Alpari?

4oD

Iplayer has a hidden app called eye2eye which allows your library of programs to be uploaded to other users without your knowledge. If you monitor your traffic you might see vast amounts of upload traffic. You need a network sniffer to trace it.

Very illegal and disgusting for a public sector body.

Hope this helps.

Charles

On Demand service from Channel 4 uses an app called kontiki for the same purpose. Don't see file sharing as a problem per say, if it speeds up the download then fine as the more that share the better the experience. But it does come as a surprise that it's operating in the background without our knowledge I have to admit. Being a selfish sod I switched it off as it loads on startup :cheesy:

Iplayer has a hidden app called eye2eye which allows your library of programs to be uploaded to other users without your knowledge. If you monitor your traffic you might see vast amounts of upload traffic. You need a network sniffer to trace it.

Very illegal and disgusting for a public sector body.

Hope this helps.

Charles

Had a chat with a friend that works there:

For future reference:

Check the log files: expert advisor seems to create alot of logs :(

After sometime the folders get very big and cause problems.

FOLDERS: <tester> <logs><experts\logs>

Cheerios

On Demand service from Channel 4 uses an app called kontiki for the same purpose. Don't see file sharing as a problem per say, if it speeds up the download then fine as the more that share the better the experience. But it does come as a surprise that it's operating in the background without our knowledge I have to admit. Being a selfish sod I switched it off as it loads on startup :cheesy:

Not a problem with plenty of bandwidth, but a real pain on vodafone!!

Charles

Alpari / Iplayer follow-up: (actually, I went and bought a new PC (with Vista -(I know, I know, frying pan, fire)), anyway....

Dear Paul

Thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer support team.

I understand you are experiencing problems whilst accessing BBC iPlayer.

Firstly, I would like to inform that eye2eye is not connected to BBC iPlayer,
however BBC iPlayer is supported by Peer to Peer technology.

Peer-to-peer (P2P) is a way of transferring files over the internet, using a large
number of computers linked together on a network. As more and more users join the
network, downloads can become even more efficient.

This is the opposite of traditional downloads, where adding more users can create
bottlenecks that make downloads slower for everybody.

So when you're downloading a programme from the BBC you're doing it using a safe and
efficient network made up of fellow BBC iPlayer users.

The way P2P works means that while you download a programme or are simply online,
you may also be uploading parts of a programme file to other BBC iPlayer members.
This can happen even if you're not using BBC iPlayer.

However, you can manage peer to peer file sharing options by following the link:

BBC - BBC iPlayer - Help - How do I manage or stop peer-to-peer file sharing?

With regards to the high usage of your CPU resources, a small number of users have
been experiencing similar problems with kservice.exe and this could be due to, but
not confirmed, a specific hardware and/or software configuration.

I can confirm that our development team, along with Kontiki, are investigating the
issue. This is deemed to be an unacceptable problem, for which we hope to have a
solution in place as soon as possible.

In the meantime, you may wish to assist us with resolving this issue by reading the
following thread taken from the BBC iPlayer Messageboard:

BBC - MESSAGE BOARDS - BBC iPlayer - 100% CPU use by Kontiki/Kservice - Conversation

I hope you found this information useful. If you have any further enquires please
do not hesitate to contact our team.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

Regards

Alpari T &C's

Was just going the motions of opening an account with Alpari UK - now that FXCM have finally transferred the funds back to my account - however I noticed the following clauses that you are meant to agree to and I'm not sure if this is standard practice or not, but the last clause in particular has me worried. In other words what they're saying is that client money is not ring-fenced. Is this standard practice with brokers?

"I consent to transfer or otherwise pass full title to, and ownership of, Non-segregated Funds (as defined in clause 6.2 of the Customer Agreement) to the Company for the purpose of securing or otherwise covering my present or future, actual or contingent or prospective obligations. I agree that I will no longer have a proprietary claim over this money until an equivalent transfer is made back to me if the provision of collateral by me is no longer necessary.

I consent that Non-segregated funds do not constitute and shall not at any time be deemed to constitute client money for purposes of the FSA Rules and agree that the Company can deal with this money in its own right and in the event of the Company’s insolvency I will rank as a general creditor of the Company."

