Amazon AWS WorkSpace

ironjaw

While reading another thread here today, about a member complaining about IG and losing their position due to being locked out / computer issues, I thought I might share what I am doing. I am of course, new here so am still on the road to learning, and no expert but I am studying every day.

The repeated and common scenario: Spread betting / CFDs risk
It seems again people i.e. new traders are burned by leverage and CFDs. I refuse to deal in spread betting. Having a £1000 entry with a 1:10 leverage means opening a position of £10.000 - can go either way. Lose or win. It's scary. Please learn to risk manage and know what you are doing. Always place stops! Know how much you will lose if all goes bad. That way you're secured, say if your computer dies.

Solution 1: Avoid Spread betting / CFD, or
Solution 2: Separate your trading platform

Separate all your charts, signals, etc from your "everyday computer" that you use for browsing, email and chats, und so weiter. This not only reduces computer virus by browsing to wrong sections of the internet and webpages, but keeps you safe knowing that all that matters about money is segregated from the your personal setup.

A good way that I've found recently is Amazon Web Services (AWS) Workspaces. I've signed up and it's a free account to open and the workspaces are currently on offer for 12 months free due to COVID19, and after that charged at either hourly or monthly. You can try it for the year and see if it works in your trading setup or not. Here are the links:

Amazon Web Services (AWS) Workspaces

Workspace Pricing

TIP: Check the cost calculator for region pricing, some regions are cheaper, other expensive. I'm in the UK and have chose Oregan (West) as I save more compared to Europe (London). A faster Internet connection (broadband) is beneficial.

If you're going to be a trader, why not keep it professional or at least aspire to. The good thing is that Amazon Workspace includes a Windows 10 licence in the price and it takes 20 min to setup a remote computer. You are greeted with an Admin account and then can create a user account. Always create a user account as you don't want your admin privileges to be abused by something you download on the platform. It's quick and simple. The good thing is that you don't need to worry about computer upgrades, window update, etc. down the line, when the hardware gets slow. You pay a flat fee for the service and it takes care of itself. Another advantage is the you can login through other devices easily, so you can truly be mobile and on the go. Got that 1 hour 24 min flight to some tax haven island nation to setup and sign off those incorporation documents? No problem. Just pick up your iPad or laptop and remote login to your Amazon Workspace and check those charts!

Solution 3. Get a separate computer
But check the specs that you need for your applications, especially RAM and storage. It might be cheaper but in the long run you will be to update and buy new hardware.

Last edited:
While reading another thread here today, about a member complaining about IG and losing their position due to being locked out / computer issues, I thought I might share what I am doing. I am of course, new here so am still on the road to learning, and no expert but I am studying every day while I am working full time as a lawyer, so thought I might as well share my experience as I go along. I know that's exactly what I want to look for when I was starting out.

The repeated and common scenario: Spread betting / CFDs risk
It seems again people i.e. new traders are burned by leverage and CFDs. I refuse to deal in spread betting. Having a £1000 entry with a 1:10 leverage means opening a position of £10.000 - can go either way. Lose or win. It's scary. Please learn to risk manage and know what you are doing. Always place stops! Know how much you will lose if all goes bad. That way you're secured, say if your computer dies.

Solution 1: Avoid Spread betting / CFD, or
Solution 2: Separate your trading platform

Separate all your charts, signals, etc from your "everyday computer" that you use for browsing, email and chats, und so weiter. This not only reduces computer virus by browsing to wrong sections of the internet and webpages, but keeps you safe knowing that all that matters about money is segregated from the your personal setup.

A good way that I've found recently is Amazon Web Services (AWS) Workspaces. I've signed up and it's a free account to open and the workspaces are currently on offer for 12 months free due to COVID19, and after that charged at either hourly or monthly. You can try it for the year and see if it works in your trading setup or not. Here are the links:

Amazon Web Services (AWS) Workspaces

Workspace Pricing

TIP: Check the cost calculator for region pricing, some regions are cheaper, other expensive. I'm in the UK and have chose Oregan (West) as I save more compared to Europe (London). A faster Internet connection (broadband) is beneficial.

