Advice on computers

krys*

Hello,

I am a bit of a technophobe, so would appreciate some advice on computers and screens.

I would like to set up a desktop computer with 3 screens (20inches each). All i will be using it for is trading and excel and netflixs, so I guess it does not really need to be fancy.

Is there any computer brand that people can recommend?
What should I be looking for when purchasing a computer?
Do I need to buy anything special to run 3 screens?
Are power line adapters any good?

On a side issue, I currently have a wireless connections on my PC ranging from 16mb to 35mb (have BT infinity), but the Internet feels really slow. Have called BT numerous times with no real solution aside from reset the router / change the channel setting. Any other advice?

Thanks

Hello,

I am a bit of a technophobe, so would appreciate some advice on computers and screens.

I would like to set up a desktop computer with 3 screens (20inches each). All i will be using it for is trading and excel and netflixs, so I guess it does not really need to be fancy.

On a side issue, I currently have a wireless connections on my PC ranging from 16mb to 35mb (have BT infinity), but the Internet feels really slow. Have called BT numerous times with no real solution aside from reset the router / change the channel setting. Any other advice?

Thanks

take a look at these - just for reference
(the link for these was previously found on this site and recommended)
he sends out videos if you fill in the email, and are very useful, but he sends to many in the end, so most go in the spam

http://tradingcomputersnow.com/all-trading-computers/

you need a 2 video cards preferably of the same brand for 3+ screens
2 screens per card usually
or a dedicated card to go along side the main card - and they can usually run 4-12 extra screens, depending on the card

or for 3 screens you could run 2 off the main card, and one off a USB - DVI adapter (which are quite cheap on a well known auction site)

also 20" screens are a bit small after a while, 22"s are seen as a minimum these days and 25+ are best

Last edited:
Powerline adapters, hadn't even heard of them, googled it.
Once I saw what they did, first thing I thought of was ring main interference.
Sure enough, mentioned here in device limitations:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/buying-a...-powerline-networking-adaptors-buying-advice/

As far as I know fridges and similar can introduce interference as well.
Equipment such as high end AV can have reduced quality due to this,
mains conditioners cure it.
The article above says powerline adapters may not work in a multi-way extension though.

TBH I still prefer a hardwired cat5 ethernet network.
It just works no hassle.

BT - check your speed and ping here:
http://www.speedtest.net/http://www.speedtest.net/http://www.speedtest.net/
Choose a server nearest to you for the test.
If its well below the speed you should be getting (allowing for distance to exchange)
there are a few things to try:
1. Reset connection every day - power all network gear off - reason
retail ISP's aren't designed for always on like commercial connections are.
After 24hrs always on, a lot of ISP's start to throttle your speed.

2. WiFi network security - do all your modems and routers have secure
passwords consisting of upper / lower case letter mix and numbers - nothing obvious either.
If your WiFi gear has default factory passwords - usually admin, its easy to remote hack
a WiFi network - somebody could be hogging your bandwidth.
Thats why I don't like WiFi full stop - even secure network passwords can be hacked as well,
although rare and unlikely.
Don't get freaked out, its not a certainty, but it is possible.

3. If the above doesn't work - change ISP - go for one with good reviews:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php
You get what you pay for regarding quality, downtime and tech support,
as an ex customer of a an ISP with a fruit name of many years ago, I talk from bitter experience...

Tip - if BT or any other ISP give you hassle with MAC codes to transfer to new ISP,
as long as you don't care about landline number - just tell BT you want a new
phone number - this will remove all tags from your line.
The alternative is to do it the hard way:
http://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/guides/help/dealing-with-a-tag-on-your-phone-line
In practice, if you have a lousy ISP, they will stall, try and sell you another crap package etc.
New phone number is done and dusted in a few days, much simpler.

Last edited:
If you're going to cost in a complete kit out, it might serve your purposes better to consider a tower and 2 laptops of two towers and laptop. Extra power, redundancy, portability. I've survived powerouts with sufficient time to close positions by tethering my mobile to my laptop.

Only need one keyboard/mouse no graphics sharing cards - just use synergy - it's open source and free and works like a dream.

Hello,

Thanks

You mentioned that you're a technophobe, and you'll be using your computer to watch Netflix. Have you considered ditching the computer monitors altogether in favor of a large screen LCD TV? I've used this setup in my home for a couple of years and haven't looked back. You can subdivide the screen into multiple windows. That lets you mimic the effect of having 4 monitors, but then you have the added option of maximizing to one large screen when you want.

I have a nettop computer which sits right on top of my cable box. I connect the computer to my TV using an HDMI cable. I prefer this setup to using an internet capable TV, because I can use the nettop computer to access web content just like I would on a desktop computer only with a large TV screen.

You mentioned that you're a technophobe, and you'll be using your computer to watch Netflix. Have you considered ditching the computer monitors altogether in favor of a large screen LCD TV? I've used this setup in my home for a couple of years and haven't looked back. You can subdivide the screen into multiple windows. That lets you mimic the effect of having 4 monitors, but then you have the added option of maximizing to one large screen when you want.

