Baffled by Technology - Help!

timsk

Legendary member
Dear Friends,
Hopefully, all you IT experts out there can solve two problems that have me completely flummoxed. Two problems that logic dictates ought to be easy to solve - for those in the know. Both problems relate to displaying photos, primarily on a tablet . . .

Problem #1
I have a bunch of pictures that are on my laptop that I want to view on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A). I can upload them to Google Photos, Sony Play Memories Online and any other app okay - which then enables me to view them on the tablet. However, the resolution is pants compared to the laptop. I think this might be something to do with the app compressing the files - rather than a fault with the tablet. Either way, I want to view the images on my tablet with the same high definition that I can on my laptop. Is this possible and, if so, how do I do it?

Problem #2
Whatever app I use, I can organise and group the photos in various ways. However, what I don't appear to be able to do is to rearrange the images within a group in my own bespoke order. So, by way of example, let's say I have a folder with six photos of my family that are displayed in the following order:
#1 Whole family
#2 Younger sister
#3 Mum
#4 Older brother
#5 Grandparents
#6 Dad

I want the ability to rearrange the order so they are displayed in a more logical sequence:
#1 Younger sister
#2 Older brother
#3 Mum
#4 Dad
#5 Grandparents
#6 Whole family

Is this possible and, if so, how do I do it? I don't have any preferences for what app I use, just so long as I can view the images in the order that I dictate and at a high definition / resolution - all on my Galaxy Tab A.

Hope all that makes sense and thanks in advance for your help folks!
Tim.

How about moving photos to sd card or pen drive Tim, you would probably need adapter cable from USB to micro USB. No idea on the second part of the project though. Or could you connect the tab to computer via charging cable ? It might recognise it as external storage.

Dear Friends,
Hopefully, all you IT experts out there can solve two problems that have me completely flummoxed. Two problems that logic dictates ought to be easy to solve - for those in the know. Both problems relate to displaying photos, primarily on a tablet . . .

Problem #1
I have a bunch of pictures that are on my laptop that I want to view on my tablet (Samsung Galaxy Tab A). I can upload them to Google Photos, Sony Play Memories Online and any other app okay - which then enables me to view them on the tablet. However, the resolution is pants compared to the laptop. I think this might be something to do with the app compressing the files - rather than a fault with the tablet. Either way, I want to view the images on my tablet with the same high definition that I can on my laptop. Is this possible and, if so, how do I do it?

Problem #2
Whatever app I use, I can organise and group the photos in various ways. However, what I don't appear to be able to do is to rearrange the images within a group in my own bespoke order. So, by way of example, let's say I have a folder with six photos of my family that are displayed in the following order:
#1 Whole family
#2 Younger sister
#3 Mum
#4 Older brother
#5 Grandparents
#6 Dad

I want the ability to rearrange the order so they are displayed in a more logical sequence:
#1 Younger sister
#2 Older brother
#3 Mum
#4 Dad
#5 Grandparents
#6 Whole family

Is this possible and, if so, how do I do it? I don't have any preferences for what app I use, just so long as I can view the images in the order that I dictate and at a high definition / resolution - all on my Galaxy Tab A.

Hope all that makes sense and thanks in advance for your help folks!
Tim.

Hi, Tim,

One simple solution - I just click on the name of the image (let's say it's either PNG or JPG format). Then add a numerical prefix. For example: use "01" instead of "#1" to name that image:

01 Younger sister
02 Older brother
03 Mum
04 Dad
05 Grandparents
06 Whole family

This can be placed/organized within a Folder called something like:

Family - (date here)

I found that most Windows and Mac file systems can easily be managed using this numerical prefix name sequence.

Good luck - hope it can work for you.

WklyOptions

Thanks everyone!
How about moving photos to sd card or pen drive Tim, you would probably need adapter cable from USB to micro USB. No idea on the second part of the project though. Or could you connect the tab to computer via charging cable ? It might recognise it as external storage.
I'll inquire in my local IT shop - who are very helpful - about how to do this if an easier option isn't forthcoming.

One simple solution - I just click on the name of the image (let's say it's either PNG or JPG format). Then add a numerical prefix.
. .
I've not had any joy doing this in Google Photos or Sony Play Memories (the latter is my prefered program). However, what I can do in both of them is to change the date and/or time the photo was taken and then the images are organised sequentially. It's a slightly odd workaround - but it does work - so that's the second of my two problems solved!
(y)

Use dropbox, view on any device then, that's what I do with my charts
This is a good idea and, like Mike's suggestion, is something I'll consider if an easier option isn't forthcoming. The downside to it is that - as far as I can tell - there are no facilities within Dropbox to crop and colour correct images, so I'd have to use something else for that. Easily done for most competant people who are IT savvy but, for a technophobe like me, it's getting complicated! I want to make the everything is easy as possible.

Thanks again for the feedback folks - much appreciated.
Tim.

I use a NAS (network attached storage device). with it I can create and have, my own personal cloud. so all my photos, music and documents are filed on the NAS and whether I use my laptop, phone, tablet or any device I can access everything whether at home or work.
its like the USB suggestion, however with USBs you have to carry them with you, and are very prone to losing all your data. with a nas, everything is with me wherever I am and none of it has to be stored on a laptop!

as for photos, you could consider free apps such as plex (there are others) which allow you to edit your photos and categorise them. then you can just search or order based on categories/tags

hope it helps Tim and let me know if you need any information on the above