anthony robbins

chump,

You seem to hit on what I was saying. I'm a very bad communicator but my maths makes up for it. . (but alas I'm a bad logician)

The hard point is when you talk about a "winning" system. Me and my friend's horse racing system is what could be classified as such, but if you were to try and force it to give you more the system fails - because that's just one of the constraints on its parameters. We could, for example, make about £18K from it for the year. That just won't happen because of the bad days, each of which will cost you 2 days worth again. And sometimes you might get 3 bad days in the week - imagine how that would feel! The only thing making you do it is because at the bad of your mind you know it works! And you need to be incredibly calm and collected when you do it, and I suppose that is where the psychology comes in. The bottom line is still at the back of our heads that we know it works and are willing to accept its idiosyncratic behaviour from time to time.

Consider what if the system was a 'winning' system, which was in fact losing only because the player could not execute the system ,because they were psychologically unsuited to that trading style? Now, if someone can train you to master the psychological deficit what then happens to the performance of that system?

Please give me an example of this, because if I know I have a FINITE FIXED amount of money to lose, and that my other money WILL NOT be touched by the method then I'm willing to give any method a try as long as its not wishy-washy in specification of instructions and does not involve one's own interpretation of data so the maker can blame you for your "wishy-washy" thinking. And any psychological barrier will be easily overcomed if I know I'm only going to lose a FIXED amount overall if the method fails. If I can't execute the method I don't participate in it period.

TheBramble,

if TR likes to make money he could have only charged £40 per person for his shows and they'll turn up by the thousands and he'll still make money. Some saying that he charges over £4K for a seminar only tells me the size of his ego.

I suppose it is an exchange of goods, and at the end of the day one asks oneself: "did I really get what I paid for". With the material from VS you can tell simply because we CAN prove that his methods does not work, and what invalidates it more is that it is freely available here without so much as a footnote mention. With someone like TR we don't have that brutal luxury and people will "interpret" and "make what they will" of his materials.
Anyone can set themselves as a life coach and talk a load of positive attitude nonsense. All because someone charges a lot of money for doing it does not necessarily imply that what they're doing is correct. Throughout human history massive groups of people have be influences in doing things that, with hindsight, they rather NOT have done. Such is the human condition.

fastnet,

professional sports coaches only coach those that have made the grade, those they believe that have what it takes to succeed. Mr Robbins deals with the lowest common denominator, and from this he gets widespread appeal to increase market penetration. If you have a coach to pursue a pleasure that is another matter because it means doing well in a competition might not be an influencing factor.

In contrast when you want to train for a profession you are given study books and have to sit and pass exams in order for you to be selected. A tutor helps only if you have it in you in the first place. He will simply point you on the right track to avoid a much longer road to your goal. But you also have the catch 22 question of whether you have it in you and won't know unless you try.

His goal (and pls correct me if wrong) is to push people to think about their lives and goals and ask themselves what is stopping them achieving the success they believe themselves to be capable of

Most of Mr Robbins material about motivation, self questioning, and all that can be written by anyone. It's a no brainer petty piece of doped up writing that just narrowly misses the mark. Or maybe he was the first person to do this and start off the whole self help industry that is a major embarassment to Western Society to this day. But hey, that's just my opinion and I'll stop here

Hi everyone,
My first post on this excellent board and hopefully lots more. If you want answers to improving your life Tony Robbins provides them. There is no need to spend 4K or thousands, just read his first two books. If you really apply some of his principles and ContinuE doing so, it is impossible for you not to permanently change for the better.
Some of his teachings are a bit questionable as to their efficacy, so use what works and discard the rest. Most people apply the wrong stuff or do the right ones for a few days and then forget about it.
Like anything else it needs constant application to create results.

TT - thanks for taking the effort to compose such a comprehensive reply. I can see that you feel very strongly about this but am not sure why. Have you felt ''ripped off'' in the past?

I can empathise. Moons ago I was a chartered engineer working for a consulting firm. I held the same, pretty inflexible, opinions about things that depended on some sort of appreciation by the recipient to appreciate their whole value. If a concept could not be objectively evaluated by different people and the same result reached (thermodynamics, chemical reactor sizing etc etc) then I dismissed it.

The effectiveness of coaching, motivational speakers and gurus is totally subjective. What is clear is that it works for thousands of people including eminent people in all vocational areas. Bill Clinton consulted Anthony Robbins advice in many occasions. Does Bill Clinton strike you as an example of the ''lowest common denominator''? - if so you are in trouble.

fastnet,

no, I haven't been ripped off in the past. If you want me to be personal about it, all I'll say is that I've once listened to all these motivational speakers about changing your life, setting higher goals, questioning yourself, changing for the better, be a better person to other people, . . and hey we could make the world a better place! After a while I got really angry, and I slowly realised - as we all do when we grow up - that life is not like that.

I'm fully aware that some of Robbin's clients were ex-presidents and top atheletes. Andre Agassi is a fine example. He went to rock bottom of the rankings 2 years ago and picked himself up to get to the top. But I seriously believe that he could have done that WITHOUT Robbin's help. Agassi's past performance speaks for itself (he was world No 1 once for a bried period in the middle of Sampra's dominance), the man always had the ability in him to succeed. Agassi is now slowly going down the rankings now because even he can't fight the effects of aging and no amount of "motivational" advice from Robbins is going to save his career, he's just being totally outclassed by the likes of Roddick and Federer. I suppose, ahem, Tim Henman probably got some coaching from Robbins as well (which he won't admit to publicly of course), but where's the major title's Tim?

And all because you aim for the lowest common denominator doesn't mean you won't get a higher denominational person interested. And on the subject of presidents, and not meaning to start anything nasty here, most people in this country would not rate Mr Bush as a terribly intelligent man and maybe he should consult Mr Robbins as well for all the mess he's done. . .

Maybe not in Mr Bush's case - there really is no hope for some!

Cheers TT - enjoyed the discussion.

Best regards