Best Brokers for Long term Buy and Hold

spreader_legger

Hi Folks

I've got an interactive Brokers account for my share dealings. A mate of mine only has £1000 to invest however, just wondering if there is a good broker out there with low commissions who can facilitate long term buy and hold investors?

Naturally I can go online and google this stuff myself, just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice on this matter or generally good experience with the service they received from their existing facilitators.

Cheers

Hi Folks

I've got an interactive Brokers account for my share dealings. A mate of mine only has £1000 to invest however, just wondering if there is a good broker out there with low commissions who can facilitate long term buy and hold investors?

Naturally I can go online and google this stuff myself, just wondered if anyone had any tips or advice on this matter or generally good experience with the service they received from their existing facilitators.

Cheers

iWeb is quite cheap for isa/sipp etc - £5 a trade. I'd suggest having a bit more money to start with though.

Hi Folks

Cheers

given that its just a grand, and your friend would need to make more than 10% just to break even could you consider a spread betting provider on a futures contract if its say the next 3 quarters?
Failing that, there are brokers (SB) that allow you to hold the equivalent value without any margin (you can set the margin yourself) therefore not incur any commission or overnight costs, for as long as he likes.
£1 per point is the equivalent of 100 shares, so just do the maths and decide what the stake size is..
gekko markets allow this. I'm pretty sure there are others. iweb however is the cheapest around if you really wanted to go down the shares route, but I really wouldn't for just one grand
hope you find one though

Last edited by a moderator:
I trade with IWeb with a small amount of capital. That said if your capital is only 1k, you would only really be able to have one position open unless you rack up excessive fees, paying £25 opening the account, £5 opening a position, £5 SDRT, £5 closing the position.

If you want actual ownership I would consider index funds for a little while using a very cheap supermarket like Charles Stanley Direct. Otherwise spread betting is going to be far cheaper.

With regards to Robinhood, how do they make their money? Interesting idea.

For a start you should define an amount of risk you can take and amount of profit you expect. if you want to play safe consider PAMM accounts, with low stable percent. (I prefer conservative traders to spot my money on). Use FPA and scam folders where you can get clear picture and read real experience of traders who took losses. Try to read real person feedback and find a broker with proportion at last 9:1 positive/negative feedback.

If you want to hear my personal opinion, I would recommend horforex PAMMs beta consult fund manager. It is where I bank my money in to get the grow.