any university researched based course on technical analysis ?

Commodity_Trader

Do u know any university with a masters /phd or " research degree" on technical analysis ? (across usa/ canada/ australia / uk....etc)

i have searched many finance departments , but there is only these topics :financial mathematics and computational finance & financial engineering which all dont have nothing to do with technical analysis .rather they work on numerical methods and theories based on portfolio management & efficient market hypothesis which is to some extend in contrast with T.A.

Last edited:
You may find some universities offering electives on TA but not as a major.

In Australia, there is a Diploma in TA offered by the Australian Technical Analyst Association (ATAA) which comprises of two exams taken over one year. The syllabus covers practically all the major TA subjects from Gann to EW, Candles to PF, trade psychology to money management, etc. I took that 12 years ago when I started trading full time.

tnx for replies, T.A society is not an academic center , while i think ,most of future traders use T.A .i meant a RESEARCH degree on T.A & not a course for learning T.A .do u know any ?
regards

tnx for replies, T.A society is not an academic center , while i think ,most of future traders use T.A .i meant a RESEARCH degree on T.A & not a course for learning T.A .do u know any ?
regards

Try University of Chicago directly or Tim Morge. Tim Morge is well connected with that uni and does testing and research using some high level computers from that uni. From memory it was some serious research - leading edge stuff.

To answer the question, no I don't know of any graduate level courses on TA specifically

However, I would have thought any quantitative research degree would have been equally beneficial, particularly if it includes a requirement for statistical analysis / probability etc.

Might be worth contacting someone like Tony Plummer at STA, he seams to have a foot in both camps, IIRC he's visiting professor at a couple of universities, and also dabbles in TA voodoo

Last edited:
Try University of Chicago directly or Tim Morge. Tim Morge is well connected with that uni and does testing and research using some high level computers from that uni. From memory it was some serious research - leading edge stuff.
i searched UOC ,there is no research or center regarding TA,there is only one center for research in security prices that there is no content about T.A in it;s website.do u have any link to that ?
regards

To answer the question, no I don't know of any graduate level courses on TA specifically

However, I would have thought any quantitative research degree would have been equally beneficial, particularly if it includes a requirement for statistical analysis / probability etc.

Might be worth contacting someone like Tony Plummer at STA, he seams to have a foot in both camps, IIRC he's visiting professor at a couple of universities, and also dabbles in TA voodoo

there is a big gap between TA and quantitative methods .the quantitative degrees such as computational finance or financial engineering mostly are based on efficient market hypothesis & portfolio management ,etc...
nicholas nasim talib once said : even the best financial engineering progam has no value .

thanks. i will contact him,
regards

i searched UOC ,there is no research or center regarding TA,there is only one center for research in security prices that there is no content about T.A in it;s website.do u have any link to that ?
regards

I do not know whether your interest is an academic degree, masters or doctorate. You will not find any uni that offers TA as a major - period because it is not a subject popular or big enough to justify as a major. I suspect the usual route is a finance degree with a thesis on TA provided you can find a professor that is willing to supervise. Tim Morge has mentioned before that Chicago offers TA as a subject, not as a degree. At the masters or doctorate level, in the right right stream you can probably engage in any research project provided you can find the appropriate professorial supervision.

You can write to Tim Morge for further assistance as he is generally very helpful [email protected]

You're not going to find many universities covering a large portion of what falls under the wide umbrella of 'technical analysis' as a large portion of it is complete bunk. Its like asking which medical schools offer modules in healing crystals and homeopathy. Reputable Universities aren't going to offer science courses in a subject with lots of areas based mostly on assumptions/belief. Having said that you could probably find parallels with some of the non-voodo side of TA and statistics.

You're right that most financial engineering/mathematical finance courses deal with the derivatives pricing side of things where prices are assumed to be efficient.
What you're really asking is where to look at courses/research that deals with time series/forecasting - and you can find that in statistics, signal processing, machine learning and econometrics etc...

you wont find any uni courses on TA. as with all methods of trading only a very small % of people are long term profitable, anecdotal evidence that I have seen suggests it is on around 1% to 2% of traders in this bracket. You will then find another larger subset of the remaining 98% who turn rogue on the trading method and declare it is all lies because they feel 'wronged'.