Was just going the motions of opening an account with Alpari UK - now that FXCM have finally transferred the funds back to my account - however I noticed the following clauses that you are meant to agree to and I'm not sure if this is standard practice or not, but the last clause in particular has me worried. In other words what they're saying is that client money is not ring-fenced. Is this standard practice with brokers?

"I consent to transfer or otherwise pass full title to, and ownership of, Non-segregated Funds (as defined in clause 6.2 of the Customer Agreement) to the Company for the purpose of securing or otherwise covering my present or future, actual or contingent or prospective obligations. I agree that I will no longer have a proprietary claim over this money until an equivalent transfer is made back to me if the provision of collateral by me is no longer necessary.

I consent that Non-segregated funds do not constitute and shall not at any time be deemed to constitute client money for purposes of the FSA Rules and agree that the Company can deal with this money in its own right and in the event of the Company’s insolvency I will rank as a general creditor of the Company."

I got Alpari to respont to your above question:

Hope this helps

The first 5,000 USD is segregated into a specially created client account which is kept separate from Alpari (UK) company funds. These client funds will be fully segregated and WILL NOT be used to pay back creditors in the event of bankruptcy. We would like all clients to note that we would segregate 100% of client funds but due to the nature of the Forex market this is impossible because we must deposit funding with our prime broker to hedge client trades.

I have been researching Alpari UK and other Brokers as my new broker.

Re: "due to the nature of the Forex market this is impossible because we must deposit funding with our prime broker to hedge client trades."

Who exactly is their prime broker ??

Also, can anyone tell me who they deposit our trading funds with?

I have been researching Alpari UK and other Brokers as my new broker.

Re: "due to the nature of the Forex market this is impossible because we must deposit funding with our prime broker to hedge client trades."

Who exactly is their prime broker ??

Also, can anyone tell me who they deposit our trading funds with?

Prime broker is: Deutsche Bank
deposit trading funds: Barclays

hope the above help

So are you guys still using Alpari as I was about to open an account with them but read many negative reviews. I want to automate my trades so thought the MT4 platform with them will be ok unless you have other suggestions? (I pref dont want to open an account with a US company as it looks like they are about to change leverage to 10:1)
Are there any new problems with Alpari I should know about?

Prime broker is: Deutsche Bank
deposit trading funds: Barclays

hope the above help

Ah, yes. So, this particular broker uses as its Prime Broker, that same BANK that claimed to have a stand-alone FX platform running its own software, hardware, network and data feeds, only to be found out as NOT having its own stand-alone product offering on 22 January 2010, when FXCM's Server and/or Network failed for almost a full day of trading - which means that the PM for Alpari is a lying BANK. Hmmm - does yield any cause for concern to Alpari Traders? I'm just posing the question, that's all.

Yep, that makes me feel much better knowing that this broker is in bed with Deutsche Bank - oh, I'm sorry, I mean dbFXCM. It would seem like almost all roads in FX Retail lead back to FXCM. How wonderful a thing to know! (n)

I guess, for me, the only nice thing about what I've just learned here about Alpari, is the fact that at least it had the good judgment to deposit YOUR funds with Barclays.

(I pref dont want to open an account with a US company as it looks like they are about to change leverage to 10:1)

Two things:

A) 10:1 is a non-starter here in the U.S. It is a really bad joke. Quite frankly, I think it is nothing more than the Futures Markets here, doing their level best to politicize FX traders into the Futures 6E market to boost its liquidity. 6E has been struggling to pick-up accounts and has not grown anywhere near the level of pair/spot (FX Retail).

However, if the CFTC plunges leverage to 10:1, I'm flying my capital out of the U.S. to an off-shore source for trade execution - hands down - no questions asked. So, too will plenty of others (real traders) and there are several sources to rest with overseas if you are based in the States.

B) Not knowing anything at all about Alpari, all I can tell you is that having any connection to FXCM, bothers me to no end. It has been reported here (I have not confirmed the truth of the matter) that they use as their PM, Deutsche Bank. Under normal circumstances, that would have been a very solid move. However, the circumstances are not normal.

