101 ways to kill a cat

did t2w crash or sumthin? second time i have to write this

well to explain all of the details would tage ages and ages, so ill keep it brief.

I look at charts and volume histograms to give me a bit of context in where we are trading.

I use heikin ashi and 10 ema to answer question "which way is it going"?

from those two, i get a bias for being long, short or flat. when i have a long or short bias, my actual entry is done from the dom / t&s. I already know if I am buying or selling so I try to pick what i think could be a good time, like one that will see me in profits very soon.

I suppose I have to contribute here since I'm one of the worst lulz offenders. Bad job Barjon, deleting some of those recent posts. They were funny as f***, even if they were beyond appalling. And besides, he does have a small willy.

Anyway, I trade using 5 and 15 minute charts. I'm trying a tick as well, but I don't seem to be able to get on with it very well.

I look for the usual areas of interest, and then I wait for a very good price action trigger. There must (when I'm behaving myself) be a good story with it, but this is pretty obvious stuff.

For example, a great set up for me might be a good range of consolidation around an S/R flip and a round number, followed by a big engulfing bar.

I think where people mess up trying to trade this way is not waiting for the good story, the obvious areas, the nicely-formed trigger. Instead they trade a tiny pin bar in the middle of nowhere and then run about bleating that price action doesn't work.

My chosen markets are often very trendy intraday, so I normally just trail out leaving a good bit of room. I go to break even fairly smartly, and I tighten up the trailing stop if we get a convincing reversal signal. Other than that I try to let it go. I always close before the day's over.

I also fade crappy reversal signals. The principle is the same I suppose.

I think my trading is as simple as it is possible to get. I view it as trading the most obvious order flow, which makes sense to me.

I can't quite bring myself to go full time yet, but I do plan to do so this year. My job interferes just enough to be annoying, but I'm cautious by nature, so I'm not rushing.

The most important element of this is patience in my view. I'm not patient, I just got tired of losing money. That was when I started making money.

I think Reminiscences of a Stock Operator is severely underrated if anything.

And that's about it. How did I do Barjon? :)

Here is a very easy trade I did yesterday:

Someone sold 11 000 lots of March 12 Short Sterling at 14. That's a very large trade for a sterling outright. Because I know the evil algos that run that market teh majority of the time "think", I knew they'd dump a little bit at 13 (they did) and then manipulate it up to 14 to see if they can a) get the market moving up and if not b) at least dump a bit of their inventory to idiots, before then assuming the big trader is right and trading in his direction.

Now a) isn't going to happen because the market is coming off for a host of reasons (ECB tomorrow (i.e. today) being a major part of it so no one wants to be long fixed income (for what we can now see is very good reason) as well as sterling PMI plus a general downward trend) so I instead take the opportunity to sell 14s... in my role as an individual liquidity denier*

Of course very shortly afterwards we're trading 12 and I'm out there, as algo (and others who are longer than they want to be) gets out.

Now a slight digression... you may wonder why if people have a problem being long there, why on earth were they on the bid? Well there's two major reasons. Firstly that level caused a lot of calendar spreads to trade as well, as I believe it was actually 15 before hand and someone just went to market with a load of size, so they bought in other months two. Secondly, many traders and almost all algorithms put more on the bid than they actually "want", as the market are usually pretty slow and 15s would trade again before the 14s would trade out... so by bidding for too much (the fill algorithm is not quite pro rata but for simplicity let's call it that) they can buy what they want if 14s partially trade, then pull the order.

Is that my only, or even my main strategy? No. I trade order flow and news. But that's an example of how to trade using order flow, backed up with a knowledge born of experience about how the market behaves.

*My little joke... officially locals on liffe are "individual liquidity providers"

Enjoyed reading that...

I forgot to say, I like the little details, like a strong close. I know these things are arbitrary, and I will put them aside if the overall story is strong enough. A lot of people will laugh at that, and say that the close on a 15 or 5 minute bar is a stupid thing to worry about.

So it is, but I make more money now that I do. :)

For those astounded by Arabian's lurch from lulz he has opened a new *serious* thread and to start it off we have copied his (and associated) posts from here.

So to see the serious side of our king of Lulz go to http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/119456-arabians-serious-thread.html

jon

I just want to make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR than jon is NOT in my living room and has NOT attached my nipples to the mains, and even if he has he has certainly NOT turned the mains on every now and then until I made this post. Any suggestions otherwise are LIES.

arabian about short sterling notional... has it always been 500 large? did any of the specifications change when it went back to full ticks?

and

are you the best trader on trade to win?

:)

For those astounded by Arabian's lurch from lulz he has opened a new *serious* thread and to start it off we have copied his (and associated) posts from here.

So to see the serious side of our king of Lulz go to http://www.trade2win.com/boards/trading-journals/119456-arabians-serious-thread.html

jon

I read Dave's post and thought It'd be great to read more of that, hope he keeps it up/rises to the request, was it gamma jamma who did similar posts a while back?

arabian about short sterling notional... has it always been 500 large? did any of the specifications change when it went back to full ticks?

and

are you the best trader on trade to win?

will only answer questions on my thread

(not being a dick, just don't want to contaminate this one more, and answering this would "set a precedent" if you get me)

i didnt want to ask on your thread cos its off topic and i have marked your thread as a "no lulz zone" so i will be careful about what i write

ok well i will ask the second one but the first really i can find out for myself.

Does fly agaric give you any inspiration? :LOL:

I used to be a total shroomhead but mine were all the good uns, never tried that horrid sounding stuff...

I've 'heard' that the greatest insights don't necessarily come with the most pleasant experiences, curiosity is a better guide than mere sensual desire. There are more attractive conduits in both instances, so probably not recommended.

But it is a very pretty species and takes a great picture. :)

For me rates and short sterling r boring , few ticks daily range , i go for Sterling itself :cheesy: among other popular markets i trade as well .

Recipe :
ticker
5 minutes candle chart /naked
Davidoff lights
Colombian coffee
Bloomberg TV
FF calendar/news trading

I keep watching the ticker , have a look at the chart , one cig , sip of coffee then i take a position :rambo:

For me rates and short sterling r boring , few ticks daily range , i go for Sterling itself :cheesy: among other popular markets i trade as well .

Recipe :
ticker
5 minutes candle chart /naked
Davidoff lights
Colombian coffee
Bloomberg TV
FF calendar/news trading

I keep watching the ticker , have a look at the chart , one cig , sip of coffee then i take a position :rambo:

Gotta love the Columbians.

I mainly use a top down approach to guage the potential direction (and sometimes the trade).

Sometimes (but not always) this requires me to come down to the H1 to determine the exact entry based on s/r inflection areas with confluence.

There are a few other tricks that I use to extract money from the market. Some of them are relatively infrequent but are more than made up for by their extremely high strike rate.

More than anything I tend to use my memory to identify setups.

I actually think, the more experience I get the less I rely on fundamental and technical analysis and more on what I call Memory Analysis.

There are some patterns that you find recurring again and again. Sometimes they stay for a while and then the market stops making them and they may or may not come back so you have to trade them as you find them.

barjon : "tobacco & coffee. Ah! the real essentials"

money management is important 2 :D

barjon : "tobacco & coffee. Ah! the real essentials"

money management is important 2 :D

sure is, tar, and your bottom line is dependent on where you get out, not where you get in.

jon