Betfair Tennis Trading

Hi guys.

Are there any tennis traders here?

Tennis trading (or sports trading in general) may be a decent training ground for newbie traders to learn the ropes of trading, for a few reasons:

-You can trade with pennies to start out with.
-The markets have a bottom, so you can essentially put on trades with a 'built in stop-loss'
-If you trade the women's matches you get to watch some good-looking girls run around in short skirts :clap:

If you're interested check out the site in my signature. Its 100% free with good solid information.

Good luck all and stay lucky.

Nothing new mate, been around years now. You can trade just about any sport or horse racing. Google Betfair trading and you'll see.

hi, wow - a new post who is not vendoring (yet). i trade it occasionally, i tried it for about a month but gave it up for 3 reasons:
1. late nights, timezone differences.
2. womens tennis - 2nd tier clay court tourney for instance, i wld lay the server at 15-30 down hoping for a break and hold to scalp out a few ticks.....but then she wld get broken immediately - and this wld go on for most of the match. the odds didnt move much cos a break became priced in. heather watson in winning that tourney recently won one match where there was smthg like 15 breaks of serve, and shes 50 in the world.
3. i like watching most sport, esp tennis. i cld not relax esp for the big games.

i will occasionally trade majors early rounds, am off to the aussie open this jan so will try a bit of courtside betting for some arbs - which obv is being done by others.

not entirely sure what your site is offering for free though, i cannot see much about strategies? i can give some strats here for free if anyone is interested. i dont see anything about platforms, that wld be useful to a newbie - not sure what the BF platform is like but i always used independent ones. also theres the commissions in BF now - basically you get buggered if you start doing well, not sure if betdaq is liquid enough now.

btw there is a sports betting section which this wld fit into better.

and please can you enlighten us how you came to that conclusion?

if that was the case then you and everyone else wld be millionnaires cause its easy to predict the outcome of tennis matches.

what makes tennis a great sport for trading is there are clear momentum swings in a lot of matches, and these can last for just a few games at a time, and they 'can be' fairly easy to spot (footy matches in comparison dont swing much, and when they do its generally only once). which means that even if you did back the wrong player at the start (if you had a view) you will get a reasonable chance to lay that price off & get back in, hopefully on the right side. and then you should be in a reasonable position to take some ticks from it, flatten your position and jump back in when you see momentum changing eg when the person starts struggling with holding serve, going break points down etc etc. you can be flat & green (in profit) by the end of the first set, before things get choppy eg if it goes to a final set. and btw none of this has anything to do with predicting anything, instead its trading what you see, just like trading PA and using good MM to keep losses small & wins bigger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tennis trading (or sports trading in general) may be a decent training ground for newbie traders to learn the ropes of trading, for a few reasons:

-You can trade with pennies to start out with.
-The markets have a bottom, so you can essentially put on trades with a 'built in stop-loss'
-If you trade the women's matches you get to watch some good-looking girls run around in short skirts :clap:

Ahem, thanks, but
- realistically, you cannot start with "pennies" - you need to both back and lay for at least £2 on betfair (you can place smaller bets, but it is a bit fiddly, especially when betting live)
- yes, there is a "stop-loss". Basically, you lose ALL that you risked. Does this make it easier ?
- I would not recommend trading women's tennis for beginners. It's max 3 sets and much more unpredictable. I would actually steer clear of it - much higher risk compared to men's tennis.

That's my 2p, for you to decide.

Ahem, thanks, but
- realistically, you cannot start with "pennies" - you need to both back and lay for at least £2 on betfair (you can place smaller bets, but it is a bit fiddly, especially when betting live)
- yes, there is a "stop-loss". Basically, you lose ALL that you risked. Does this make it easier ?
- I would not recommend trading women's tennis for beginners. It's max 3 sets and much more unpredictable. I would actually steer clear of it - much higher risk compared to men's tennis.

That's my 2p, for you to decide.

all good points.

but on some platforms you can also stick in a stop loss (on the custom platforms / programme a stop loss through excel api) but they are not always that effective as market moves can be v quick and often your price has gone before its had time to trigger - so its not as binary as either win/lose complete stake if the player you backed wins/loses.

