Base and Exotic metals thread

metals_trader

Well i thought this could be a thread for base metals aswell as non exchange traded exotic metals.

Feel free to post anything from questions, views to calls.

Personally myself i trade mostly Copper but i also dabble in exotic non exchange metals suchs as Molybdenum, Strontium, Titanium etc

Come on guys lets really get this thread going

so what views do you have on the copper curve out to dec13? looks to me that someone has been caught long of forwards and is getting it handed to them.

i.e the 3m-dec 13 expiry carry got hosed in $200+ this afternoon

Can any of the base metals remain in a backwardated curve with the banking problems and the extra cost of financing warrants that this causes? how can anyone sit on warrants when overnight money costs so much? imho metal that has been sitting somewhere collecting dust and backwardation will soon find its way intop lme warehouse and then you can say goodbye to copper until $5'000 a tonne.

all these curves are going into contango carries for a while until the wortld sorts itself out. My bet would be to lend (sell) spreads even at these levels. any thoughts?

so what views do you have on the copper curve out to dec13? looks to me that someone has been caught long of forwards and is getting it handed to them.

i.e the 3m-dec 13 expiry carry got hosed in $200+ this afternoon

Can any of the base metals remain in a backwardated curve with the banking problems and the extra cost of financing warrants that this causes? how can anyone sit on warrants when overnight money costs so much? imho metal that has been sitting somewhere collecting dust and backwardation will soon find its way intop lme warehouse and then you can say goodbye to copper until $5'000 a tonne.

all these curves are going into contango carries for a while until the wortld sorts itself out. My bet would be to lend (sell) spreads even at these levels. any thoughts?

Personally for me i have quite a few long term trades on in the base metals where i have bought them. take for example copper, the Chinese economy its still continuing to expand despite a slowdown in the United States.
The only reason copper isnt really taking off right now is supplies remain constrained and there's deffinately a demand for copper to pick up once the Chinese stocks, which have been built in the past, are taken away.

Another market i am long on aswell is aluminium which has only been affected lately by a shortage of electricity and a lack of supply of energy intensive aluminuim, and then look what happened, china came out with a report saying the top 20 aluminium producers will cut production 5-10 percent from July to push up prices and reduce power consumption and aluminium spiked off that and remained.

Hi,
I have just started working in a brokerage firm and am trying to get my head around LME Carries. Although the main problem is noone here can seem to explain the reasoning of them to me and how they work. Can anyone here help?

I wonder if anybody is interested in Rare Earth Metals?it should be the hottest market of 2011-2012 regarding the supplty squeeze that China is providing