Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

DJ, which indicator are you looking at for confirmation of a turn ?

usual stuff really.. stoch turn/ macd ... but more importantly i will look for a break of a significant price level.. which could be 30-40 prices away.... but am looking for 100-200 pts ..so risk reward is ok.. currently dax 60 min is in a nice trading channel... an is currently at the top of this channel... so would look for a turn and break through the mean of the channel and tie that in with a signficant price break... I can at least expect it to then go to the bottom of the channel..and if it breaks through that .. then lower..

here is my 60min trading channel - dax futures

Attachments

• dax 60 min trading channel.GIF
    dax 60 min trading channel.GIF
    87.9 KB · Views: 137
usual stuff really.. stoch turn/ macd ... but more importantly i will look for a break of a significant price level.. which could be 30-40 prices away.... but am looking for 100-200 pts ..so risk reward is ok.. currently dax 60 min is in a nice trading channel... an is currently at the top of this channel... so would look for a turn and break through the mean of the channel and tie that in with a signficant price break... I can at least expect it to then go to the bottom of the channel..and if it breaks through that .. then lower..

Thanks DJ.

I am currently short the CAC since late yesterday , a little bit underwater for the moment. May add more on the CAC and short some DAX when I see such a turn.
However the markets seem to be in a short term advancing channel this morning, despite the weak economic data out of EU.

Thanks DJ.

I am currently short the CAC since late yesterday , a little bit underwater for the moment. May add more on the CAC and short some DAX when I see such a turn.
However the markets seem to be in a short term advancing channel this morning, despite the weak economic data out of EU.

Its not like you have a bad level then is it Zorbas... might have to sweat a little bit..but I know some guys who have been shorting dax since 7200.... and are still averaging... will work out in the end am sure if they dont get a margin call... we have all done it at some point of course... but not pleasant...

I have always made more money shorting a price break than just thinking I know where the top is and going in from there.

But as I say... its not like you have a bad price by the sounds of it..

I personally dont like to average... but I know many who do and do well from it... I prefer to add to the position when i have momentum on my side..

Good luck mate...

Its not like you have a bad level then is it Zorbas... might have to sweat a little bit..but I know some guys who have been shorting dax since 7200.... and are still averaging... will work out in the end am sure if they dont get a margin call... we have all done it at some point of course... but not pleasant...

I have always made more money shorting a price break than just thinking I know where the top is and going in from there.

But as I say... its not like you have a bad price by the sounds of it..

I personally dont like to average... but I know many who do and do well from it... I prefer to add to the position when i have momentum on my side..

Good luck mate...

DJ, you are absolutely right. The trend is your friend.

For the moment I didn't average up. It is only a small position, no way to get any calls. Possibly I 'll play it with a hedge on the Dow or the Dax.

I always thought being long volatility meant being effectively short stocks.

I read some of the article its pretty hard to understand. if you want profit from falling volatility would u not be short volatility?

my "assuming" may be wrong

Hi All. Long time no post. Just looking in on the markets as the building sites are quiet today. For some reason the FTSE is being supported while the ES and Dax have turned already. Same happened yesterday, FTSE was well bid all afternoon while the ES and Dax reversed. Someone is clearly protecting a position. May all change come monday. If I was a patient position trader, I would be fading these highs, but its too much of a slow slog for a wee scalper like me.

Good to see the thread still alive and well. Well done to SD and others for keeping it going.

Hi All. Long time no post. Just looking in on the markets as the building sites are quiet today. For some reason the FTSE is being supported while the ES and Dax have turned already. Same happened yesterday, FTSE was well bid all afternoon while the ES and Dax reversed. Someone is clearly protecting a position. May all change come monday. If I was a patient position trader, I would be fading these highs, but its too much of a slow slog for a wee scalper like me.

Good to see the thread still alive and well. Well done to SD and others for keeping it going.

thanks, MartinC-J

looks like markets want to end the year on strong note. december/jan reasonably strong months.

Yeah, I always expect a December rally, but there is an unusual disconnect between the FTSE and the ES at the moment. Am not sure why. You can see it in the volume spike for the FTSE at 13:29 today. The ES and DAX were both making lows, and the FTSE refused to follow. You can see the volume increase on the 1 min chart at 13:29 for about 5 mins. It stopped any move down, and as expected the price continued back up again. It should correct itself at some time. Not sure when.

Yeah, I always expect a December rally, but there is an unusual disconnect between the FTSE and the ES at the moment. Am not sure why. You can see it in the volume spike for the FTSE at 13:29 today. The ES and DAX were both making lows, and the FTSE refused to follow. You can see the volume increase on the 1 min chart at 13:29 for about 5 mins. It stopped any move down, and as expected the price continued back up again. It should correct itself at some time. Not sure when.

check out the FTSE's biggest stock HSBC, with the greeks getting "fixed" the UK banks have been raying nicely.

think es around 13:29 was reacting to us data. and not enough juice to push ftse lower

low VIX is the biggest worry, but it may be low because everyone thinks we are entering the 3 strong months of the year and sniffing end to fiscal cliff

30 yr vol

http://www.seasonalcharts.com/volatilitaet_aktienindices_sp.html