£250 bonus

frugi

"Without children, what would we be?"
"Clean, well-rested and permanently drunk!"

Quite possibly. Missing out on something unimaginably rewarding, perhaps, once the scales finally settle. Or selfish, materialistic and abnormal, to take some random, IMHO rather poorly thought out opinions held fiercely those who breed, sometimes directed - often with hurtful savagery - towards those who choose not to. But my intention is not to spark off an emotive, or indeed philosophical debate on the morality of and reasons for (our indigenous population) breeding, rather it is to be specific and address the government's new Child Trust Fund idea. [Though I am of course aware that the specific is almost bound to lead towards the general as soon as the analysis penetrates to any meaningful depth.]

Hey, time I turned the pomposity filter on ... :)

Anyway, I believe that those in the UK who choose to have a child will receive a trust fund of £250 (or £500 for low earners) for their offspring to spend on booze and fags when it comes of age. [If they're lucky it will have matched inflation over those 18 years and actually be worth something, depending on the choice of depository]. Did someone say suppository? Ouch.

Stay on topic man. :)

Does anyone else find this new vote winning tactic cynical ("Like, d'uh!" as a 'Mean Girl' might well interject) and, more importantly, discriminatory against the childless, or am I being a selfish churl who fails to see the wider benefit to society as a whole that this trust fund will provide? A fair-to-all benefit over and above all the other contributions we already make towards our youngsters?

Of course I have absolutely nothing against the principle - if not always the practice - of directing funds, through my taxes, towards the health, protection and education of future generations, but this 'hard cash to spend on what they choose' trust fund idea piques me considerably. I am tempted, perhaps even seriously, to think that the childless should be rewarded with a similar cash incentive for not bringing another Western net consumer into the world, to squander as they would wish, probably on cats. :LOL:

Approximately 600,000-700,000 children are born per year. This is a not insconsiderable sum to throw at them. Does Gordon see a return from this investment, I wonder (apart from staying in power) or is it just a drop in the proverbial?

I know this is a touchy subject but also one worthy of sensible rational discussion. Economic, philsophical, political and most other views welcome.

*flame suit armed and ready for incoming*

ROFL frugi, kids are great but I couldn't eat a whole one. As I understand it the Tories said if they got in they would scrap that and put the money into education. More kids equals more support for the state pension, maybe GB thinks we can breed ourselves out of that mess. I believe consumers have been the mainstay of the US economy in recent years so maybe there is some thought to that in the encouragement of rampant begatting.

It is poorly thought out attempt to bribe or induce voters to think they are doing good!

Unfortunately the vast majority of the electorate are intellectually challenged - that means thick as sh1t - so they probably won't see through it at all.

Unfortunately the majority of the electorate can't even be a*sed to vote, let alone think about whether they're being bribed or not.

pogle

pogle said:
Unfortunately the majority of the electorate can't even be a*sed to vote, let alone think about whether they're being bribed or not.

pogle

Thats probably because the choice is a little like , who would you prefer to be robbed by, peter or paul

I see that Blair has now delayed calling the General Election out of "respect for the Pope " !!

He is obviously gunning for the Catholic vote.

This guy is not averse to pulling any trick and he knows that the electorate ( or those who bother to vote) will fall for it.

frugi said:
Anyway, I believe that those in the UK who choose to have a child will receive a trust fund of £250 (or £500 for low earners) for their offspring to spend on booze and fags when it comes of age. [If they're lucky it will have matched inflation over those 18 years and actually be worth something, depending on the choice of depository]. Did someone say suppository? Ouch.

Or if you choose to use the bank I used you will actually lose money. My sons Child Trust Fund is down £25 in its first year, which is an impressive performance by Clydesdale bank.