Are all trading investments done against one another?

There is nothing wrong with compassion, but you are not responsible for other traders losses, they are.

To feel guilty about somebody elses losses is as inappropriate as blaming somebody else for your own, it is an denial of personal responsibility.

This is why risk control is so important.

On a technical note isn't there a distinction between a quote driven market and an order driven market?

I nominate this thread for the most surreal ever. Truly, reading it is like sliding into a parallel universe.

And all without ODT. Who would have thunk it.

Good point, it's almost doubly surreal. Last time I had this sensation was about 2 hours after I had consumed some mushrooms in Tokyo a few years back (they are actually sold legally in shops there, which is surreal in itself).

The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation. It's bull****. You got ninety percent of the American public out there with little or no net worth. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal. The news, war, peace, famine, upheaval, the price per paper clip. We pick that rabbit out of the hat while everybody sits out there wondering how the hell we did it. Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy? It's the free market. And you're a part of it. - Gordan Gekko (Michael Douglas in Wall Street, 1987)

I saw a trailer for Wall St 2 at the cinema last night. There is one scene where Gekko picks up his possessions as he leaves jail, including a brick sized 80s mobile phone. For some reason it reminded me of the scene in Austin Powers where Austin collects his Swedish pen1s pump enlarger ("that's not mine!!")