Untitled picture.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 195
  • Untitled picture1.png
    Untitled picture1.png
    36.9 KB · Views: 157
  • Untitled picture2.png
    Untitled picture2.png
    25 KB · Views: 151
That BB looks like a solid trade to me. I think the overall bull move was strong enough and that you simply got "unlucky" this time. There seemed to be a break in the direction of your trade but it got overpowered.

I run into these situations a lot now, I can see a fight taking place, I enter on what I think is the winning party's direction, but the break isn't sufficient to carry the trade to target. I've been whining about a lot about this... these BBs seem much trickier than say an IRB or an RB. It seems to me that since the RB is a "bigger" formation, it has more potential to lead to a substantial break, whereas a BB must exist in a very strong market to do the same (since it's "thinner"). I am probably not saying anything new to you here. Do you also think that RBs "carry" prices better ? I remember Virtuesoft saying that RBs were his least profitable trades which I found weird.

That BB looks like a solid trade to me. I think the overall bull move was strong enough and that you simply got "unlucky" this time. There seemed to be a break in the direction of your trade but it got overpowered.

I run into these situations a lot now, I can see a fight taking place, I enter on what I think is the winning party's direction, but the break isn't sufficient to carry the trade to target. I've been whining about a lot about this... these BBs seem much trickier than say an IRB or an RB. It seems to me that since the RB is a "bigger" formation, it has more potential to lead to a substantial break, whereas a BB must exist in a very strong market to do the same (since it's "thinner"). I am probably not saying anything new to you here.
Indeed the BB relies more on the context. Don't worry about "not saying anything new". I think we need reminders from time to time (especially when you find yourself emotionally affected by your daily P/L).

Do you also think that RBs "carry" prices better ? I remember Virtuesoft saying that RBs were his least profitable trades which I found weird.

The RB seems more meaningful than the BB because it encapsulates more price action but I think the thing to remember is that it is just an entry technique. We still have to read the price action within the RB just as we have to read the price action outside a BB to determine if price is likely to breakout in a certain direction. As for Virturesoft, that's his own personal observation of his preferred way of trading. You will not necessarily see the same results as he does.

Did not trade today, but there was a beautiful reverse head and shoulders that developed an hour before NY close, and broke out 26 pips to the north. This is a trade I would have taken and probably tried to ride out for more than a 10 pip gain.

I remember Virtuesoft saying that RBs were his least profitable trades which I found weird.

I have found that I'm better at trading when there is momentum in the market. Therefore, I prefer the pullback setups (FB, DD, SB and BB). I still take the setups that require buildup (RB, ARB and IRB) but I'm just not as good at trading them. For this reason, I have tightened up my entry criteria for the buildup setups, and I am very picky when trading them. I think that there are a few reasons why I struggle with the buildup setups...

1) It's harder to weigh up the overall pressure.
2) The market is not moving as much so I start to doubt that the move required to carry my trade to its target will emerge.
3) The setups are often more subtle and are difficult to spot. This is more applicable to the IRB setups than the other two.
4) These types of setups usually require a slightly larger stop. Although, for the very best setups this is not always the case.

Since studying Bob's method I have learnt that you don't need to try to replicate the way Bob trades exactly. Bob is an experienced trader and is obviously extremely skilled. It will take us years to get to his level. You just need to understand his concepts and try to apply them as best as you can. Over time you will get better and better. It's important to keep a log of every trade you take and keep track of what types of setups you're trading. You can then analyse that data and see what your strengths and weaknesses are. Once you know what your strengths and weaknesses are, you can either focus on trading to your strengths, or you can study and practice at improving your weaknesses.

Last edited:
I beat myself up and then make the same mistakes all over again. Having been accustomed to a very stale market, whenever I see moves all over the place I start to look for setups where there are none and tend to overtrade. 4 trades in total, -5pips for the day... (I did miss 1-2 textbook setups because of class).

I'm not very proud of these trades so I don't really feel like posting them but I guess as BLS said it is better to expose your weaknesses for everyone to see, it might force me to work on them more.

My main problem is the FBs. I took two of those today, none of which worked out. On the second one the problem might have been a false low although I'm not sure that the trade really originated from one. That would be my main question.

Attachments

• 1 Tuesday.png
    1 Tuesday.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 460
  • 2 Tuesday.png
    2 Tuesday.png
    26.7 KB · Views: 191
  • 3 Tuesday.png
    3 Tuesday.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 211
Since studying Bob's method I have learnt that you don't need to try to replicate the way Bob trades exactly. Bob is an experienced trader and is obviously extremely skilled. It will take us years to get to his level. You just need to understand his concepts and try to apply them as best as you can. Over time you will get better and better. It's important to keep a log of every trade you take and keep track of what types of setups you're trading. You can then analyse that data and see what your strengths and weaknesses are. Once you know what your strengths and weaknesses are, you can either focus on trading to your strengths, or you can study and practice at improving your weaknesses.
Nice post Virtuesoft and i totally agree with your statement. :smart: (y)

I beat myself up and then make the same mistakes all over again. Having been accustomed to a very stale market, whenever I see moves all over the place I start to look for setups where there are none and tend to overtrade. 4 trades in total, -5pips for the day... (I did miss 1-2 textbook setups because of class).

I'm not very proud of these trades so I don't really feel like posting them but I guess as BLS said it is better to expose your weaknesses for everyone to see, it might force me to work on them more.
It also allows others to give you helpful feedback. You should view everyday as a valuable learning experience whether you are profitable or not.

My main problem is the FBs. I took two of those today, none of which worked out. On the second one the problem might have been a false low although I'm not sure that the trade really originated from one. That would be my main question.

