ART - not just pretty pics

Go to a modern art gallery, enter one of the rooms and gaze round. Whether you like the stuff or not there will be a picture that shouts out at you and draws you inexorably to it - it’ll be a Picasso.

Salthouse - Norfolk

Here's a nice picture by Max Angus – her latest. It's not evident from the picture but that duck pond is one of the largest along the north Norfolk coast – it didn't use to be until the storms of several years ago, when overnight it all got flooded and just stayed large. The ducks love it and they now appear to have come from miles around to sample its delights!

Salthouse.PNG.jpg

Here's a nice picture by Max Angus – her latest. It's not evident from the picture but that duck pond is one of the largest along the north Norfolk coast – it didn't use to be until the storms of several years ago, when overnight it all got flooded and just stayed large. The ducks love it and they now appear to have come from miles around to sample its delights!

View attachment 249824

I particularly like the zebra skin pond liner. Nice touch :p

Never noticed that before – amazing what you can see in a picture. I bet you haven't noticed the two aliens wandering in the fields! ;)

Thanks very much for the nudge from over on the Brexit diatribe thread. It's good to get away from the madding crowd.

BTW: aliens??

View attachment 249824

Captures the atmosphere of N Norfolk in winter just off the coast. Excellent. Do you know what location/area picture captures?

"DailyArt" on smartphones offers an image a day to broaden minds. Visual detail isn't great, but some of the art and even some of the accompanying legends are worth a look.

I hadn't heard of Mel Ramos's Gee Gee series till yesterday when I read about it in a newspaper article.
Is it "art"?
It's certainly got a charm and an attraction. It's like a song which gets into your brain and lingers.

Attachments

• Mel Ramos GEE GEE 1996.PNG
    Mel Ramos GEE GEE 1996.PNG
    393.7 KB · Views: 112
Gilles Aguilera

This chap does today what the Dutch school were doing a couple of hundred years ago....a good bowl of fruit:)

Levity aside, I had occasion to attend one of his exhibitions and the light and warmth that some of stuff gives out I found to be most affecting - this leaving aside any symbolism of the subject.

...and he does more than fruit and veg:

http://lavelatura.com/project/gilles-aguilera-peintre-sculpteur/

Attachments

• En_Otra_Vida - Gilles Aguilera.jpg
    En_Otra_Vida - Gilles Aguilera.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 149
This chap does today what the Dutch school were doing a couple of hundred years ago....a good bowl of fruit:)

Levity aside, I had occasion to attend one of his exhibitions and the light and warmth that some of stuff gives out I found to be most affecting - this leaving aside any symbolism of the subject.

...and he does more than fruit and veg:

http://lavelatura.com/project/gilles-aguilera-peintre-sculpteur/

That picture is just like a photo it is so realistic. But it probably took weeks to paint while a photo takes one click.
To compete with the camera art needs something more................

That picture is just like a photo it is so realistic. But it probably took weeks to paint while a photo takes one click.
To compete with the camera art needs something more................

Agreed, and I have to say that any photo of this doesn't really do it justice as is the case with most art. I can assure you that these are much more than attempts to imitate photography.

The painting in the flesh is really something. I grew up in a house with lots of old paintings on the wall which hadn't been cleaned for at least a century and to see some of these gloomy pieces as they were when fresh is a great privilege.

Agreed, and I have to say that any photo of this doesn't really do it justice as is the case with most art. I can assure you that these are much more than attempts to imitate photography.

The painting in the flesh is really something. I grew up in a house with lots of old paintings on the wall which hadn't been cleaned for at least a century and to see some of these gloomy pieces as they were when fresh is a great privilege.

- That is one of the most amazing things: to see an old painting before and after cleaning and restoration. The skill of the people who do it is amazing also.

You can see something similar with wall hung tapestries - the colours have usually faded and the item just doesn't do justice to itself. Occasionally you see one that's been rolled up in a lumber room or otherwise stored without exposure to the light - you then get more of an idea of how magnificent they originally were (and still are in many cases - even those where owners have cut them up to fit their wall despite their original eye-watering cost!).

The most stunning example of this sort of thing that I've seen was at Sulgrave Manor (Oxfordshire - important American Connections). Talented craftspeople had re-created Tudor needlework decorations (bedcovers and that sort of thing - not just tiny things) to the exact same specs. and colours - unbelievably beautiful, rich and vibrant colour, and a total transformation compared to existing originals which have lost their colours and are now just a pale & faded object. Well worth a visit for that alone.

The great thing about ART appreciation is that everyone is equally entitled to their own opinion.
The money men are as clueless as the rest.........

Attachments

• daisy.htm
    527.4 KB · Views: 140