Anyone spreadbetting daily FTSE?

Counter Violent and other moderators.

Wow, what a quick response - in fact almost instant. (with regards to private message spam as well)

I would like to thank you and all the others that are involved in keeping this great forum as it is and should be. Where new and old traders can come to learn and maybe if so wish look at products to buy that have been reviewed or have opinions attached. However once in a while someone like imagnus pops up and atttempts to sucker in people by claiming he's helping them when in fact he's only helping himself to there hard earned cash. Like a transformer - Vendor in disguise.

Thank you.

I agree with you on this on Hoggums.........

Mods pls look into this poster - I suspect he is a vendor in disguise!

And to people looking at this thread struggling with their trading - don't be drawn in to such "too-good-to-be-true" claims.

I trade FTSE using spreadbetting. I developed my own strategy. I don't talk about winning and loosing but about wheather a trade is a "hit" or a "miss". Also I never look at the price but trade off of the indicators. That all reduces stress and emotions. My strategy gives me 70%-80% hits. I don't have any regular problems with spreadbet companies. I only trade 08.00 to 12.00. My thoughts are that all the major news announcements are out of the way by 08.00 and after 12.00 I have had enough and shocks from the US pre open announcements make strategies less reliable.

It took me about four years to eventually arrive at my current strategy. I couldn't back test but paper traded for six months - yes six months! So the first thing that strikes me is that you dont know if the sytem you are using actually works as a paper trade. If it wont paper trade reliably it will never work with the additional stress of money trading. One month paper trading proves nothing. You have to know if you system works when the market is high VIX and low VIX so you need to prove it on paper during quiet consolidations and fast rising/falling retracements. There is no need to waste money on loosing strategies. There is no way of moving foreward imo until you know the truth about the strategy.

I trade FTSE using spreadbetting. I developed my own strategy. I don't talk about winning and loosing but about wheather a trade is a "hit" or a "miss". Also I never look at the price but trade off of the indicators. That all reduces stress and emotions. My strategy gives me 70%-80% hits. I don't have any regular problems with spreadbet companies. I only trade 08.00 to 12.00. My thoughts are that all the major news announcements are out of the way by 08.00 and after 12.00 I have had enough and shocks from the US pre open announcements make strategies less reliable.

It took me about four years to eventually arrive at my current strategy. I couldn't back test but paper traded for six months - yes six months! So the first thing that strikes me is that you dont know if the sytem you are using actually works as a paper trade. If it wont paper trade reliably it will never work with the additional stress of money trading. One month paper trading proves nothing. You have to know if you system works when the market is high VIX and low VIX so you need to prove it on paper during quiet consolidations and fast rising/falling retracements. There is no need to waste money on loosing strategies. There is no way of moving foreward imo until you know the truth about the strategy.

eesh - only trade off indicators, never look at price - 70%-80% winners. Sounds like a classic win small, lose big system.

I would strongly advise anyone against developing such a strategy. To get a consistent 70-80% win ratio using a mathematical indicator you seriously have to be compromising your pips won.

Hoggums, I don't feel that I am compromising my winnings. I devoped strategy after studying and using Woodies CCI system ( Relocate). Don't want to give away complete strategy but I use 4 period +4 leading and -4 lagging SMA's with 5 SMA as a mean to give me signal when to keep out of low volatility consolidating markets and when to trade my indicators. Mostly wins are 7-10 pips but I do catch occasioal larger trends by cheating and looking at the price chart before closing out. Max loss I have ever had is 7 pips (a fail safe stop for every trade) but usually 4-5. I have only been trading it since last Sept so I don't know how it will perform in low volatility markets. It could be that win size will be reduced with along with loss size - I don't know, but I am comfortable for now and have increase size of stake each month. I could possibley improve by trading multi positions but don't want to over complicate for now and it could only be done by watching price chart and indicators..... more emotions etc. I have been paper trading it on US$/Euro with simmilar results to date. One important conclusion I have also reached in bringing all this together is that looking back at charts is a complete waste of time. You get completely different results from actually trading a developing chart. Thats why I am not convinced by back testing but prefer months of paper trading.

Hello Henry,

Apologies for sticking my nose into this thread I read you post with interest and would like to offer my thoughts.

Mostly wins are 7-10 pips but I do catch occasioal larger trends by cheating and looking at the price chart before closing out.

Having the discipline to walk-forward your strategy for 6months is definately commendable but did this include the discretionary element which you are implementing on an ad-hoc basis (ie making decisions by looking at the chart intraday)? If not, this could have an effect to your strategy long-term.

One important conclusion I have also reached in bringing all this together is that looking back at charts is a complete waste of time. You get completely different results from actually trading a developing chart. Thats why I am not convinced by back testing but prefer months of paper trading.

Couldn't the reason for different results obtained be a case of the market dynamics changing? Personally I think backtesting is very important as it allows one to see whether a particular strategy has any merits. In addition, during this phase any optimisation should be performed so as to arrive at a strategy which offers the best results.

It is only during the walk-forward phase that the strategy is tested-out to see how it performs on "out-sample" data. No optimisation should take place during this phase.

