Best tools for swing trading

mrchuffster

Hello all,

Just a few questions.

What charting tools would you recommend for swing trading, has anyone used Hot Trader ?
Do you need to bother with a live feed for this sort of trading - is that only for intraday?

Regards.

hi mrchuffster,

does Hot Trader have a website ?
if so, appreciate a link.

swing-trading - still using old Marc Rivs approach. ( EOD )

edit add: am reading Alan Farleys Master Swing Trader.

I dip into it rather than read it cover to cover.

Best thing to do, I find, is find something you really click with - and add it to your trading tools.

Then, find something else, then add it.

for example, the NR7 is something I have added - quite useful ( the coiled spring ) - quite profitable.

I will try to use this for a few weeks, and become comfortable with it.

Then, bit by bit, add new things - and use them.

That way, I dont feel so overwhelmed with the book.

it is a BIG book - but lots for anyone to find something they can click with.

dont try to think you have to learn everything in it.

each new technique improves your profitability.

Thanks for your helpful reply, trendie. I see what you mean. I intended to read it from cover to cover and was finding it a bit off-putting. I'll try it in more easily-digestible chunks and see how I get on. :)

I have tried to read Alan Farley Master Swing Trader.

I read (on this site) that it is best to read from Ch4 onwards then return to p1.

To be honest, think it is a hugely well-researched book but next to impossible to use as a basis for replicating his techniques. We can all learn from his approach, market behaviour observations and discipline, but totally useless as a trade planner.

Must go now, my cat is amongst the pigeons....

tomorton said:
I have tried to read Alan Farley Master Swing Trader.

I read (on this site) that it is best to read from Ch4 onwards then return to p1.

To be honest, think it is a hugely well-researched book but next to impossible to use as a basis for replicating his techniques. We can all learn from his approach, market behaviour observations and discipline, but totally useless as a trade planner.

Must go now, my cat is amongst the pigeons....

My approach is to take bits that make sense, and use them, and leave out bits that dont make sense to me or dont fit into my mindset.

NR7 is something I have added.

I am also looking at the "Finger Finder". I will make a point to seek these when Itrade the Dow.
If, over a period of time, I can empirically see they make sense, I will adopt them.

Yeah ive been reading Alans book too. I think the way to read it is how trendie says. Sometimes i feel he takes the long way to explain things when a simple chart to show what he's saying would do the trick.

Great book though!

Have been reading this book also for quite a while now and follow trendie's approach. As for tools for swing tading, I like to keep it simple, chart patterns, moving averages fibonacci, and trendlines, and the most important ingredient, volume