any university researched based course on technical analysis ?

i did n't say all is psychology of trading. dr. van tharp (psychologist) modeled the elements of success in trading .he mentions: 10 % system , 10 % position sizing
80 % psychology .ed seykota gave one of his systems to a group of people . none of them could make money with that while he made money with that exact system.why ? cuz there is no holy grail & when it's time of loss, our mind cant accept bad parts of trade.

Presumably the Ed Seykota system was a system with an edge.

i did n't say all is psychology of trading. dr. van tharp (psychologist) modeled the elements of success in trading .he mentions: 10 % system , 10 % position sizing
80 % psychology .ed seykota gave one of his systems to a group of people . none of them could make money with that while he made money with that exact system.why ? cuz there is no holy grail & when it's time of loss, our mind cant accept bad parts of trade.

I'm partially in agreement. There's quite a few trading educators (Van Tharp included) who've simulated positive expectancy systems with groups of traders, and seen appalling results, due entirely to position sizing and psychology.

I personally think Tharp exploits this situation. Whilst its undoubtably true that most novice traders could not trade a positive expectancy method, Tharp significantly underestimates the difficulties involved in developing an edge.

I'm partially in agreement. There's quite a few trading educators (Van Tharp included) who've simulated positive expectancy systems with groups of traders, and seen appalling results, due entirely to position sizing and psychology.

I personally think Tharp exploits this situation. Whilst its undoubtably true that most novice traders could not trade a positive expectancy method, Tharp significantly underestimates the difficulties involved in developing an edge.
you are so right, he underestimates how many years or how many hours & how much pain ! does some one need to develope an edge.thats the reason he is not a trader & he is an author .

Isn't there a UK university that offers a master's degree in trading. I'm sure you get to write a thesis at the end of it. Expensive at £16,000 though

Isn't there a UK university that offers a master's degree in trading. I'm sure you get to write a thesis at the end of it. Expensive at £16,000 though
yes, cass business school offer ms in mathematical trading & finance.it includes 9 course + research paper.really thanks

yes, cass business school offer ms in mathematical trading & finance.it includes 9 course + research paper.really thanks

This is mostly mathematical, and with some numerical techniques for pricing and some statistics, i.e. it is very similar to most of the masters in mathematical finance that you can do. If you decide to do something like that, you really want to do it at the best university you can, and Cass is probably not that.

This is mostly mathematical, and with some numerical techniques for pricing and some statistics, i.e. it is very similar to most of the masters in mathematical finance that you can do. If you decide to do something like that, you really want to do it at the best university you can, and Cass is probably not that.

yes,most of UK universities are not ranked well among global ranking compared to usa universities ,while they are expensive & they dont offer scholarships and funds , and even after that possibility of getting a residency is limited.uk universities get admission usually very easily .but they offer more flexible programs like research based degrees and phd / masters duration is shorter .they look at student like a source of income more than a researcher while usa counterparts have different approach .

cablemonster , it's 5 years that i am involved in trading,while it took me 5 years of pain & research to find my way to consistency in results.i dont want to learn from someone ,i just wanna continue my researches beside trading.
you could continue your research without going through Uni, right?
You have more freedom outside school

If you are part of a uni, it provides credibility and access normally not available to an individual besides the resource base available from within the uni. Obviously getting a doctorate does help to secure teaching opportunities should trading not work out.

as an iranian , the only way to get out of country is education.we can not go anywhere while we are under sanctions . it took me one year and 40 k dollars to have a residency in another country and have a banking account + trading account.
you dont know how much difficulty we have as an iranian traders ! we can not receive money , our account is blocked regulary & internet sucks...

If you are part of a uni, it provides credibility and access normally not available to an individual besides the resource base available from within the uni. Obviously getting a doctorate does help to secure teaching opportunities should trading not work out.

yes , but i am more interested in T.A researching rather than financial classic contents . university can not teach anything in this case

good point, but still there are more freedom and possibilities outside school.

Also, I do not think traders can learn a lot about technical analysis in school, unlike when they put in substantial time studying charts themselves. school is more about theory than practice.

as an iranian , the only way to get out of country is education.we can not go anywhere while we are under sanctions . it took me one year and 40 k dollars to have a residency in another country and have a banking account + trading account.
you dont know how much difficulty we have as an iranian traders ! we can not receive money , our account is blocked regulary & internet sucks...
i am very sorry to hear that. sanctions are really stupid.

you have a special case. I guess you just have to persevere and do well despite the odds and obstacles in your path.

