Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

Trading is not easy but sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be. Probably the hardest aspect of learning how to trade is there is no good formal education that can really prepare you for being a do it yourself trader. There is so much misinformation out there that I would say you are lucky if you started out learning this method first. I have studied hundreds of methods from all the gurus and most of them are meager at best. The problem is you want to believe they know what they're talking about so you spend the time and money to learn every aspect of their trading methodology only to find out that it's all but worthless. I'm a firm believer that a trading method has to have an entry method, a stoploss method, a profit target method, and a money management method to be successful. This price action scalping method that Bob Volman teaches in his book has all of them.
With his method we can see the trees however we don't want overlook the forest. We are still scalping on a short-term timeframe so that means we need to be proficient at reading order flow. When you're watching the chart don't think of them as candles are bars think of them as buyers and sellers and both are battling to get the best price. try to keep that mental picture in your head of who's winning and who's losing.
When I'm watching the price chart and I see a range forming the first thing I do is put a block around it and I extend the block past the candles to the right side of the chart. Now watch for a range break to form the closer it gets to the top of the box the more I get prepared to pull the trigger. I also keep an eye on my level II screen as the bar break out of the box I'm watching the speed of my level II and asking myself the question are there new orders coming in? If I see a bullish breakout bar and I can see order flow coming in I'm quite confident that my range break trade is going to reach the target. Picking out head and shoulders patterns can be quite subjective at times. Try putting a box around the ranges like Mr. Volman and I do. Extend the box to the right so the price has to fill the box. The chart above is not the best example but if you look at my green arrow where I entered you can see the box extends well past my entry to the right. Doing this makes it very easy to watch the price action as it bounces along inside the box and also helps to pick out advance range breaks when it pops up for a tease and then comes back into the box.
One last thing about paper trading I'm not very fond of it it lures into a false hope or sense of security because you're emotions are not a play. With Forex is very easy to open a micro account we can at least get started trading with real money and not risk losing a lot. When you have nothing on the line it's too easy to get relaxed and/or lazy when you're watching the charts. When you have money on the line even though with the micro accounts it's just a few pennies it still helps you to stay focused on the chart. And you learn Bob's method of money management as you go along.

Hi.
I'm learning Bob's method now, and I want to learn more and more about this method.
I make use of this forum for technical improvement. Thank you.

I started to trade with this method without paper trading this Aug. That's 1 lot trading. I had traded 3 months on paper trading, and more than 200 times trading. I don't think my skills is OK, it takes much time maybe 1 year at least, I think. But it's getting better, specially I can do skip lots of my bad timing set ups.

It was just a report.

I am grateful to all of the people who help me.

Charts for Monday.

Took one trade, TPT got knocked out for 1 pip.

Attachments

• 1 - Monday.png
    1 - Monday.png
    22.8 KB · Views: 195
  • 2 - Monday.png
    2 - Monday.png
    31.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 3 - Monday.png
    3 - Monday.png
    32.2 KB · Views: 206
  • 4 - Monday.png
    4 - Monday.png
    23.6 KB · Views: 199
Yesterday's charts (always one day late because of laziness I guess).

This is actually a very good illustration of my post on the previous page. I was talking about how I like to see one last "tiny" pullback (or the last leg of a small "m" in an Mm formation) before the actual break, whereas I saw Bob take breaks without this last small pullback.

Here is an example of a situation where I took a trade with a nice barrier and squeeze but without waiting for that last pullback. My TPT got knocked out because that final pullback did come, but only after my entry. Once that pullback was over prices reverted back, built up and went for a nice downward run (I didn't reenter because of "burnt finger anxiety" as Bob calls it, but that's another issue).

Keep in mind this is EUR/JPY and not EUR/USD. Maybe the JPY is more prone to such pullbacks. Something I should keep testing on EUR/USD nonetheless because with my current method I am only taking 1-2 trades per week and miss a lot of otherwise valid setups.

Attachments

• 5 - Tuesday.png
    5 - Tuesday.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 203
  • 34 (trade).png
    34 (trade).png
    40.7 KB · Views: 218
Chain posting here...

Saw one good setup today, didn't take it (reasons on chart). My charts aren't as wide as Bob's therefore I cannot really show you the action that preceded the setup which is a shame and makes it hard to really review trades. Anybody can indicate a better way of saving charts ?

Attachments

• 6 - Wednesday.png
    6 - Wednesday.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 194
It's a shame nobody is posting anymore.

Here's a break on EUR/JPY (which I took) and on EUR/USD at the same time.

Attachments

• 5 - Thursday.png
    5 - Thursday.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 4 - Thursday.png
    4 - Thursday.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 199
Hi Giorrgi,

Sorry I havn't posted recently as well...
Nice trade on the Eur/JPY.
Here is mine of the day....
Hope you are fine and felling a little more confident than two weeks earlier ;)
Greetings

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 5.58.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-05 at 5.58.01 PM.png
    83.4 KB · Views: 294

Here's a break on EUR/JPY (which I took) and on EUR/USD at the same time.

Hey Giorrgi, have had some time out of late - lots of questioning, reflecting etc but will start posting again when back into it. I still do read the thread and appreciate all the posts. Thanks.

We're still here, very much appreciate your input

I'd be happy to chime in but I trade /6E and didn't want to pollute the thread

One thing I can add to what is taking place is, regardless of trading methodology something that should be considered is time of day.

Time of day? Day in and day out, week after week, things seems to happen at the "hour" mark.

Specifically 4, 6 8 , 10am est

Just something that perhaps should be thrown in to your bag of tricks, anything that can give a slight edge

Ride safe

-Bill_M

Hey guys,

Thanks for answering.

Willee Mac : I'd like to see how you trade futures ! Anything similar to Bob's approach? ie. breakout setups. I am curious as to how they look on instruments other than EUR/USD and EUR/JPY (personally I wasn't very convinced with breakout setups on other pairs).

Thanks for the tip on the time of day. Sometimes I find myself checking that out however I haven't managed to really see any pattern. Will check the hours you've indicated.

Obviously nothing is perfect but a lot of times 4am will reverse 3am est. Also it seems trends start at either 4am or 6am. Is this because of news is usually around those times? Could be because that would be 9am and 11am respectively on your side of the pond - as I'm sure you know London is the currency capitol of the world.

Now of course today's move came out of 5am and 7am est. The point is I watch the hour mark(s) for a continuation or reversal.

Today M5 /6E

Attachments

• 2013-09-06-TOS_CHARTS.png
    2013-09-06-TOS_CHARTS.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 436
I'll add some charts that I put together a couple of weeks ago. They are H1 /6E

-Bill

Attachments

• 2013-08-23-TOS_CHARTSa.png
    2013-08-23-TOS_CHARTSa.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 335
  • 2013-08-23-TOS_CHARTSb.png