I used to do this a bit, with a small level of success.

I'd stick to womens tennis and lay any time there is a break. (unless one of the Big 4 are playing, Williams, Sharapova, Azaerenka). The market seems to overestimate the power of the break in womens tennis. Its not as a powerful weapon as it is in the mens game. So i'd wait for these breaks, and try and lay the relevant player as prices below 1.7.

If you want to t start betting on sports there are far more exciting sports to bet on .

You can bet and still have fun as exciting sports are more unpredictable so you can make easy money on the underdog .

I guess with womens tennis whish is relatively predictable you can easily develop a betting system to make money . But I guess winnings will be low and considering time consumed it will be money made the "hard" way

Ps The skirts are nice though
icon6.gif

Tennis Trading is indeed an interesting area........along with Pro Golf and the usual culprits like footy etc etc

amazing how all of this has developed in such a short time ....verses the time I have been following sports Gambling (since the 1960's)........

technology bringith the opportunies .........what next I ask ?

N

Can't say i've ever been aware of it. Sounds like it's a good way to lose a fair bit of money :p

Oh wow I had totally forgotten about this thread. Great to see there's been some discussion about trading tennis on betfair.

I've got some stuff to do now but I will definitely come and give my views and replies to this a little bit later on!

Ok finally got some time to reply to some of the comments posted.

"Ahem, thanks, but
- I would not recommend trading women's tennis for beginners. It's max 3 sets and much more unpredictable. I would actually steer clear of it - much higher risk compared to men's tennis."

- Yes, you CAN realistically start with pennies when you open your position with a lay bet. If you lay your £2 at say 1.03, your risk is £0.06 (6 pennies) if you left it as a straight bet.
- I never said anything about it making it easier. In fact I would never call it easy in the first place, but the fact that there is a defined bottom to the market is a big plus, so if you are smart with what you risk in the first place, I consider it to be a built-in stop-loss.
- I wouldnt recommend actually trading AT ALL to start with, men or womens matches. I would reccommend just watching the markets and how they react and move to different situations on the court, before you even consider putting any money into the market. Some people will be able read the mens matches better, others will read womens better. Some wont be able to read them at all.

"not entirely sure what your site is offering for free though, i cannot see much about strategies?"

I'm not offering any strategies on the site. People looking for strategies to apply to all markets are going to get burnt eventually. The site offers good solid information on learning how to read the markets and the type of things to be on the look out for when you are formulating your own approach to Betfair tennis trading (and sports trading in general)

"i will occasionally trade majors early rounds, am off to the aussie open this jan so will try a bit of courtside betting for some arbs - which obv is being done by others."

Good luck with this, would love to go someday. But my guess is that you will find it difficult to beat the processional courtsiders with their time tested technology. But hey if you get it right it is FREE MONEY (y) (so long as you press the right button otherwise its free money for someone else :eek: )

"Tennis Trading is indeed an interesting area........along with Pro Golf and the usual culprits like footy etc etc

amazing how all of this has developed in such a short time ....verses the time I have been following sports Gambling (since the 1960's)........

technology bringith the opportunies .........what next I ask ?"

NBA, NFL, Darts, Cricket, Golf are all great sports that I trade. People do well on football (soccer) horse-racing and so on. It has all developed very quickly, and if the USA's online gambling laws are ever scrapped I reckon the liquidity of most things will explode!

"Yup. Start investing, maybe time or money to learn how it works, then you plunge in. It works in virtually almost at everything too."

Great advice. I'd say invest time and see if you can see an angle. Get hold of one of the Betfair trading software packages (I'd recommend The Geek's Toy, Gruss or Betangel) Then take the plunge with a small amount of money and build it.

Check out the site in my signature (100% free and no plans to sell anything ever) the Geek's Toy's forum and the Betangel forum for more information.

Stay lucky all (y)

Fred (Liability Trader)

hello, i am betfair full-time trader since 4 years and since short time i started to trade for customers with a ROI of 35% per month on average. If you are interested to join me or share trading views dont hesitate add me in msn [email protected] or mail me in that adress