On January 22, 2010 (last Friday), FXCM had a mission critical failure in either their Server Farm, or their trader facing Network. In either case, when FXCM's hardware crashed or went down, so too did Deutsche Bank's. That was not supposed to happen because Deutsche Bank made it abundantly clear that they were ONLY using the FXCM front-end on-top of their own infrastructure (Hardware, Networks and Datafeeds). Well, not being able to login into your dbFX platform, when FXCM is having "technical difficulties" and then being able to login, precisely when FXCM solves their problems, is proof enough that you were not using your own infrastructure.

So, the troublesome question is this: since I know dbFX is running my logon through an FXCM Server, using FXCM's Hardware and FXCM's Network while authenticating my access through an FXCM Gateway (an FXCM IP address), then how on earth am I supposed to also believe that the data feed and thus the pricing is not being passed through an FXCM management algorithm?

Oh, sure (some people have said), it might be an FXCM server, but since Deutsche Bank is the largest liquidity provider to the FX markets anyway, what would it matter of their (dbFX) entire solution were being housed on the FXCM framework, since FXCM gets its largest liquidity pool from Deutsche Bank anyway?

Well, here is the problem with that argument:

1) Even if the latter is true, dbFX staked its claim and its reputation on the fact that it was delivering its OWN private solution to its own customers and ONLY using the FXCM front-end - not any of the FXCM hardware framework.

2) If the dbFX accounts, that are NOT supposed to belong to FXCM in a sub-management routine, were truly dbFX's, then how can anyone know for sure that the trade management (back-office) algorithms used by FXCM against its own customers, are not the exact same trade management algorithms used against dbFX customers, given that no one can differentiate either dbFX or FXCM from a Hardware, Software and Networking standpoint?

How does this relate to Alpari? Alpari, has decided to use as its PM, the very same BANK that lied about its relationship with FXCM to its own customers. Now, maybe some traders don't care at all that Alpari is using a lying PM, but at some point, your trading business comes in contact with a BANK that has already lied (and gotten caught doing so) to its own traders.

That's what makes this such a huge issue to me, personally and from a purely logical business standpoint. Thus, for me (at least), I need as much time and distance away from both FXCM and Deutsche Bank as possible for my trading business and if using a Broker that has aligned itself with either on the trade execution end of the business (not the liquidity side of the equation), means that I don't trade, then I move back to equity derivatives or into gold derivatives - my technical system will work almost in any market. I may not get the same leverage, but I won't get the hassle either.

That's my 2 pip spread on the matter quite frankly.

So are you guys still using Alpari as I was about to open an account with them but read many negative reviews. I want to automate my trades so thought the MT4 platform with them will be ok unless you have other suggestions? (I pref dont want to open an account with a US company as it looks like they are about to change leverage to 10:1)

I was not happy on live account fills and all their claims.

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-brokers/75944-dealing-desk-brokers-avoid-them-4.html

I thought I'd drop a quick note to say that I have now been with Alpari for two years. I remain very happy with the service I get. Never had any problems getting money out! I don't trade at peak news times - when I understand some have difficulty getting orders filled, but when I do trade I generally get my trades filled quickly and at the anticipated price.

Broadly speaking, I'm mostly happy!

Sorry if I`ve missed it in my search--but has anyone been using Alpari recently.
I`m looking for a UK alternative to my SB account and would appreciate any feedback.
Thanks

I currently use Alpari demoand micro acc. However I they dont welcome sclapers on like account like on the demo.

I thought I'd drop a quick note to say that I have now been with Alpari for two years. I remain very happy with the service I get. Never had any problems getting money out! I don't trade at peak news times - when I understand some have difficulty getting orders filled, but when I do trade I generally get my trades filled quickly and at the anticipated price.

Broadly speaking, I'm mostly happy!

Sounds very good. I opened new account Alpari pro two week ago. Had to switch my broker very fast, it blocked all my automated trades from 11:00 to 01:00) Everything is great with Alpari so far but minimum deposit was an issue for me.