Big Excel model, need speed

No Quarter

44 2
thanks Atilla, will look into it more. It should be said though, that I bought this Optiplex and a 4k screen for this purpose in spring, and since it had on it the 64 bit W10, I assume the motherboard can handle 64. I've only added the Office 2010, first in 32 bit version not knowing any better, but now in 64 bit. So this should be a 64 bit machine, hw, windows and Excel.
Could it be the graphics card, I have the 4k 43" screen that's HD quality, might require some RAM? Only guessing.

Motherboard, called baseboard:
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Not Available (!)
Name: Baseboard
Useless!

Atilla

Legendary member
19,001 2,669
thanks Atilla, will look into it more. It should be said though, that I bought this Optiplex and a 4k screen for this purpose in spring, and since it had on it the 64 bit W10, I assume the motherboard can handle 64. I've only added the Office 2010, first in 32 bit version not knowing any better, but now in 64 bit. So this should be a 64 bit machine, hw, windows and Excel.
Could it be the graphics card, I have the 4k 43" screen that's HD quality, might require some RAM? Only guessing.

Motherboard, called baseboard:
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Not Available (!)
Name: Baseboard
Useless!

Dell Desktop-HDS66B2 ? Nothing comes up on google search for this model. I've checked dell.co.uk as well.

Re: CPU - Intel Pentium G4560@3.50GHz 3.50GHz - I've checked again and it may be this CPU https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/pentium/g4560.html
Looking at the specification it's not great and quite a few reviews worth reading in that link. Says it struggles under heavy loads. It only has 3mb cache. Not for heavy computing. Some say it's equivalent to i3 chipsets. https://www.hardwaresecrets.com/pentium-g4560-cpu-by-intel-review/6/
1545776925553.png

If it is then my previous comment about it being old and released in 2006 may have been wrong as it says release date was Q1 17. Although the original Pentium 4 was released in 2006 seems Intel may have just released an old chipset for the low end of the market. That list for the new chipsets is what I would go by. The price of G4560 starting at $60 doesn't sound very brand spanking new? The new i9's are priced at $500+

In general if you are looking for performance, the HW, OS and SW needs to be looked at in detail and obviously, all configured for 64-bit. Is Excel / Office, definitely verified as running 64-bit. Worth checking.

Bit like when buying diamonds, so many facets and characteristics it's difficult to know what one is looking at.

You said on earlier post CPU is at 23% most of the time. Is that the case when your XLS is computing when waiting 2-4mins?

Go to TASK MANAGER/PERFORMANCE/RESOURCE METER and then whilst watching it run through your excel sheet. Hopefully you may be able to identify where the delay or heavy utilisation of resources are. Pretty intuitive I'd say.

Last edited:

No Quarter

44 2
I experimented with using the cloud. Had to find a smaller file (<5MB) to do for free, it took 45 seconds on my PC. Uploaded to Excel Online onedrive.live.com it calculated consistently in about 35 seconds. So not a major difference worth going to the cloud for. Now, I assume (?) that in the cloud you have all the power you can have, so does that mean that even if I spent a fortune on hw and sw, I would never get a 70-90% reduction in calculation time? Or can I not conclude like that?

Just for the Excel nerd to understand why it takes so long: calculating my sheet functions takes a split second. But I run 15x15 tables to constantly optimize, so I do in fact calculate the sheet 225 times in that 45 seconds. Some of my models have 4 tabels, equal to calculating the sheet 900 times. That's why I need power...

BTW, the programmers do have a sense of humour. First the screen say "Working on it...". Later it says "Still working on it..." :)

Atilla

Legendary member
19,001 2,669
I'm sure just as you have file size limit, when using the cloud there is likely to be throttling limits set by cloud operator on how much CPU and RAM power is allocated to any one user.

Why not stick your file on a USB key and take it to Curry's and ask if you can Try-Before-You-Buy with one of their assistants.

I'm sure they'll let you test out your one file on a laptop. They may not based on security concerns but worth a quick shot. They probably will not understand what your file does or how to use it either.

I would say if you get better performance in cloud, then your local setup is the issue. :unsure:

No Quarter

44 2
Curry's? I'm in Denmark. I may find locally. And you're right, the file is so complex and not user friendly, nobody will benefit from it.

Just remembered I have a friend selling servers at Dell locally, I'll talk to him. Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: Atilla

No Quarter

44 2
Atilla, some progress. Found some excel optimizing sites and cleaned up the file a bit, helped a little. I then reduced my 13x15 tables to 10x13, which of course reduces time by 5/15. I did all this on my laptop, not the stand alone desktop I bought for this. Then I moved the sheet to the desktop, and it's now twice as fast as the laptop (32 bit), don't think it was before. What all this means is that I now have a 20 sec sheet (per table), and since I mostly use only one table, that's liveable.
Strangely Excel now uses 3.9 GB Memory, up from 2.4, have no idea why? Still annoys me I have 20GB Ram that isn't used...

Last edited:

Atilla

Legendary member
19,001 2,669
Atilla, some progress. Found some excel optimizing sites and cleaned up the file a bit, helped a little. I then reduced my 13x15 tables to 10x13, which of course reduces time by 5/15. I did all this on my laptop, not the stand alone desktop I bought for this. Then I moved the sheet to the desktop, and it's now twice as fast as the laptop (32 bit), don't think it was before. What all this means is that I now have a 20 sec sheet (per table), and since I mostly use only one table, that's liveable.
Strangely Excel now uses 3.9 GB Memory, up from 2.4, have no idea why? Still annoys me I have 20GB Ram that isn't used...
That is excellent news NQ.

I don't understand the development side so much but that is good news. Googling the question gives the following replies which is in it self is not conclusive in defining what your optimal solution may be either?

1545840486424.png

Perhaps just a little more bit of effort and you may get to an ideal satisfactory position.

Good work and it has been interesting for me to delv back into the good old days of real computing. Haha. :geek:

Wish you all the best in your journey. PS don't neglect your studies even if you make your millions. Take it to the max (y)

No Quarter

44 2
My studies ;-) I'm 58, and trading is to make me able to retire. I'm now seeing my account grow, but pretty slowly, but after 2½ years of seeing my money disappear, it's good news.

About your pastes, the W10 preinstalled claims to be 64 bit, and now with 64 bit Excel, I should be ok?

Reactions: Atilla

Atilla

Legendary member
19,001 2,669
My studies ;-) I'm 58, and trading is to make me able to retire. I'm now seeing my account grow, but pretty slowly, but after 2½ years of seeing my money disappear, it's good news.

About your pastes, the W10 preinstalled claims to be 64 bit, and now with 64 bit Excel, I should be ok?

LOL - why did I think you were studying and in the UK??? No idea. Maybe I should cut down on the spirits :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock