algorythmic trading (algos) - messing up the markets!

For what it is worth, I thought you were Aaron too, but I realise even if you are, you still have to deny it :)

I can't really understand your position on this jfutures. They are algos, so they are following an algorithm, a set of rules that have been programmed into them, simplistic or otherwise. When you look at a market, you are looking for patterns and how to profit from them. Algos following strict rules should give you patterns, right? Some algos might be front running as you say, but other algos won't. They will be trading in a completely different way, perhaps exploiting arbitrage, or even trading in ways that have been successful in the past. The front runners may get an advantage in terms of speed, but realistically, this is unlikely to affect you. Unless you're a big hitter or in an illiquid market they won't care about your order. It seems that you just want to give yourself reasons to fail. If you're fighting against yourself, and that self-destructive you probably should forget trading imo.

In any case they are not the only ones in the market, and as far as I know the central banks don't intervene by front running other people's orders, and those who need a currency or commodity are going to buy it regardless. The algo influence might grow, but some algos will inevitably lose, and I don't believe the market will ever get to 99% algo. In any case, they are just following rules, and though a computer can work faster than you, it is confined to its rules and can';t make the kind of deductive leaps that a human can. They also have to trade according to their rules unless switched off regardless of context.

I also don't understand how you can say they are not basing decisions technically. How can you make such a statement? People play support and resistance in different ways, some enter ahead of it, some behind, and there are many other forms of technical analysis. If technical analysis is using past price and present price to make a trade, then surely they are likely to be making their decisions technically. They certainly aren't all making them on gut or fundamentals. You can say they are front-running orders, and I see where you're coming from, but if you're using support and resistance, you're not that much different. Support and Resistance tell you where some orders are likely to be. Brokers have known about the location of stops for a long time. They are just different ways of taking advantage of people placing trades.

From what I see, there are more than enough moves in the charts recently have been very technical for you to profit from. Yesterday for example.