Adaptive volatility system

fowkesp

Here's the TS2000i code for a system posted a while ago on Chuck Le Beau's forum. It is a basic breakout system that modifies its behaviour according to changes in longer-term (LT) versus short-term (ST) volatility. I managed to get some quite respectable results from this on indices (eg SPX), but not futures.

You will need to experiment with the parameters and the time-frame of the charts you use - it is possible to obtain some good theoretical results. But would you trade it in practice?

inputs: len(5), LT(21), ST(6), Price(Close);
vars: activity(0), factor(0), Breakout(0);

activity = xaverage(truerange, len);
factor = xaverage(TrueRange, LT)/xaverage(TrueRange, ST);

Breakout = activity * factor;

If marketposition <> 1 then buy Price + Breakout stop;
If marketposition <> -1 then sell Price - Breakout stop;

Paul

Paul,

Thanks for this, code is always useful. I have noted that a few of the systems that I developed worked great on an index but not on the future. As I trade using direct access then SB is not an option I use but I wish you well.

Paul

Paul,

I don't trade this and never have. It was just some back-testing research (a few tens of hours amongst hundreds :D ) and I came to the conclusion that it was not worth the bother.

At one point, I ended up with an SPX-based system that traded the ES as a proxy. To get best results, it was necessary to hold the overnight SPX position, but because during the opening 5 minutes or so of the SPX in the morning the price is considerably different from the future, I had to construct a second system for the overnight ES that made sure I wasn't the wrong side of the market if it gapped up or down. It got very complicated :)

You're right though. Indices are often better than futures as the instrument to trigger trades because there is less noise in there.

Paul