Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Hedging is not a bad thing if understood correctly and learned perfectly “where, when and how to “ apply.

This is a complicated process when many scenarios need to be considered and target or goal needs to be calculated beforehand.
People in the industry have been using for years now and many companies do not even trade without hedging in place. Hedging is very common practice in financial industry.

This is where the tricky bit comes in the picture "When to use hedging" and what is the goal? The goal is always on case by case basis and each time can be completely different.

Having said that, hedging in day trading doesn't makes much sense as objective in day trading is to realize profit or loss same day.

Moreover, in day trading market moves so fast that, probably you would not have time to make hedging strategy for your trade.

Hedging is perfectly suited for swing or long terms trades and it is wise to hedge your trade (with an objective) in such cases.

Hi Jess - good to see you coining it lately :)

I'd be surprised if anyone hedges using the same instrument. Certainly I often hedge my equities with a pro rata ftse, specially overnight or when market generally turns against me.

Cheers

Jon

Hi Jess - good to see you coining it lately :)

I'd be surprised if anyone hedges using the same instrument. Certainly I often hedge my equities with a pro rata ftse, specially overnight or when market generally turns against me.

Cheers

Jon

Hey Barjon, I agree some time you end up in a situation when market went against you in intraday trading but also direction is bit un-clear and the opposite move is not 100% confirmed.

Having said that, to use hedging correctly you need some experience... like you have been doing for so long.

I suggest, any one interested in hedging should must practice different scenarios before it can be used in live trades.

@Nakotrade

Many times last year I was certain of market direction, but as is often the way it went against me. I would then "average down" hoping that it would all come good in the end, it mostly didn't and I ended up running out of capital with a depressing margin call alert.

...what was the worst of all, once I had closed the trade(s), the market went in my favour about 5 minutes later and I would have ultimately cleaned up and then some! grrrr

Basically there is a proven tendency for (especially male) traders to not to want to cut/realise their losses (and admit they have made a mistake), thus we tend to let losers run - like you have in the instance of these DOW shorts.

This is where hedging may help you... if you do it right.

My novice explanation of hedging (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is basically protecting a position from further loss, in your case having two trades one running in either direction at the same time - i.e. +£n/point on the DOW and -£n/point on the DOW.

i.e.

You place a trade +£n/point and it goes wrong and your latent gain is now -£100, not good!

Your options are to either a) kill the trade (which as we know is hard to do) or b) you could hedge against it hoping that in X minutes time it'll come back the other way or c) wait and end up with a margin call.

So basically at the very moment where you ultimately think about *cutting the trade*, at that very point instead of killing the position just place a hedging -£n/point trade (it will cost you the spread alone), so at the worst you're not going to lose any more moular.

If the market starts moving back in favour of your first position, then who cares - you were going to cut the position anyway so it just cost you a little extra spread.

If the market keeps on moving the opposite direction to your trade, then you put a stop loss on your hedge at breakeven, now as soon as the market starts to correct and come back the other way it'll stop your hedge out and from here onwards hopefully your losses from your original position will start being reduced and just maybe you'll be lucky and come out with a profit. This is one (very roundabout) way of maybe reducing losing trades, and thus keeping your sanity/ego intact.

Practice the above on a demo account and/or speak to Markets.com and check that their platform allows hedging trades in the first instance.

...sometimes creating a hedging position can be said to be getting rid of one problem, and then giving yourself another, so it's a tricky call when to cut a position and when to hedge.

My 2 pence!

@f2calv

Hey guys - so correct me if I'm wrong - I thought about this hedging approach and tested it on my demo account a moment ago. So if the trade happens to go against you fast when selling and you couldn't decide about stopping loss at that moment and went to open also position of opposite direction immediately to stay calm and look at the chart objectively until for example the US-market closes. What I have seen based on my little experience is that during the asian and europe market the price drops at least little bit most of the time and during these markets the price hardly brakes strong trendlines - when talking about Dow. If then closing the buy-position on profit and then keeping eye on short position to see if the price drops back down at least 20-30%. It would've maybe saved me if I did that having my short positions at 17360 when I let them be open?.. Did I get this right a bit about hedging? hmm

Course there's a difference, 2 lots of spreads.....close the damn thing and move on.

Actually it's one spread, the first spread has been and gone as part of your losing position. If you are 40 (or 500+ points down in Nakotrades case) what difference does 1 more pip make?

Sometimes it takes one time to figure out what the real immediate trend direction is, and if your hedge starts racking up the blue points then it's a pretty good indicator imo.

Each to their own.

Actually it's one spread, the first spread has been and gone as part of your losing position. If you are 40 (or 500+ points down in Nakotrades case) what difference does 1 more pip make?

Sometimes it takes one time to figure out what the real immediate trend direction is, and if your hedge starts racking up the blue points then it's a pretty good indicator imo.

Each to their own.

You do it your way then if you think 2 spreads is a good idea, having capital tied up is good and the inability to let go is good plus the fact you may end up with 2 crappy positions neither doing much......what about stops or is that just forgotten........:eek:

You see my shorts here - long way to go... I still don't know what would be the best thing to do

My 2 pence worth

You have no emas on the chart ... see my chart ... the 8 over the 21 then the 21 over the 62 would have told you it was not going well, plus if you had a trend line (mine in green) you would have got out about even. The red line is your short entry.

Attachments

• chart56.PNG
    chart56.PNG
    59 KB · Views: 97
Early in the morning, the stock markets traded without major fluctuations. After Greece submitted a proposal to extend the loan received, the Eurogroup will meet to discuss the proposal. Initially the meet was to be done by video conference, but will now be held a meeting in Brussels, which may favor an understanding. The news that the various statements made clear yesterday, the Greek proposal merited the opening of some countries and the European Commission itself but also skepticism in Germany and other countries like Finland and Austria. Although the deadline given by the Euro-group formally end today, it can not be excluded, in case of not reaching an agreement, extended talks along the weekend. In this context, the publication of the preliminary reading of the PMI indexes (purchasing managers index) has less importance than usual. It was anticipated a slight improvement on previous months due to already be reflected in the European economy the effects of the devaluation of the Euro, the fuel price fall and monetary environment even more beneficial, however the PMI values ​​came out lower than expected.

My 2 pence worth

You have no emas on the chart ... see my chart ... the 8 over the 21 then the 21 over the 62 would have told you it was not going well, plus if you had a trend line (mine in green) you would have got out about even. The red line is your short entry.

Yes - based on last two weeks what I have learned, I would have different approach to my trading now. I haven't paid much attention to indicators as much as should. I started to try them out lately within learning trendlines. Now I also have better understanding when been following this thread and learning from you guys.

At the moment I'm trying out Williams% and RSI both together. What do you think about them?

I couldn't find Ema on my Mt4, does it have another name? is this a good description http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/ema.asp It's suggesting that it would be good to use Ema together with Sma? those numbers are unfamiliar at the moment for me ^^

and thanks for the Demark-link, I'll read it through.