Anyone tempted to short VOW at 1,000?

"Hedge funds were already facing up to October being the worst month for returns in over a decade, but now many face possible extinction over losses sustained in shorting Volkswagen stock.

The Daily Telegraph puts the combined hedge fund losses on the super short on Volkswagen at a staggering $37bn, and quotes Laurie Pinto, a broker at North Square Capital, who said: 'This is without question the biggest loss on a single stock in the history of hedge funds. It's a bloodbath'."

Hedge Fund 'Bloodbath' As Firms Lose $37bn On One Trading Play :: Business News :: Here Is The City News :: The Latest Business & Financial Markets News And Views

Tried to get short yesterday at 1000 but missed it.

Even £1 a point could have made you £50,000 by this morning with only a £400 drawdown :)

Would a beauraucrate clamp down on me if I hired a new trader based purely on the criteria of them being gay? Let's try a new turtle experiment and see what happens!

They would, so instead you have to advertise for traders who like dressing up in leather.

Tried to get short yesterday at 1000 but missed it.

Even £1 a point could have made you £50,000 by this morning with only a £400 drawdown :)

This may sound stupid in fact it probably is but since I only spreadbet if you place 1 pound a point and short from 100 wont it have to move 50000 points to make 50000, is that even possible in a day?

also is the vow short for something never heard of it. cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
This may sound stupid in fact it probably is but since I only spreadbet if you place 1 pound a point and short from 100 wont it have to move 50000 points to make 50000, is that even possible in a day?

Firstly it went to 1000 not 100 and then it moved down to below 500.

Each move of 1 euro is actually 100 points so that means a 500 euro move is worth 50,000 ticks.

It happened yesterday.

So sell £20 a tick and you have £1m the next day.

Nice return if you can get it.

I tried to sell at 5 at 1000 but wasn't fast enough to hit it.

Almost got it.

Firstly it went to 1000 not 100 and then it moved down to below 500.

Each move of 1 euro is actually 100 points so that means a 500 euro move is worth 50,000 ticks.

It happened yesterday.

So sell £20 a tick and you have £1m the next day.

Nice return if you can get it.

I tried to sell at 5 at 1000 but wasn't fast enough to hit it.

Almost got it.

That r/r would have been crazy. By the way which pairing with the euro = the vow, just ive been into trading for a bout 3-6 month and haven't heard of it. Thanks for your response anyway.

Anyone go long just before the close yesterday? I was tempted to but I woul dhave to pay 1000 spread!!

That r/r would have been crazy. By the way which pairing with the euro = the vow, just ive been into trading for a bout 3-6 month and haven't heard of it. Thanks for your response anyway.

:cheesy:

VOW = Volkswagen.

:cheesy:

VOW = Volkswagen.

Lol found that out after a few googles, I kept thinking too myself I've never heard of the vow currency pair.

Anyway placing a position on the VOW, how it has been lately seems like it just would be a pure gamble.