If you're going to be a trader, why not keep it professional or at least aspire to. The good thing is that Amazon Workspace includes a Windows 10 licence in the price and it takes 20 min to setup a remote computer. You are greeted with an Admin account and then can create a user account. Always create a user account as you don't want your admin privileges to be abused by something you download on the platform. It's quick and simple. The good thing is that you don't need to worry about computer upgrades, window update, etc. down the line, when the hardware gets slow. You pay a flat fee for the service and it takes care of itself. Another advantage is the you can login through other devices easily, so you can truly be mobile and on the go. Got that 1 hour 24 min flight to some tax haven island nation to setup and sign off those incorporation documents? No problem. Just pick up your iPad or laptop and remote login to your Amazon Workspace and check those charts!

Solution 3. Get a separate computer
But check the specs that you need for your applications, especially RAM and storage. It might be cheaper but in the long run you will be to update and buy new hardware.
I feel that your post in answer to your thread title is slightly off-topic;)

To me, a computer crash is to do with my machine not anything external. In my experience, the more common ones are due to OS and memory issues and if those two are sorted, then it becomes more easy to prepare for a near death experience. Besides having more than one machine (as I do) there is also the nature of the incident to consider.

I stopped using Windows some years ago and apart from a very few minor items (a couple of mt4 indicators) I find Linux to be stable and reliable in a way that W10 and the other iterations of that OS from hell, are not. I'm not a computer nerd, I'm not really interested what goes on inside the box but I insist that it does what I want....preferably without interminable updates, random over-usage, blue screens of death and other excitements. I have never experienced a crash in Linux after 7 or 8 years using it but Windows is an entirely different matter, which I have used since 1995 in many shapes and forms - to my mind the last truly great version was 3.11 (which still ran on DOS!!) and everything since has come with its own plethora of bollocks.

My machines are all dual boot Windows/ Linux already with adequate processors and memory (i5/i7 & 16GB) though currently I have both on one drive along with shared data storage. I'm in the middle of upgrading to separate SSDs for each OS and storage due to past issues with Windows effectively messing up Linux as well. I have also backed off from W10 to W7 pro - I don't want fancy but I do want stuff to work.

AWS: I'd like to hear from UK based traders with their experiences.

As for your comments about CFDs and SB: I can't begin to agree with any of them and believe that you have more research to do before you can proffer a "fair and reasonable" opinion:p

Last edited by a moderator:
As for your comments about CFDs and SB: I can't begin to agree with any of them and believe that you have more research to do before you can proffer a "fair and reasonable" opinion:p

Of, you're right. I was reacting on a thread from a user that had an unfortunate experience with IG, which is I presume, in similar circumstances more than likely caused by spread betting, especially if you are new to it all. In the right hands, SB is useful and a means to gain larger profits.

I agree the title should be changed. I'll pick something else. I was writing this in a hurry yesterday, wanting to share my excitement, but can see that I was a bit too cocky

I moved to an AWS cloud server a few months ago and it is the best thing I've done in this respect.(y) I started with a server in lightsail and then moved it to EC2. I am using the free tier t2 instance for my trading server and I also have a t2 medium server for my C# development work. I no longer have a noisy laptop running in my living room 24/5, worrying if I have lost connection or if my app has crashed when I am away. I can access it from work and leave it running in the background. I get more trading screen time now than ever before.:)

Edited to add: I am using the Windows server 2016 instance

I moved to an AWS cloud server a few months ago and it is the best thing I've done in this respect.(y) I started with a server in lightsail and then moved it to EC2. I am using the free tier t2 instance for my trading server and I also have a t2 medium server for my C# development work. I no longer have a noisy laptop running in my living room 24/5, worrying if I have lost connection or if my app has crashed when I am away. I can access it from work and leave it running in the background. I get more trading screen time now than ever before.:)

Edited to add: I am using the Windows server 2016 instance

Thanks. I like to hear what other members do with such installations. Are you trading FX?