I really wish you well in the future

My opinion is that if you seriously wanted to get out of your country, and do a research degree in TA topics, then you may want to seek out a finance professor who also has a CMT or MSTA designation, and propose a research thesis, and do a research degree which could lead you to a PhD.
Based on my own knowledge, most finance professors are not believers in TA, but if my memory serve me right, both authors of the book "Technical Analysis - The Complete Resource For Financial Market Technicans", Charles D. Kirkpatrick & Julie R. Dahlquist are CMT charter holders, and university professors as well. If you can propose a research topic that sufficiently interest them for them to agree to supervise you, and you fulfil their university entrance requirements for research students, you could have a deal!
If you have access to a local university network, you may want to do a search within any finance research database, and see if any academic paper author do a similar research topic to what you wanted, and write to them, see if they agree to take you under their wings.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion, and hope it helps, and all the best to your trading and TA academic pursuit!

Many thanks for these suggestions, i have emailed a lot of professors in different countries ,only one of them accepted me & we are making my system automated,i hope the result of this automation in an academic paper can help me by admission.
my experience says that finance professors don't take care even about a trading track record.professors in computational finance usually pay more attentions...so CS & math departments are better rather than finance departments
My opinion is that if you seriously wanted to get out of your country, and do a research degree in TA topics, then you may want to seek out a finance professor who also has a CMT or MSTA designation, and propose a research thesis, and do a research degree which could lead you to a PhD.
Based on my own knowledge, most finance professors are not believers in TA, but if my memory serve me right, both authors of the book "Technical Analysis - The Complete Resource For Financial Market Technicans", Charles D. Kirkpatrick & Julie R. Dahlquist are CMT charter holders, and university professors as well. If you can propose a research topic that sufficiently interest them for them to agree to supervise you, and you fulfil their university entrance requirements for research students, you could have a deal!
If you have access to a local university network, you may want to do a search within any finance research database, and see if any academic paper author do a similar research topic to what you wanted, and write to them, see if they agree to take you under their wings.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion, and hope it helps, and all the best to your trading and TA academic pursuit!

Here's some quick stuff I found:

http://www.kingston.ac.uk/news/arti...pare-for-city-life-in-bloomberg-trading-room/

you might find some people here with answers:

http://uk.universitytradingchallenge.com/

some more courses:

http://www.qub.ac.uk/schools/Queens...Programmes/MScComputationalFinanceandTrading/

http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/societies/directory/cusecuritiestradingc/

http://www.herts.ac.uk/courses/proprietary-trading

The above seem to be cooperating with futex who what I've heard on here also have some truly world class traders:

http://www.futex.co.uk/futex-academy/testimonials/

And finally:

https://www.essex.ac.uk/coursefinder/course_details.aspx?course=MSC+N35012

That said I know nothing more about those courses than what I found now doing a quick google, so you'll really have to duediligence yourself.

That said everybody can go study say law or business or programming, but to succeed beyond where most others end up you'll need drive, commitment, belief in outcomes, tenacity in the face of inevitable adversity, and plainly just a 100% burning desire to succeed.

That's the difference between say a Michael Schumacher and others with equal talent - and to make it to formula 1 you are playing on a pretty level field with your competitors - who just never achieved his incredibly consistent results. If you've got the basics down the difference between somewhat losing, so-so or outperformance is exclusively between your ears.

Last edited:
+ 1

"Dealbook

New York Times

Where Homework Is Managing a $200,000 Stock Portfolio

Bloomberg financial terminals hummed, stock prices raced across an electronic ticker, and CNBC blared in the background.

The trading floor had all the trappings of those at Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan Chase or Morgan Stanley. But this one was some 30 miles away from Wall Street on the campus of Adelphi University, in Garden City, N.Y.

In the trading room, named after James Riley Jr., a retired Goldman Sachs partner, Adelphi’s business school students apply textbook teachings in a more practical setting. They analyze the latest stock quotes, compare currency exchange rates and scour company fundamentals, just as any Wall Street financier might. One class even makes buy and sell decisions for a $200,000 investment portfolio.

