Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

Hey guys,

Haven't been posting anything either mostly cos I'm kinda busy and always out in the evening and forget to post here when I come back.

Am having the biggest streak of losers that I've ever had so far but I'm much less stressed about it. I just realized that I was far from being proficient at this for now so I just need to relax and keep at it.

Here are some charts from Wednesday on, I'd appreciate any comments (the least one is Friday, just moments ago).

Edit: BLS, just saw your charts. I'm kinda surprised you took the trade on your last chart (n.3 in my charts), that bearish bar was pretty long, but regarding overall conditions it was probably the highest odds setup I saw this week.

The other trades are kinda similar to what I'm doing, I'm just too lazy to dig in and find out if I took the exact same ones. I think market conditions are kinda hard right now. There seem to be at least 2-3 Mm/Ww ranges or BBs per day but a lot of these breaks fail.

Attachments

• 4 - Wednesday.png
    4 - Wednesday.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 187
  • 5 - Thursday.png
    5 - Thursday.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 235
  • 6 - Thursday.png
    6 - Thursday.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 188
  • 7 - Thursday.png
    7 - Thursday.png
    26 KB · Views: 184
  • 8 - Friday.png
    8 - Friday.png
    27.8 KB · Views: 192
Am having the biggest streak of losers that I've ever had so far but I'm much less stressed about it. I just realized that I was far from being proficient at this for now so I just need to relax and keep at it.

Here are some charts from Wednesday on, I'd appreciate any comments (the least one is Friday, just moments ago).

Chart 1: Outcome is rather unfortunate but the trade looks good.

Chart 2: First trade is a bit tricky because there's a cluster right on top of the range (it's not on your chart but if you scroll back a little you'll see it. The range itself is lengthy so this seems like one of those optional trade. Second trade has good build up but still looks tricky to me. If you were worried about that cluster I was talking about then that tipping point is fine, but the question becomes how worried should we be about that cluster? I'm not sure.

Edit: BLS, just saw your charts. I'm kinda surprised you took the trade on your last chart (n.3 in my charts), that bearish bar was pretty long, but regarding overall conditions it was probably the highest odds setup I saw this week.

Chart 3: Try shrinking your charts vertically a bit and that bear candle won't look so large :p. I still struggle sometimes with keeping the overall picture in mind in regards to the quality of the setup. Don't worry about it but do take note of it. As for that ARB the tipping point would definitely have to be on the barrier.

Chart 4: That appeared at the end of a big down move. There's no convincing bottoming pattern (like a Ww) and you've got a possible adverse magnet effect (just as you pointed out).

Chart 5: I was tempted to take this one as well but I thought it was rather tricky because the it would be trading straight into the 20 level. Other than that I don't have a rational reason for not wanting to take that trade. I thought that big M was nice but something in the back of my mind said not to take it. It might be burnt finger anxiety since I seem to find myself trading into 20 lvl resistance a lot. You tipping point is too wide in this case. I think the tightest stop, 5 pip, was sufficient to find out if the 20 lvl would be trouble or not.

I just noticed this but I guess you can consider the move from the 00 to the 35 as an AB move and that shorting where you did would be into a 50% retracement. Maybe, not quite sure. As you said this week just sucked :(.

Hey guys,

Haven't been posting anything either mostly cos I'm kinda busy and always out in the evening and forget to post here when I come back.

The other trades are kinda similar to what I'm doing, I'm just too lazy to dig in and find out if I took the exact same ones. I think market conditions are kinda hard right now. There seem to be at least 2-3 Mm/Ww ranges or BBs per day but a lot of these breaks fail.

Chart 1: I agree with BLS that this trade is valid, albeit of debatable quality. When price drops from the top to the bottom of a range in the way it did here (from around 20 to around 10) then proceeds to make somewhat of a wedge formation (diagonal squeeze into signal line) without a significant bounce it may not catch as much follow through. One could argue that there would be more traders willing to buy on this break than sell. But what I have noticed is that once the market has a few more pushes away from the possible signal line, preferably with false breaks, many more traders will be caught long if and when the market finally succumbs to bearish pressure. I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I'm learning that one can be quite a bit more patient with these barrier trades, waiting till that moment when the pressure/predicament of those trapped becomes unbearable and those on the sidelines can't help but join in.

