In this article we present a simple trading system that we developed based on the concepts outlined in The 10 Power Principles of Successful Trading Systems.

Step 1: Selecting a market and timeframe​

One of the most popular markets these days is the e-mini S&P, and that's not without a reason: It's a 500 company index. One of the largest in the world and that means you have excellent and consistent liquidity, superb volatility, tremendous leverage and no uptick rule. It's a truly bi-directional market that shorts just as easily and safely as going long. It's a fully electronic market, offering all the advantages of electronic contracts.

We decide to trade the market intraday, i.e. we will enter and exit a trade on the same day, because we do not want to expose our position to the risk of holding it overnight.

Step 2: Define entry rules​

In my opinion swing trading is actually one of the best trading styles for the beginning trader to get his or her feet wet. That's why we decided to use a swing trading approach in this example.

Many traders are familiar with the concept of "Bollinger Bands": Bollinger Bands consist of a centerline and two price channels, one above the centerline and one below. The important thing to know about Bollinger Bands is that they contain up to 95% of the closing prices, depending on the settings.

pic_01.jpg

In the chart above you see the red centerline and the blue price channels. There are only 2 days in the beginning of November when prices close outside the Bollinger Bands.

We are using this knowledge to create a very simple entry rule:
  • Sell when prices move above the Bollinger Bands and
  • Buy when prices move below the Bollinger Bands.

The idea is that prices will move back into the Bollinger Bands by the end of the day.

Step 3: Define exit rules​

Let's start with a very simple exit rule:
  • Exit the trade at the close of the same day.

Below is the equity curve of the last 2 years. The first results are encouraging.

pic_02.jpg

Step 4: Evaluate your system​

The Net Profit of this simple trading system is $13,525.
The Average Profit per trade is $149. Even if we deduct $20 for commissions and slippage we still have a net profit of $129 per trade.
The Profit Factor is 2.20.
The Winning Percentage is 66% and the Maximum Drawdown at the end of the day is only $2,775, though we have to suffer an Intraday Drawdown of $5,250.

The next step is to test the robustness of the system. Therefore we will vary the parameters we are using for the Bollinger Bands to make sure that we haven't curve-fitted the system. If the system produces similar results when we vary the original parameters by 15%, we have a quite robust trading system.

Originally we tested the system with a setting of 34 for the Moving Average and 2.5 for the Standard Deviation. The table below shows the results of the system when using a Moving Average between 29 and 39:

pic_03.jpg

As you can see, none of these figures change dramatically when varying the parameters.
In the next step we run the system on different markets to make sure that we haven't optimized the system for a single market.

We test the system on 5 different markets:

pic_04.jpg

The net profit, average trade and max drawdown are substantially different, but the Profit Factor seems to be quite stable. The reason for this distorted picture is the different value of these five markets. In the next table we look at the Average Profit and the Max Drawdown as a percentage of the net profit:

pic_05.jpg

Now we see a different picture: Only the Max Drawdown differs quite a bit depending on the market, but the remaining figures are rather stable.

It seems that we developed a robust trading system that will perform well in real market conditions and on several markets.

Step 5: Improving your system​

We try to improve our system by adding a stop loss:

pic_06.jpg

Notice that the system performs best without any stops.

Another interesting test is to increase the duration of the trade: The original rules said that we exit the trade at the end of the day. The following table shows the results when we add x days:

pic_07.jpg

If we exit on at the end of the 2nd day after entering the market, we increase the net profit and decrease the Max Drawdown. That's the kind of improvement we are looking for.

As a last step we test these settings on the five markets again to ensure that we haven't curve-fit the parameters to only one market:

Original settings (exit on the same day):

pic_08.jpg

Modified settings (exit on the close of the 2nd day after entering):

pic_09.jpg

We can see a dramatic improvement in the other markets, too.

Conclusion​

We started with a very simple idea and defined two easy entry rules. Applying the simplest of all stops (exiting at the end of the day) we received a system with a nice performance. We tested the system with several parameters and on several markets to make sure that we haven't curve-fitted the system to a certain parameter set or market. Then we tried to improve the system: While applying a stop loss did not increase the system's performance, the increase of the time in the trade was very successful: We increase the net profit by 30% while decreasing the max drawdown by 17%. Applying these new rules to the other markets we noticed a dramatic increase of all figures in all markets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this to be some what confusing and didnt make a lot of sense I am sure the developer knows what hes saying and doing but it didnt come across the article to me very well and I have been trading for several years now

twalker said:
Markus,
Thanks, I enjoyed the article. More ideas into the pot IMO. I have it running on TS and personally was not disturbed by how it backtested. I have a portfolio that just tracks these public domain systems. It will be interesting to see how yours compares over the coming months.

I posted 2 equity curves back to start 1998. First is uncompounded second is applying fixed ratio MM with a $10k delta. The one obvious drawdown just re-enforces the necessity to diversify into many systems/markets and keep risk in any single strat limited.

Have included $2.50/side cost and $12.50/side slip.

Hi twalker,

Interesting equity curves, thanks for posting. Absolutely agree with your comment on the need to diversify systems and markets. I think it was Markowitz who said that diversification is as close to a free lunch as investors can expect.

From your post you mention you track several public domain systems. Would you be kind enough to list them here?

I've attached a link below to public domain system I found last week. Extremely simple and seemingly profitable, although I haven't tested it for myself yet. See the link below for more details.

http://www.tigersharktrading.com/articles/147/1/An-Overnight-Trading-Strategy-in-36-Futures-Markets

Cheers,
AM

Lets look through the round window....

Lets have a closer look at what this system puts the trader through...

Using Fix Ratio MM everything is great until some point in 2001 when the mother of all drawdowns descends upon you in what looks like about 3 trades!!

I am sorry guys to spoil the party but trading is about the detail - can anyone say with hand on heart that they would have carried on trading right through this?? See Attached equity chart.

Spam monkey made the point earlier that this should be about addressing the issue of system design.
It would be FANTASTIC to address why this drawdown happened and ways to prevent it or reduce it.
Clearly something went wrong (could be data??).

Attachments

• Simple trading.doc
    50 KB · Views: 466
I can say that I would indeed. One thing I would not do is trade this system exclusively. You have to diversify by product and system. I do not believe you could survive this draw if this was all you had. If you see this in back test then it is time to go and see exactly why it occured and assess how likely this is to happen again.

twalker said:
I can say that I would indeed. One thing I would not do is trade this system exclusively. You have to diversify by product and system. I do not believe you could survive this draw if this was all you had. If you see this in back test then it is time to go and see exactly why it occured and assess how likely this is to happen again.

By product diversity, do you mean trading something like an index and forex? Do you consider trading two different indices as diversification? eg/ S&P500 and Nasdaq 100?

new_trader said:
By product diversity, do you mean trading something like an index and forex? Do you consider trading two different indices as diversification? eg/ S&P500 and Nasdaq 100?

You can diversify your trading via running different Systems on different Instruments over different Timeframes.

E.g.

Strategy - Trendfollowing / Volatility Breakout / Pattern Recognition etc
Instrument - Sugar, Oil, USDCHF, Bund, Copper, Vodafone etc
Timeframe - Scalping, Spreading, Intraday, 2 day trade, 14 day trade, 20 EMA vs 50 EMA, 100 EMA vs 250EMA etc

For maximum diversification one would want to trade a basket of non-correlated systems, instruments, timeframes. Regarding your indices question, trading S&P and NASDAQ offers less diversification than trading NASDAQ and Nat Gas.

AM