Of course this behaviour can be explained by simple human psychology which funnily enough also drives markets up and down.

In North America, I know you can become a Chartered Market Technician (CMT) associated to the Market Technicians Association (MTA). I'm seeing TA (undergrad) courses pop up here and there in local universities as well. I can't speak for their usefulness, though. You'll learn TA, that's for sure, but I doubt you'll learn how to become profitable.

I do not know whether your interest is an academic degree, masters or doctorate. You will not find any uni that offers TA as a major - period because it is not a subject popular or big enough to justify as a major. I suspect the usual route is a finance degree with a thesis on TA provided you can find a professor that is willing to supervise. Tim Morge has mentioned before that Chicago offers TA as a subject, not as a degree. At the masters or doctorate level, in the right right stream you can probably engage in any research project provided you can find the appropriate professorial supervision.

You can write to Tim Morge for further assistance as he is generally very helpful [email protected]
many thanks, i will contact him,i am looking for either phd/ masters by research in this field although there may be a route to find a full research masters / phd with least courses taken , in that case i can work on it.ususally this kind of masters is offred in countries with english system of education like:uk,australia...

You're not going to find many universities covering a large portion of what falls under the wide umbrella of 'technical analysis' as a large portion of it is complete bunk. Its like asking which medical schools offer modules in healing crystals and homeopathy. Reputable Universities aren't going to offer science courses in a subject with lots of areas based mostly on assumptions/belief. Having said that you could probably find parallels with some of the non-voodo side of TA and statistics.

You're right that most financial engineering/mathematical finance courses deal with the derivatives pricing side of things where prices are assumed to be efficient.
What you're really asking is where to look at courses/research that deals with time series/forecasting - and you can find that in statistics, signal processing, machine learning and econometrics etc...
you are right , thats why most of financial engineering progams student come from a quant degree & i doubt they can make money by themselves!.although i have not seen any "research" degree on that in usa univesities.all of them is course based.

you wont find any uni courses on TA. as with all methods of trading only a very small % of people are long term profitable, anecdotal evidence that I have seen suggests it is on around 1% to 2% of traders in this bracket. You will then find another larger subset of the remaining 98% who turn rogue on the trading method and declare it is all lies because they feel 'wronged'.

Of course this behaviour can be explained by simple human psychology which funnily enough also drives markets up and down.
cablemonster , it's 5 years that i am involved in trading,while it took me 5 years of pain & research to find my way to consistency in results.i dont want to learn from someone ,i just wanna continue my researches beside trading.

In North America, I know you can become a Chartered Market Technician (CMT) associated to the Market Technicians Association (MTA). I'm seeing TA (undergrad) courses pop up here and there in local universities as well. I can't speak for their usefulness, though. You'll learn TA, that's for sure, but I doubt you'll learn how to become profitable.

thats exactly what i said to my students. i was university tutor for T.A courses of investment management degree . i told them after completion of this course maybe only 1 out of 20 student will find this tools work.being profitable is much more associated with psychology of trading rather than a tool or system.

thats exactly what i said to my students. i was university tutor for T.A courses of investment management degree . i told them after completion of this course maybe only 1 out of 20 student will find this tools work.being profitable is much more associated with psychology of trading rather than a tool or system.

I really do have to disagree. All the psychology in the world isn't going to help in the absence of an edge

I really do have to disagree. All the psychology in the world isn't going to help in the absence of an edge
i did n't say all is psychology of trading. dr. van tharp (psychologist) modeled the elements of success in trading .he mentions: 10 % system , 10 % position sizing
80 % psychology .ed seykota gave one of his systems to a group of people . none of them could make money with that while he made money with that exact system.why ? cuz there is no holy grail & when it's time of loss, our mind cant accept bad parts of trade.