The benefit of waiting for superior set-ups to evolve as one is learning is that it really does keep you out of a LOT of losing trades that in hindsight were clearly invalid, or of debatable quality at best. It also often means you are not entering prematurely and risking being stopped out of a potential winning trade before it even takes off. As we know, with this method of trading timing is everything. And yes, it will mean you miss some moves that head off without you onboard. However, as the aim of the game is to develop confidence in your ability to read price action and execute your edge, I am starting to believe that the sidelines is the best place to be if doubtful at all. At least when not in position you are learning from watching the market objectively, with the hope of learning and recognising more and more non-debatable set-ups.

I also believe that you need 2 things to take a trade: a valid set-up, and inner conviction or intuitive support. Yes this is entering the realm of the subjective, but after all, we are dealing with a discretionary system whose success relies on the skill of the executioner; skill that can only be built up over countless hours of screen time, watching and observing how markets move. Over this time one develops an intuitive capacity for pattern recognition that cannot always be explained, however hard the rational mind may try.

Having said all that, one needs to place trades to get experience. So it's a bit of a balancing act, knowing when to show prudence or aggression; to not fall into complacency when observing, not wanting to make a 'mistake', and thereby missing perfectly valid trades, and not swinging the other way, and taking any 'seemingly valid' set-up that comes along, or trading on tilt after a loss or two.

It's an interesting game this....GOD I CAN WAFFLE....sorry. I think I'm writing this more for my own benefit than anyone else's - to get my own thoughts straight. Anyone who's reading this - thanks for entertaining me...

I guess I had somewhat of a revelatory experience this week - seeing trading from a different point of view. Up until recently I have struggled with the notion of being a trader because I didn't see any intrinsic worth in the act of trading itself; you know, just doing something for money that doesn't help anyone or contribute anything to society. However, I am beginning to see it as a real vehicle for self-development. The self-awareness one must have at all times to be a successful trader is extreme. The opportunity one has to develop empathy and intuition too is high. Then there is the psychological side of things and the interest in human behaviour (which I've always had). All this adds up to not only becoming a better trader, but also a better person, and what goal is more worthy.

Right, back to the charts, hahaha

Chart 2: I actually took the initial break of the ARB line you indicated - ouch! which hurt. And yes, I was concerned about the cluster BLS mentioned but it didn't seem as outspoken as the build-up below it, plus the trend was up. Anyway, it was premature on my part. As for your trade, I think you should have at least waited for a break of the ARB line.

The second trade I also took and believe it is definitely valid - being a Mm pattern and the second attempt to move higher. But yes, I believe you trailed your stop too aggressively. I actually kept mine below the ARB line you indicated to allow for a test of the barrier. Luckily it paid off. Will be interesting to see if Bob took this trade and if so how he managed it. However, I taking more and more heed to his advice of giving trades more room to move than not enough.

Chart 3: I think BLS's way of trading this move was valid and I also believe your potential trade was even better. As for the stop, I probably would have given it a couple of extra pips above the barrier depicted to allow for a ceiling test of the last arch, which Bob indicates is all too common.

Chart 4: I agree it was best to skip this trade. The market could easily have dropped back down to test the strength of the prior double bottom. I keep reminding myself of Bob's stress on the highest probability trades stemming from proper build-up - meaning the market usually moves in step-wise fashion, in this case this would mean testing the support to the left to some degree before moving on. Of course one can argue this reflects potential strength, but it can often result in a quick stop out.

Chart 5: I think this example is quite similar to your first chart, except this one (as BLS points out) is entering right into potential 20 level support and also into the support of a bull flag break out to the left. Best give it more time to build up.

Hey giorrgi,

I've some different point of view respect BLS and Matty.

In the first chart the RB (by the way I think this is a IRB cuz the pattern was the BB 1 pip before the support line of the range) isn't a great one. After prices sqeeze on the lower range line, pierce the
ema and then break down with a single 3 pips bar. This isn't my idea of RB, I want see prices sqeeze, ema following prices and then breakout from a box. A PA like the one described suggest me to wait for an ARB (i.e. a pullback after the break and then fire a sh order on the continuation downside).

second chart. Don't understand the first trade, I don't see anything, anyway u are couple of pips before the barrier and some minutes ago prices show a fail. EMA is flat (very important!). The second trade is a textbook one.

third chart. no thinking here, only fire a short order. As BLS remebered me focus on the overall picture and not only on the pattern. This is a perfect ARB-RB. Strong sell momentum, typical consolidation phase of the market prices break downside after a box and then prints some dojis below the barrier...simply perfect.