FB needs extraordinary circumstances for them to work well (hence you don't see Bob taking that many of them). I think this one was unfavorable because the move originated from the lows of the chart (not quite a false low but looks like the lows of the chart), blew past resistance (around the 80) and pulled right back to that resistance area (looks a lot like 15.4 after flipping through the chapter). It's easy to get caught up in the current price action but hard to keep tabs on the overall picture. Hopefully each mistake you make brings you one step closer to price action mastery.

That said, time to show my mistakes today. E1 looks horrible in hindsight but I thought it kind of looked like the second attempt BB setup Bob showed in his recent charts ( I thought so at the time anyway because I guess I really wanted to trade). E2 had a rough upper barrier but I thought the bears were really getting squeezed by the bulls. Bears stepped in ahead of the 60 level though.

Attachments

• Untitled picture4.png
    Untitled picture4.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Untitled picture3.png
    Untitled picture3.png
    21.7 KB · Views: 207
  • Untitled picture2.png
    Untitled picture2.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Untitled picture1.png
    Untitled picture1.png
    28 KB · Views: 199
  • Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 213
  • Untitled picture5.png
    Untitled picture5.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 184
I have found that I'm better at trading when there is momentum in the market. Therefore, I prefer the pullback setups (FB, DD, SB and BB). I still take the setups that require buildup (RB, ARB and IRB) but I'm just not as good at trading them. For this reason, I have tightened up my entry criteria for the buildup setups, and I am very picky when trading them. I think that there are a few reasons why I struggle with the buildup setups...

1) It's harder to weigh up the overall pressure.
2) The market is not moving as much so I start to doubt that the move required to carry my trade to its target will emerge.
3) The setups are often more subtle and are difficult to spot. This is more applicable to the IRB setups than the other two.
4) These types of setups usually require a slightly larger stop. Although, for the very best setups this is not always the case.

This is a sensible comment. I agree with most of it. I like Rbs because most of them just ask to be traded and I have the time to prepare myself, to asses the proper TPT, the possible outcomes, etc. With IRB, I dont get to asses all of these, I obviusly get to see the block that forms it, but from that to calculate the possible outcomes, the possible point where the follow through may lack, (7 pip in example) there is a great difference. That I cannot do at this point, IMO, it requieres experience. Giorrgi mentioned the FBs, latetly I have been thinking about those, I dont take them at this point because in my opinion, it takes lots of work to spot a good RB or DD or ARB, just to lose that hardowork and money in a matter of seconds with a false FB, now that I think about it, FB might even requiere more XP than IRB, and its faster than IRB, and because of the power of the bars, it usually will have a big stop as well. Conditions are exceptional, like BLS mentioned.

Regarding Virtuesoft's comment, I agree, that is all about keep learning, and profiting at the moment out of the setups we are strong with, while keeping an eye on those that gives us trouble these days. Im even experimenting with new setups of my own, based on the concepts of Mr. Bob. Those (similar situation to IRB, FB) I dont trade, I just observe, and reharse and experiment, like Mr. Bob mentioned on the last page of U. Conditions chapter.

That said, time to show my mistakes today. E1 looks horrible in hindsight but I thought it kind of looked like the second attempt BB setup Bob showed in his recent charts ( I thought so at the time anyway because I guess I really wanted to trade). E2 had a rough upper barrier but I thought the bears were really getting squeezed by the bulls. Bears stepped in ahead of the 60 level though.

Thx for showing these charts BLS, I was trapped on False break from chart 2 and on lack of follow trough from chart 4.

I don't know if you guys who are just trading EUR-USD have considered switching to EUR-JPY but I am getting reams of good trades out of this pair (vs EUR-USD).

Per myfxbook I am up 115 pips on the the EUR-JPY and down -11 pips on the EUR-USD this month.

My broker (including commissions) is averaging just less than 1 pip for EUR-JPY at the time of writing as per fxintel.com.

Just for info.

M

I don't know if you guys who are just trading EUR-USD have considered switching to EUR-JPY but I am getting reams of good trades out of this pair (vs EUR-USD).

Per myfxbook I am up 115 pips on the the EUR-JPY and down -11 pips on the EUR-USD this month.

My broker (including commissions) is averaging just less than 1 pip for EUR-JPY at the time of writing as per fxintel.com.

Just for info.

M

I have found EURJPY much more profitable too. There is often more movement, more setups and more follow through.

Which broker are you with? I'm with LCGFX, they're good but the spread is around 1.3 pips plus $15 USD per million each way in commissions. Your broker sounds better.

I've been looking at the EUR/JPY this morning, in addition to EUR/$$. Both pairs seem to evolve very similarly, ie. if one goes up the other follows etc. Is this usual ?

I've been looking at the EUR/JPY this morning, in addition to EUR/$$. Both pairs seem to evolve very similarly, ie. if one goes up the other follows etc. Is this usual ?

Yes, both pairs generally move in the same direction. However, EURJPY seems to move further and faster.

If you have enough room on your computer, you could watch EURJPY, EURUSD and USDJPY. This will give you a triad correlation. Monitoring a triad correlation like this makes it easier to spot specific currency strengths or weaknesses. For example, if EURJPY and EURUSD are moving higher but USDJPY is relatively static, EUR is obvioulsy very strong. Alternatively, if EURJPY and USDJPY are moving lower but EURUSD is relatively static, JPY is obviously strong.

It might not help you that much when scalping with Bob's method. It's not particularly hard to spot when the market is moving strongly anyway. However, it's an interesting correlation and is worth looking at if you're considering trading both EURUSD and EURJPY.