Almost free real-time & historical market data

scotty_dog

http://www.opentick.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37

Looks interesting.

--------------------------------------

opentick.com delivers free real-time and historical market data

The world’s first free real-time and historical market data solution hits the market this week, after two years of development.

Aimed at program traders, automated traders, black box trading systems, and grey box trading platforms, otFeed provides real-time data and a massive historical tick database via a proprietary suite of application program interfaces (APIs) direct from the NASDAQ, NYSE, CME, CBOT, CBOE, and OPRA. The only cost is exchange fees.

“opentick was founded based on need for a cost effective -- free -- method for traders to have continuous access to a ticker plant for real-time and historical data.” said Noah Lieske, director of business development. “otFeed provides a means for traders, trading systems, trading platforms, and other software applications to receive historical and real-time data at no cost.”

Lieske said the system grew out of an internal need and is based on the open source community model, applied to the financial industry.

opentick’s real-time data feeds include all data available from the exchanges for stocks, futures, and stock options (including option chains) for both Level I & II data. This data is delivered to the users directly from the exchanges over the Internet, via dedicated leased lines, or gigabit Ethernet for collocated customers.

Historical tick data from these exchanges for all stocks, futures, and options via API from its proprietary database, containing up to five years of historical tick data, is provided through otFeed. Historical tick data also is available in OHLC format (open, high, low, close) in a variety of time frames.

Data access is provided via a proprietary suite of application program interfaces available on a number of platforms, programming languages, operating systems and trading environments. Currently, otFeed will populate Wealth Lab (wealth-lab.com), Smart Quant (smartquant.com), and Right Edge (rightedge.com) with real-time and historical data. Additional platforms are in the process of being integrated with otFeed.

To assure 100% uptime of deliverable real-time data, opentick maintains multiple collocation facilities and receives data directly from the exchanges. All historical data is stored on redundant storage arrays.

“Users of our system receive market data in a comprehensible format for their applications. We are proud to offer all of the US exchanges as well as access to our 10-terabyte historical database for free, for an indefinite period of time. Clearly, we are the first organization to provide data of this nature in such a format. We simply ask our customers to pay for exchange fees.”

The opentick corporation is a market data provider based in Naples, Florida. The company delivers market data for traders and trading applications. For information, email Noah S. Lieske at [email protected] or visit opentick.com.

Contact Details:
opentick corporation
400 Fifth Avenue South, Suite #302
Naples, Florida 34102
Toll free: 1.888.OPENTICK (888.673.6842)
Local: 239.262.1629
[email protected]

There must be a catch.

Getting data from exchanges is very expensive and running leased line and interent servers all costs money.
They can't give it away forever.

This now seems to be up and running - www.opentick.com and works on Excel and MultiCharts now too.

For eSignal users, this is certainly worth a look-in - you only have to pay for exchange fee's.

Minor downside is they dont have Eurex quotes.

Are you using this to trade?
Heard on ET that it was not that reliable but may have improved.

What is the latency like?

i''m not using it yet. i was going to sign up to the emini's and run it alongside eSignal and see how they compare for a while

Would be interested to know how you get on with it.
At some point if they decide it's viable to continue then they will start to charge.

Still waiting for someone to offer a service that solves the basic problems of
poor reliability and high latency that all current internet delivered datafeeds suffer from.

jmreeve said:
Would be interested to know how you get on with it.
Me too.

Anyone who produces a reliable alterative to esignal at no cost will be welcome on my machine.

I hope they will provide an interface to TS 2000i though.

LevII said:
I hope they will provide an interface to TS 2000i though.

I dunno if you've checked out MultiCharts? its basically a rebadged TS2000i hack with quite a few decent extra features. Runs EL and a few other languages as well, and resolves some of the data issues that persist with TS to this day, such as tick granularity, and mutiple TF charts in one chart, ie: minute and tick.

Arbitrageur said:
I dunno if you've checked out MultiCharts? its basically a rebadged TS2000i hack with quite a few decent extra features. Runs EL and a few other languages as well, and resolves some of the data issues that persist with TS to this day, such as tick granularity, and mutiple TF charts in one chart, ie: minute and tick.
Thanks for the suggestion - no I haven't.

Does it have a 'Radar Screen' as part of the package? I can't find any reference to it on the web site.

anyone could retrieve any intervals of stock/index quotes in csv format?
i always get no data 1003 respond

Arbitrageur said:
i''m not using it yet. i was going to sign up to the emini's and run it alongside eSignal and see how they compare for a while

How did you get on with this?
Was the opentick feed any good or did you stick with esignal?