fourth. A good build up IMHO. But at the time I wasn't at the monitor and I don't know how prices behave before the range...a tradable one but skip this if u are not sure!

fifth. You are on the 20 lvl. On this lvl lots of battle in the last days, no doubt this was a lvl where we must pay attenction. The setup itself is good, price sqeeze and EMA follow but if prices are in range between 00 and 40 from a couple hours is also true that now prices are in range between 20 and 40 and prices make this range after an upmove (the breakout u skipped right?). Then we have a very important lvl, if this setup is tradable as I say, I prefer skip the situation where i find lots of but and if. This is only my point of view, probably we have a different way of thinking, but I tell u this only for
sharing not to teach or anything else.

Hey everyone,

Thanks a lot for the lengthy comments !!

I'm having trouble with this whole "20 level" issue. I now noticed at least 3-4 situations where a 00 or 50 level + an unclear barrier have lead to a mediocre or failing breakout. However, I seldom see strong resistance to 20 levels. Very often breaks form just before a 20 level (simply because there's not much space on the chart where you're not close to either a 20, 40, 60 or 80 level) and it seems that one would have to skip a lot of very tradable setups because of this.

Of course my charts from this week seem to indicate that I have to study the issue closely. I'll recheck Bob's charts.

Thanks a lot for the observations.

Some trades from today London session.
I took an in deph look at BV weekly chart. Obviously he is the master and I noticed how carefully choose the trades. He wants the best from the market...I think I'll work on this.

LoSparviero - the ARB on your second chart is the only good trade I noticed from yesterday (didn't take it though). However the BB that followed doesn't seem like it fits Volman's criteria.

LoSparviero - the ARB on your second chart is the only good trade I noticed from yesterday (didn't take it though). However the BB that followed doesn't seem like it fits Volman's criteria.

under news I look for any tradable setup to follow the trend. Don't now if the BB fit BV criteria at glance. I'll re-read the BB chapter, what is the problem with the pattern in your opinion (thx for the remark).

Well BBs are the hardest patterns IMO. If I take one I either look for a Head and Shoulders variant, or double/triple bottom. Here you had a clear barrier line but that was it. But you post a lot of these sort of trades and they seem to work out so I'm interested how you find them. I used to take these types f trades and get burned a lot.

well I'm thinking a lot about this. As I said yesterday looking at "the master" (BV) charts theese setups are to skip, for sure!. He wants the perfect setup to act. Anyway I take theese trades beacause of my personal experience on the market (this can be detrimental using BV method, of course!). probably I re-interpret some BV concept. In this type of trades when prices are near 20ema, and it is following prices sharply, if prices make a box of dojis this tell me that counters are unable to contrast the trendfollowers. the 20ema area give me an idea about the right depth of the PB to act. Yes there's a barrier but in a strong upmove (like this one after news relase) I like to see e double top or an high fail to identify a real obstacle. This is the way I tought. Anyway i re-read the chapter for sure, u know the temptation to move far from the method and make your personal strategy is strong :)

Thanks for clarifying !

"the 20ema area give me an idea about the right depth of the PB to act. " what do you mean by this? In your 2nd chart the BB didn't start from a pullback type of situation.

Last edited:
Thanks for clarifying !

"the 20ema area give me an idea about the right depth of the PB to act. " what do you mean by this? In your 2nd chart the BB didn't start from a pullback type of situation.

Sorry for the mistake. (I have to improve my english :( ) I would say retracement

Although I didn't take any trades today, I felt like the market was pretty generous: most of the setups that I identified worked out. I didn't trade them simply because in the past very similar setups to these failed. Today prices were less choppy and actually allowed to scalp 10 pips most of the time.

There was one perfect RB that I would've taken if I had been looking at the screen at that point, however I was busy...

Attachments

• 5 - Tuesday.png
    5 - Tuesday.png
    29.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 4 - Tuesday.png
    4 - Tuesday.png
    24.1 KB · Views: 266
  • 3 - Tuesday.png
    3 - Tuesday.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 332
  • 2 - Tuesday.png
    2 - Tuesday.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 218
Got caught in what turned out to be a nasty false break. I can't see much wrong with it other than the 00 level potentially being choppy but I might just be too focused on the setup (which I thought looked really good).

Attachments

• Untitled picture.png
    Untitled picture.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 275
Didn't take any trades today. Prices were choppy, don't know if it's partially ProRealTime or the news releases.