Became a trader

REDA

trader wanabe

Hi everyone,

Having finished my Bsc in financial management, and being highly intersted in trading derivatives and complex products, I tought of applying to an Msc in ISMA Center in international securities, investment and banking.
But because the quentitative side of derivative I also applied to Heriot-Watt university for their Msc in Financial mathematics.

The problem actually is that both made me an offer and I'm not sure about what is the best way to join trading floors from its biggest door:ISMA Center with its relation, or HW and a Math PhD.

Could you plz help me I have to send decisions nearly
cheers

Last edited:
There is plenty of excellent advice about the best way to join a financial institution. Just use the search tool.

:rolleyes:

Hi Reda,

ISMA has to be the best option if you want to join an IB. It has the reputation and contacts that will serve you well in terms of career choice and I am pretty sure that ISMA will have regular 'milk round' visits from the big employers. Its also in the London area which is a massive benefit, to be honest I doubt whether Herriot Watt has much of a reputation amongst employers especially city based employers in London. Having said Herriot Watt is a very attractive uni, set in a beautiful campus and is in Edinburgh which I would argue is the most attractive and vibrant city in the UK. Edinburgh also is home to anumber of big fund management companies who I am sure would recognise the academic standards of Herriot Watt. So really it depends upon what you want, ISMA for the career option but Herriot Watt for quality of living, its a nice position to be in.

sak07 said:
Hi Reda,

ISMA has to be the best option if you want to join an IB. It has the reputation and contacts that will serve you well in terms of career choice and I am pretty sure that ISMA will have regular 'milk round' visits from the big employers. Its also in the London area which is a massive benefit, to be honest I doubt whether Herriot Watt has much of a reputation amongst employers especially city based employers in London. Having said Herriot Watt is a very attractive uni, set in a beautiful campus and is in Edinburgh which I would argue is the most attractive and vibrant city in the UK. Edinburgh also is home to anumber of big fund management companies who I am sure would recognise the academic standards of Herriot Watt. So really it depends upon what you want, ISMA for the career option but Herriot Watt for quality of living, its a nice position to be in.

WARWICK, WARWICK, WARWICK!!!!!!!

Why not get a job and stop farting around in academia? 2 years work followed by MBA from good school will do you more good than MSc. IMO I would think work experience rather tha more courses.
Maths related Phd may do you some good for quant jobs but do not think there is much to be split between BSc and MSc when it comes to the employers point of view.

"..MBA from good school ..."

That exactly what I did - and it has to be an MBA from Cranfield - which you can do within 1 year !!

twalker said:
Why not get a job and stop farting around in academia? 2 years work followed by MBA from good school will do you more good than MSc. IMO I would think work experience rather tha more courses.
Maths related Phd may do you some good for quant jobs but do not think there is much to be split between BSc and MSc when it comes to the employers point of view.

What a load of rubbish........Can an BSc apply for a quant role??? No!!!! Can an MSc??? Yes.......

There is a huge difference depending on what uni you went to for ur FM MSC......

Bluewave said:
There is plenty of excellent advice about the best way to join a financial institution. Just use the search tool.

:rolleyes:

Yes but the thing is to get the best position in a financial institution not just to get in to it as there are psitions from cokk to chairman.
so how to get as high as possible with this combination of facts

PAINTACE said:
Why do you want to work hard in order to become an employee? :confused:

Maybe you're right
but the fact is that I can't afford constituting a bank so I would be my own boss

yeah you're absolutely right