As a result, one needs BOTH "Backtesting" & "Walk_forward Testing" to properly develop a strategy.

All IMO,

Kind Regards,

Chorlton

It easy to make money on spread betting. you have to be patinet on your bet and be discipline and plan your target. My target every day is 25pounds and i sometime make it first 30 minutes the amrket opens. Firts i look up at bloombery in the morning get some vital points on business news.i will tell you my secret when next i log in

It easy to make money on spread betting. you have to be patinet on your bet and be discipline and plan your target. My target every day is 25pounds and i sometime make it first 30 minutes the amrket opens. Firts i look up at bloombery in the morning get some vital points on business news.i will tell you my secret when next i log in

We're all stocked up on secrets here mate, keep it to yourself.

It's also no secret that you run high risk/low reward account. £300 and £1 per point on an index that cost £150 margin. Your risk/reward is nothing to be proud of and your high trade risk is dangerous. You also boast 33% plus per week. Great, I've seen so many like you before, come back after 6 months with half a million quid and I'll listen to your secret.

Like I said, I think your secret is something that new traders could do without knowing.

BTW, do you want a free pen?

Pardon me, if I disagree with you on the easiness of spreadbetting. It's hard work and I often wonder why the hell I'm doing it.

In any case, I'll not hold my breath until you tell me your secret---I've, probably, heard it before.

Split

This is perhaps the funniest thing I have read on these forums.

I am a developer ( formerly into IT ). Having seen all the posts here, I am sending invites for a partial open source trading system that would be created ( by its participants ) given to the purpose of:-
1) back-testing ALL theory and practical based trading methodologies
2) given flexibility to its users ( individuals ) who may have a certain habits of trading ( according to Human Nature )
3) full-automation with the option of instant-click intervention ( should there be any serious problem with the trend ) AND
4) full portability with any data feed source ( be it in ASCII or other brokerages' data form )

Please do send myself a private e-mail if there is any interest as discussions can be carried out.

S K

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi there

Be one with GOD, so that HE may appoint a deliver for your Soul! -HariHaraBramKalki ( S K )

Hey pal,

Do wanna leave it out. You've posted this same message at least 10 times in different places out of the last 15 odd posts you have done.

You are SPAMMING.

I have reported your private message as well which reads...funnily enough...the same.

Useless message you sent me:

I am a developer ( formerly into IT ). Having seen all the posts here, I am sending invites for a partial open source trading system that would be created ( by its participants ) given to the purpose of:-
1) back-testing ALL theory and practical based trading methodologies
2) given flexibility to its users ( individuals ) who may have a certain habits of trading ( according to Human Nature )
3) full-automation with the option of instant-click intervention ( should there be any serious problem with the trend ) AND
4) full portability with any data feed source ( be it in ASCII or other brokerages' data form )

Please do send myself a private e-mail if there is any interest as discussions can be carried out.

S K

Post once or create a thread then everyone can see it if they wish to view it, instead of you popping up in various conversations with the same irrelavant post which as it happens has no relevance in this thread either.

I'd suggest reading Malcome Pryors book on spread betting- The Financial Spread Betting Handbook. Im confident this would answer many of your questions- good introduction to intermediate level book on spread betting, and v risk/money management orientated.

Hi, like-minded chap!

Used to do the same - but found it too pricy and therefore unsustainable ...........

However, Bloomberg's services remain one of the better ones on the market.

I am not collecting my data from other sources, as I am embarking on this project to beget a 90-95 trustable system ( fully integrated with most or ALL of the data feeds, especially from brokerages and other financial institutions, including Bloomberg ) which will cause a full delegation to the System ( AI )

Anyone interested are encouraged to let myself know. Required prerequisites, software knowledge and experience and also as many languages like C/C++, COBOL, BASICS, FORTRAN, T-PASCAL, Java and V C++/ Basics ............. etc!

So, do give me a reply and a contact.

HariHaraBramKalki(S K)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi there

Be one with GOD, so that HE may appoint a deliver for your Soul-HariHaraBramKalki(S K)

360.yahoo.com/cu20052003

I prefer to use Bloomberg.

Yes, that sounds interesting. I don't really understand the market at all but I have inherited £450,000 recently and want to invest it as I think it is an easy way to make money if you find a good system on the internet. I am looking for a system that can generate 95% win rate. Let me know once you have built yours.

Yes, that sounds interesting. I don't really understand the market at all but I have inherited £450,000 recently and want to invest it as I think it is an easy way to make money if you find a good system on the internet. I am looking for a system that can generate 95% win rate. Let me know once you have built yours.

Me too.

I have a system that is 94% but that is rubbish as we all know.
Also, the free bikini pens I was going to give away with the system for free may have to be put on hold until I can reach over 95%. I am one of two directors, the other is Sir Ejit Spanish. He handles the trades, I handle the free pens.

I have tried for years to come up with a winning combination of "rules" to ensure I always come out on top on a monthly basis, gone to bed smiling thinking that I may have finally cracked it...only to find some trading sessions later that it doesnt work!
Now, I trade end of day, long, only adding deals when the FTSE closes up.
Just cant seem to find any better way.