API's

juanbyte

Does anyone know of an API for IB that calculates technical indicators from the IB data.

e.g. Williams, RSI, MA's etc

It depends what you are trying to do.

If you are trying to autotrade then why not calculate the ones you want yourself? You will have to take the tick data and convert it in the required timescale in real-time.

If you just want charts then Sierra Chart is ideal to interface to IB.

JonnyT

FC Already had a look but thanks, many are just for order entry.

JT already have Sierracharts, bought at a discount through T2W.

Yes want to automate trades, just being lazy.
Just thought if it was already done it would save some time and effort.

Even using the same calculations, there are differences in charts from different companies.

Will be making an API which I will be switched on and left to trade.

Should be fun

Juan,

I also autotrade with IB (using the C++ API). I code whatever indicators I want to use. I'm not sure how easy it would be to transfer indicator values from other sources, and would you trust them anyway?

Frankly the work involved in coding most indicator is trivial in comparison to the coding you need to do to ensure your system trades when and how you want.

What I also do is code the indicators I use as custom DLLs for Sierra too (if they are not inbuilt), that way I can use Sierra for manually checking back data and for forward testing to ensure that my system is trading where I expect it to.

Thanks Peter

I will stick to data from IB as this is where I will be trading.

Scanner

Is anyone using the API to implement a scanner over a lot of securities or do you just watch a couple you intend to trade each day? How much info can the API provide (i assume anything over 100 heavily traded shares would be overload)?

Andrew.

a0-0b,

IB only allows you to scan 40 stocks in total so there is no chance of overloading.

I know of one person who was using a well known data provider with their own third party software to scan an entire market. Unfortunately they got banned because their software was putting to much strain on the data providers server.

Paul

I don't know what I'm talking about so excuse me!Could a group of friends get together to network their computers,each scan a market segment and each be able to view the scanning results in entirety?Without the data provider sussing?(and their money being safe from each other).

Yes, if each computer ran a scanner that read data on 40 stocks from IB, processed it in someway and then expirted the results to the rest of the network then there is no way that the data provider could know. However, I'm not sure there's much advantage, you would still need an IB account per PC!

Trader333 said:
IB only allows you to scan 40 stocks in total so there is no chance of overloading.

So do you guys use EOD data to select 40 stocks for the next days trading and scan those? Sounds like a plan. do IB provide the EOD data also?

You'd think the provider would use broadcast technology to reduce the load. Since they're probably serving every price to someone somewhere, the load wouldn't be any greater.

Andrew.

a0-0b,

No we just use a different provider to scan for stocks. esignal has a scanning facility that will let you know if stocks have met your search criteria. The ones that get thrown up can then be traded using IB.

Paul