Best Internet Browsers

Ambrose Ackroyd

Yesterday I downloaded IE9 which is a vast improvement on its predecessor in terms of speed.

I am now being told by my daughter that I should try out Google Chrome which she reckons is much faster than IE.

Could someone with knowledge of these things please enlighten me as to the best browsers around, both in terms of quality and speed.

Many thanks

It depends on what you requirements are. Chrome is very fast and the most secure of the more popular browsers. I like firefox because of all the add-ons you can use but Chrome is quickly catching up in this area. IE is poor in my view.

Paul

I use Firefox, Safari, and Opera.

Firefox has always been my main browser but V4 is step backwards IMO, for some reason they've chosen to juggle all the menu and tool-bar options about and it's very annoying not being able to find anything.

Opera is good but has lately been having problems loading pages with Flash animation.

Safari is quite good, it's fast and straightforward and has some useful features such as its 'top sites' page.

Gave up on Chrome because I kept having problems with it.

Last edited:
I'm Chrome all the way. Very fast, very secure, incorporates google searching features that makes their search engine a pleasure to work with.

I have been thinking of replacing IE and as a non-IT tech person I found this interesting -
http://internet-browser-review.toptenreviews.com/

However (said he, getting on another hobby horse),changing browsers will improve life a little tiny bit but until you've switched from driving a manual to an automatic, it can't be top of the to-do list.

I have driven automatics for at least 30 years.

Wouldn't have it any other way .... changing gears is a pain in the ar*se, never mind the elbow.

Driving a car with manual transmission would be akin to still using Netscape Navigator.

However, changing web browsers, or simply adding one , only takes a few minutes so there really isn't too much to think about.

I see Firefox is number 1 but I didn't get along with it.

Chrome seems much simpler.

I see Firefox is number 1 but I didn't get along with it.

Chrome seems much simpler.

I have not been a huge fan of Firefox, but version 4 is something spectacular. I like Firefox 4 on Windows, but on Mac it sucks.

I like when you browser has a small 'head'.:clover:

firefox off a ramdisk partition, all the benefits of FF, none of the loading issues.

Yesterday I downloaded IE9 which is a vast improvement on its predecessor in terms of speed.

I am now being told by my daughter that I should try out Google Chrome which she reckons is much faster than IE.

Could someone with knowledge of these things please enlighten me as to the best browsers around, both in terms of quality and speed.

Many thanks

Try have a few systems on your computer so that you can have a chance to be familiar with all of them. My favorite right now is FireFox, I don't use Google Chrome since I have FreeCharts software installed and it makes Chrome slow down.

Nothing is perfect, some day FireFoc is slow, I use IE, and some software program could only work with IE.
I'm also a paid custome of AOL, it's not too good but some day it becomes the best of the group, AOL gave me trouble last week, it is fixed now but I still can't attach file in my sending mail, I'll work on that this weekend.

To sum it up, try a few other systems in addition to IE and you still need to have IE on your computer.

Been using Google Chrome the last couple of months -- very pleased with its performance except that for printing you have to do it via Google cloud (which means your printed data goes out on the Internet and then comes back to you -- not a particularly brilliant idea IMHO). Get round this by printing from Firefox.

Have now downloaded latest reincarnation of Firefox (version 5) and although it has a nice interface and is easy and pleasant to use I've found that it is perceptibly slower (using same websites) than Chrome. I presume this is due to Chrome's ability to prefetch webpages.

So, Chrome for browsing and Firefox for printing until Firefox catches up.

Hmmm I find the new FF faster than chrome on the sites I visit... odd. Google still more compatible with the script add-ons I use though. Can't get FF to run them properly.
I gave up on IE a long time ago. Always playing catch up and never quite cutting the mustard.

On a related note, Opera mini for android is Teh Browser.

FireFox 5 is out. But I don't know what is new in it. It looks the same.

Many thanks

Good to see you switched from Internet Explorer. IE is going the way of Netscape Navigator, or as we called it back then on it's way out, "Nutscrape Navigator". It's just falling behind and is probably one of the first back-doors into your computer. You know there is a problem when you can walk into a university and do URL hacks from Internet Explorer.

I agree about Firefox going somewhat backwards. I use Firefox and Opera interchangeably. Haven't used Google Chrome.

All of the modern browsers are secure today. Believe it or not, but Firefox is now a little less secure (if you do not have noscript) than the default IE.