Students “learn to speak the language of Wall Street,” said Mr. Riley, who donated $100,000 to establish the trading operation at Adelphi, his mother’s alma mater. “When you’re in an environment like this, the first thing you learn is whether this turns you on or not.”

Adelphi is one of the latest universities to bring the trading floor to the classroom, relying on guidance and financing from wealthy bankers and their Wall Street firms. Only three business schools had such operations in 1997, according to Rise Display, which installs tickers, video screens and trading software for universities and financial institutions. Now, more than 200 institutions around the country — from Ivy League universities to small liberal art colleges — have them. Six new centers are set to open over the holiday season.

“It’s not really a question of whether to create a center,” said Ryan Cahoy, managing director of Rise Display. “It’s a question of how big to make it.”

The trading floors serve a dual purpose: to give students real-world experience and the universities something to brag about to potential donors and prospective faculty.

“These days it’s a bling factor at many schools,” said Richard D. Holowczak, who runs the trading floor at Baruch College in New York, which started its trading room in 2000. “It looks sexy, and it’s a great way to have a donor’s name literally in lights.”

Bentley University’s trading operation, among the first of its kind in 1997, was originally tucked away in a small classroom. Now, the university has a 3,000-square-foot trading floor equipped with 57 computer workstations, 5 Bloomberg terminals and 4 ticker screens displaying real-time market data.

At the Stephen M. Ross School of Business at the University of Michigan, roughly 1,000 students come through the glass-encased trading room each week. Baruch’s Bert W. and Sandra Wasserman Trading Floor — named after a former chief financial officer of Time Warner and his wife — features 50 Reuters and Bloomberg-equipped computer stations. Some two dozen Wall Street traders temporarily took over the space after they were displaced by the 9/11 terrorist attacks.

An educational trading floor with all the bells and whistle carries a high price tag. A small trading operation with just a few computers and flat-screen TVs runs about $100,000.

Baruch’s center and the Wellde Capital Markets Room at George Washington University in Washington cost about $1 million each. Bentley’s renovated center cost $5 million.

Big trading firms and their top executives often foot the bill. Goldman Sachs donated $300,000 to help Indiana University build a trading room and other facilities in 2001. Merrill Lynch gave Baruch about $100,000. Energy firms with trading operations, including Dynegy, El Paso and Conoco Phillips, have also cut checks for trading centers.

George Washington’s trading floor is named after its donor alumnus, George W. Wellde Jr., a 28-year Goldman Sachs executive who retired in 2008 and now serves on the board of the Fortress Investment Group.

“I’ve always believed in giving something back,” said Mr. Wellde, who worked full time at the Federal Reserve while he pursued his master’s degree in business administration at night.

It’s not just Monopoly money that students risk. Several universities have created endowments for classes and investment clubs to manage.

At George Washington, M.B.A. students in the applied portfolio management class started with a $1 million portfolio in 2005. At the beginning of the semester, each class member identifies a stock to buy and one to sell. They then make their case to the class, professors and university trustees.

Since inception, the fund has outperformed the Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index by three percentage points a year.

At Bentley, students started with a pot of $250,000 in 1997. The portfolio is up more than 116 percent over the past 13 years, more than double the returns of the S.&P. 500.

The practical skills can be an advantage in the job hunt, too.

“It’s almost like a student having a second language,” said Thomas di Galoma, a George Washington alumnus and a senior managing director at Guggenheim Securities. In his 18 months at Guggenheim, a New-York based financial firm, Mr. di Galoma has hired two students from George Washington.

Robert Berns logged more than a hundred hours on the trading floor in his senior year at George Washington — an experience he promoted in his interviews at Wells Fargo Securities. He joined Wells as an investment banker in Charlotte, N.C., shortly after graduating last May.

“There’s a wow factor to it,” Mr. Berns said. “It gave someone like me instant credibility.”

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2010/12/29/where-homework-is-managing-a-200000-stock-portfolio/

I wish! The best I got was a financial economics class where we played the stock market game, but never actually looked into trading stocks. For the most part it's still seen as too risky and gambling in my opinion for most unis to offer a course on