I have a nettop computer which sits right on top of my cable box. I connect the computer to my TV using an HDMI cable. I prefer this setup to using an internet capable TV, because I can use the nettop computer to access web content just like I would on a desktop computer only with a large TV screen.

I like your style , Jason.

I have 3 smart TV's wall mounted around the house, are you saying I could split say my Sony 50 inch into a quad screen for my charts ?

And , do you know if you can transmit laptop screen wireless to TV screen ? They are smart DLNA tv's connected to the net already.

Technology is scaring me a bit. On the news today they said only 2 years off before a Town in the UK has driver less pod cars .:eek:

What are we, just 10 years off a full blown Blade Runner existence already ?! :D

Cheers, for any tips.

I have 3 smart TV's wall mounted around the house, are you saying I could split say my Sony 50 inch into a quad screen for my charts ?

And , do you know if you can transmit laptop screen wireless to TV screen ? They are smart DLNA tv's connected to the net already.

Technology is scaring me a bit. On the news today they said only 2 years off before a Town in the UK has driver less pod cars .:eek:

What are we, just 10 years off a full blown Blade Runner existence already ?! :D

Cheers, for any tips.

I do the same, you dont quarter the screen so much - but you do need
a platfrom or broker web platform that allows you to arrange a workspace and save it.
Set up 4 charts - quarter each - save workspace as quad screen or whatever.

Laptop to TV screen share - try this:
http://www.screenleap.com/
PC to TV wireless is possible, but I'm no fan of wireless,
and the reviewer had stuuter in video feed:
http://gigaom.com/2011/03/08/imation-link-netgear-push2tv-veebeam-compared/

To the OP - you don't need to shell out a lot of money on a PC.
CPU requirements are not massive at all.
Plenty of RAM and multiple monitor connections are all you really need.
Alternaitvely, look a few posts back regarding using a single large TV screen quartered,
with maybe a secondary physical monitor - thats what I do.

Unless you are a hardcore scalper or running loads of code, you just don't need the CPU power.

On the most basic spec PC you can get today, Ninja trader for instance
will have an average CPU usage floor of 5% with the odd 50% spike on account login,
or software start.

Last edited:

Yes, exactly :D

You probably could, though this is not the setup I prefer. I like to have a dedicated nettop computer that stays in my entertainment center and connect it to my TV using an HDMI cable. If you're watching movies through your computer, this will also give you the best video and sound, though if you already already running Netflix through your Smart TV it might not matter as much to you.

Personally, I don't like the "Smart" features of Smart TVs because I've noticed that the content from sites like Hulu is limited compared to what you can get from those same sites using a computer. By by connecting my nettop computer to my TV, I get the best of both worlds: PC-level access to web content on a large TV screen. (y)

Last edited:
Cheers, Jason. I've not heard of a nettop computer before now.

They look very good. Great too for passive trading . I'd really no idea these things existed. Must be getting old.

Hard to keep pace with the tech changes, especially as I'm rural so don't exactly walk past tech centres .

Thanks very much. Big screen charts , done ! Good value too online.

(y)

Cheers, Jason. I've not heard of a nettop computer before now.

They look very good. Great too for passive trading . I'd really no idea these things existed. Must be getting old.

One thing I'd recommend is to make sure you don't get one that's underpowered for your needs. The most basic nettops are really just for light surfing and playing videos from sites like Hulu, Netflix and Youtube. I use an Acer Revo RL100-U1002, which has worked well for me in running Trading Station with multiple chart windows. I got it a couple of years back, so there are better models out there now for less, but you can look at the specs here to get an idea: http://amzn.to/1gx844Z

. . . Have you considered ditching the computer monitors altogether in favor of a large screen LCD TV? I've used this setup in my home for a couple of years and haven't looked back. . . .

But your screen (however large) is still gonna be 1920 * 1080 (or thereabouts) resolution non?

Powerline adapters, hadn't even heard of them, googled it.
Once I saw what they did, first thing I thought of was ring main interference.
Sure enough, mentioned here in device limitations

Been using them instead of Wifi for years, never ever had a problem. Even work fine when plugged into extension leads etc.

. . .
http://tradingcomputersnow.com/all-trading-computers/

you need a 2 video cards preferably of the same brand for 3+ screens
2 screens per card usually or a dedicated card to go along side the main card - and they can usually run 4-12 extra screens, depending on the card

That site looks a bit billy-bulls1t to me. Would be surprised if any graphics card > £150 can't handle 2 monitors.

My 2gb 7850 is more than capable of handling 2 x Del 2711's both at 2560x1440 res.

To the OP - you don't need to shell out a lot of money on a PC.
CPU requirements are not massive at all.
. . .
Unless you are a hardcore scalper or running loads of code, you just don't need the CPU power.

On the most basic spec PC you can get today, Ninja trader for instance
will have an average CPU usage floor of 5% with the odd 50% spike on account login,or software start.

Yup.

Bottom line . . . £600 for just the box would get you a carefully configured, overkill build constructed from hi-quality parts.

Echo the usefulness of those powerline link adapters, I've even got one in the loft :) Great bit of tech.

It's a grubby loft mind, I don't trade from it,although it conjures up a funny image .

