All Failed Traders should become Vendors!!

Actually, when I had the pic taken I made sure to stand right next to a sign that said no photos please. My daughter still laughs at that and thinks I'm an idiot...well, she may be right :clap:

Now back to the topic!

Peter

On my second visit to Edwards Air Force Base I took a picture of the sign that said among other things "Do not photograph or sketch." That was at the height of the cold war so it was probably reckless, but I thought it pretty funny. Funnier yet, I took it with my Minox camera, the spy camera of that age.

A friend of mine recently ponied up to go to a Van Tharp course in North Carolina. $4k for 3 days (ouch) but he came back looking as though he'd witnessed something religious. Now, Van Tharp is a psychologist by training, not a trader. The whole thrust of the course was about evaluating yourself and attempting to work out which trading system was the best fit.

I think this approach might have more merit than "here - trade these patterns".

How is your friend doing since going on the Van Tharp course? has their trading improved? do they still think it worth it a few months later? I like Van Tharp's books, some of the best I have read.

I like Van Tharp's books, some of the best I have read.

Its quite bizarre that one of the few genuinely useful trading books out there is written by a guy who by his own admission does not trade !

FWIW I like Van Tharp too.

How is your friend doing since going on the Van Tharp course? has their trading improved? do they still think it worth it a few months later? I like Van Tharp's books, some of the best I have read.

Well, it's certainly helped him to focus. He was relatively new to prop trading and couldn't really settle on a style. He's been making money the last month or two, but I'll check on him again in a year, that's probably a better sample size. Van Tharp is really about helping you find your style, but he does assist with technique development as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's certainly helped him to focus. He was relatively new to prop trading and couldn't really settle on a style. He's been making money the last month or two, but I'll check on him again in a year, that's probably a better sample size. Van Tharp is really about helping you find your style, but he does assist with technique development as well.

It's OK Mean, just don't make a habit of it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just means laughs, messing around, fooling about etc.

"Dude, why did you flip that cop off while speeding at 100 mph and pulling a moony out the window? And then when he pulled you over why did you take a swig of scotch and ask him if he had a light for your crack pipe? You just know you're gonna get an ass-whompin'."

"I did it for the lulz".

I'm totally ****ed up in the head atm. I'm liek a manic depressive or something, except the two are switching at 5 minute intervals. Seriously, I'm totally insane. Done the mental berakdown thing a year ago or so but this is more a reality disconnection, except with the connection intact, just emotions random walking...

...And the lulz are healing... don't take away the lulz

From what I understand from his books are that if you understand the win / loss ration of the system you are using and you get your risk / reward ratio correct, and position sizing correct then even a very basic system will make you substantial money (Turtle traders being a classic example). I would be interested to know if you are going to learn a lot more from the courses than you can get from the books?

From what I understand from his books are that if you understand the win / loss ration of the system you are using and you get your risk / reward ratio correct, and position sizing correct then even a very basic system will make you substantial money (Turtle traders being a classic example). I would be interested to know if you are going to learn a lot more from the courses than you can get from the books?

Yes you will make a substantial amount of money with that method if you compound, but it might take 20 years. Most people will give up after 3 losing trades, forget about lasting 20 years.

Yes you will make a substantial amount of money with that method if you compound, but it might take 20 years. Most people will give up after 3 losing trades, forget about lasting 20 years.

It didn't take the Turtle 20 years?