Automated Trading and PRT Programming Language?

Basura

Hi there,

Is anyone out there aware of software that facilitates automated (i.e. algo) trading but has a programming language similar to that used in ProRealTime (I think the language is called ProBuilder) or to VBA?

Also, I notice many people outsourcing the programming of their systems. Assuming one comes up with a profitable strategy, it would seem this approach is open to theft of intellectual property?

Thanks for any comments!

Since you don't have a profitable system, there's no worries about someone stealing what you haven't got. The programmer could equally say you might steal his code. That too is an intellectual property.

Thanks for that rather abrasive reply. It actually is a profitable system which is why I was enquiring.

I'm not sure how it would be possible to steal a programmer's code, as you'd either be paying them or they'd be offering it for public consumption? Anyway, off topic on my behalf.

Thanks for that rather abrasive reply. It actually is a profitable system which is why I was enquiring.

I'm not sure how it would be possible to steal a programmer's code, as you'd either be paying them or they'd be offering it for public consumption? Anyway, off topic on my behalf.

If you give it to a programmer, don't think he won't be using it. That goes without saying.

Going back to BJoe answer about stealing the programmers code. I am in agreement with you. It will be one situation or the other.

It is important to find the right programmer for your needs and they have to be informed that you own the code. You will be surprised how many think they own it simply because they programmed it for you, so getting that point across is important.

Good luck.

I can't think of any VBA based platforms off the top of my head.

However, i have seen a few broker API's with examples developed in excel, so that might be an approach worth looking into (not that I'd recommend a spreadsheet for this type of stuff)

I think FXCM has a few VBA examples for their API but you probably wouldn't want to trade serious capital with them, but it might help get the development started and to test out a few ideas.

The chances of you developing an automated strategy without some coding knowledge are practically non existing, so it might be worth approaching this from the other end, decide what you want to trade, where you want to trade, and then develop the technology to fit in with whatever your broker is providing.

It actually is a profitable system which is why I was enquiring.

That's good. I have came across too many who didn't but think they did.

I can provide free system building in exchange for profitable strategies. I will give free lifetime support and updates. However my requirement is that the profitability has to demonstrated via live trades before I will get involved. This is an open offer to anyone.

Keeping the strategies confidential isn't a problem. I am only interested in using them for myself, and no one else apart from the parties involved. I am a strong believer in getting money from the market ATM rather than another source. So I wouldn't be selling anything that works.

Last edited:
Check visualchart.com for vba based charting and programming. EOD is free. Incl datafeed.