It's in the loft to drop a broadband feed down from above into the shower room wall, on the outside of which a smart tv hugs , direct DLNA content no cables visible.

:)

I Use the ones. Even connected some for a few local ladies who wanted BBCi across the room etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O

Last edited:
That site looks a bit billy-bulls1t to me. Would be surprised if any graphics card > £150 can't handle 2 monitors.

well, that site was recommended by one of the regulars on this site, can't remember who now, but i found it useful
actually i've cross referenced some of the bits he uses on that site and most is top kit, and not the regular rubbish in a Dell and such like
i did say use it for reference, and he does know what hes on about, and the PDF he sends and videos has some very useful information most won't know about

it depends what you need the PC for, if you run multiple applications of MT4 with many custom indicators then a regular £600 PC won't really do
where as if running something like one Ninja application then just about anything will be fine

i use 12x 22" monitors when needed, i bought them all a few yrs ago, so they would all match, but don't often use all now at once, but still have them up,
i trade slightly different now, but sometimes need 8 or so on at once for things like NFP or research
so any old 2 output card just won't do, especially as alot are still VGA and DVI and need all DVI

i have a Panasonic 50" plasma in the trading room also - but find the split monitors far easier to use, sure the plasma looks ok with charts on it
but prefer the TV for watching TV :)

maybe 8 or 10x 25"s would be my ideal - but happy as it is

Last edited:
Been using them instead of Wifi for years, never ever had a problem. Even work fine when plugged into extension leads etc.

Echo the usefulness of those powerline link adapters, I've even got one in the loft :) Great bit of tech.

It's a grubby loft mind, I don't trade from it,although it conjures up a funny image .

It's in the loft to drop a broadband feed down from above into the shower room wall, on the outside of which a smart tv hugs , direct DLNA content no cables visible.

:)

I Use the ones. Even connected some for a few local ladies who wanted BBCi across the room etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-PA411KIT-AV500-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B0084Y9N3O

Cheers dash and spin, good to know, will try them next time I have something that needs them :)

Last edited:
On the PC front I have to agree with dashing blade on that.
Those PC's are more like AV spec PC's.

Unless you run loads of code, feeds or some other CPU intensive task, its a waste.
There is no need.

nothing wrong with a bit overkill when it comes to making money
especially as software manufacturers make programs even more complex every wk and then the P.C slows down again
a trading computer is not the same as one for watching movies or listening to music, and with PCs so cheap, there is no reason not to have a separate trading computer

a major factor in a slow computer is basic file and HD maintenance
keep the drives defragmented at all times (obvious but how many do it regularly)
and an easy one is to keep nothing that is nt needed on a main desktop screen,
this can slow PCs down no end (not sure why) but if you save files to the desktop, or add too many icons, after a while a PC can work like a dog
also re-load windows at least once every 3 months, even better if more frequently (saved off a back up drive)
makes sense anyway as new viruses can get in and not all virus software is updated quick enough to pick all up

anyhow we get what we pay for :)

http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/

Attachments

• How To Buy A Trading Computer 6-7-2013.pdf
    308.3 KB · Views: 2,141
Last edited:
WR1 - agree on maintenance - defrag etc.
Ram is important, CPU isn't really that big a deal for
most retail applications.

Start all your software that you run when trading,
ideally needs to be at active time so disk load and ram usage
is realistic.

Then right click your system tray clock > task manager > performance.
See what your CPU usage is - I would be highly surprised if its
much more than 5-10% with the odd spike now and then.
Even spikes will rarely use all the CPU power.
Most trading platforms, especially web based are not high CPU load applications.
The main sensitivity is Ram and net connection speed / quality.

The other thing with more high end PC's is driver stability.
The hardware is newer, so drivers are not likely to be as stable or mature as
hardware that is not near the cutting edge.
Not a certainty by any means though.
I have to say though, the vast majority of PC headaches I've had in the past
have been due to software and drivers that are not stable and mature.

Personally, I don't want to be a beta tester for Microsoft, Intel, IBM, ATI etc.
Been there and done that.
Older hardware / software combinations are more reliable.
Being cheaper is not the deciding factor, stability is.
So why potentially risk stability in return for power you don't really need.

BTW - PDF you posted is from a PC builder /vendor - who by definition has an
interest in pushing the latest hardware.
You will never see any PC builder or vendor recommend cheaper gear due to stability,
or going further, sticking with what you've got, its not in their interests to do so.
I've been using, maintaining and building my own PC's for over 13 years,
and that has been my experience of latest hardware Vs mature hardware.

Last edited:
To be fair, there is one thing in newer hardware's favour - you will
get more use out of it before it gets to the stage where it doesn't
have the power to run current software.

As an example there are 4 PC's on my network, the oldest one
is a rackmount from 2006 still going strong, no reason to replace,
and I don't want to as I literally know it inside out.
Apart from critical hardware failure, I can have most problems
sorted within 5 mins by cloning an HDD image.

These days the only time I change a PC is when the MOBO / CPU dies,
which is rare.
By that point everything else (ram, PSU & drives) is too old to bother replacing
just the CPU or motherboard.

Last edited: