1 tick scalping strategies

Here is a strategy I have employed in the US 10 Year T-Note. Define a decent support/resistance area on the chart and wait for the market to confirm by hitting it and rejecting. This needs to be done in a time of relatively low activity e.g. I do it before the US open or around US lunchtime. So lets say you are trying to buy 11600. Wait for the market to trade up a tick and then bid 11600 wth a 1 tick automatic stop. As soon as you get filled hit the offer. If you watch the size carefully you can try and time it so that you get a good place in the queue on the offer so that if the bid gets hit, you can get out easier. Otherwise there might be a problem if not enough size transacts at your offer once you are in. Anyway, lets say you are doing this on a 1 lot. Well, once you have done this twice in a row and taken 2 ticks out of the market you can do it on a 2 lot with no more added risk than you initially took. The very next trade you can do it on a 4 lot. Then you can do it on an 8 lot and repeat. Sometimes price will trade in a 1 tick range for a while and if you have a directional bias you can establish your huge size and then let it go and hope you have called the market to the tick.

Do you still trade this system?

Yeah, totaly. Surely the point of scalping is to take consistent high probability small winners. why does it matter if the market is thin or not . A tick is a tick whenever and is worth just as much.

Am not trying to be confrontational but am interested to know why you believe I would be missing the whole idea of scalping if trading when the market is thin.

Yeah, totaly. Surely the point of scalping is to take consistent high probability small winners. why does it matter if the market is thin or not . A tick is a tick whenever and is worth just as much.

Am not trying to be confrontational but am interested to know why you believe I would be missing the whole idea of scalping if trading when the market is thin.

OK.

Yes, you are absolutely correct, "the point of scalping is to take consistent high probability small winners". That is exactly the point, Ultra-low risk, Ultra-High probability trades. In order to do this you must be proficient at the task because the goal is to consistently achieve a better than 75% win rate with a tight stop. There are not many Ultra-low risk, Ultra-High probability trades in the average day and if anyone claims that there are then they are not doing it right.

When you are scalping for fractions of points you can't afford to have a bad fill and the time you are most likely to get a bad fill is in a thin market. What does it matter if you are only trading 1 lot you might ask? Well it might not matter much at that level. But the idea of scalping is to increase your profits by scaling up your trading unit as you become more confident and proficient at picking the Ultra-low risk, Ultra-High probability trades. When you start trading 100, 250, 500 lots, liquidity will be an issue in a thin market.

Scalping: the act of losing it all in just one bad trade that looked like a routine one when opened. But suddenly, the following news flashed at the bottom of the computer screen:

"Carrier lost"

this is for those that have been around for a while and know what I am talking about. The rest will know some day...

Ron

Scalping: the act of losing it all in just one bad trade that looked like a routine one when opened. But suddenly, the following news flashed at the bottom of the computer screen:

"Carrier lost"

this is for those that have been around for a while and know what I am talking about. The rest will know some day...

Ron

Only if your method of scalping is taking small winners with big stops or you lack discipline.

And what does losing carriers have to do with anything?

"Carrier lost"

Ron

So... use a platform that lets you put your entry and exit trades in as a bundle? When the entry trade executes, stop-loss and profit target are put into the market as one-cancels-another orders and you're done, no?

No problem micoll. At that time we also had fast service by telephone and anyway I was working near the floor in an "upstairs" office.

The problem was that nervous traders interpreted "Carrier lost" -- which normally means that the line is down -- to literary mean an aircraft carrier was lost due to a war situation. Next tick was 100 points away.

Ron

No problem micoll. At that time we also had fast service by telephone and anyway I was working near the floor in an "upstairs" office.

The problem was that nervous traders interpreted "Carrier lost" -- which normally means that the line is down -- to literary mean an aircraft carrier was lost due to a war situation. Next tick was 100 points away.

Ron

I've got a plan, and it involves scissors...

That's kinda funny... from a technical/networking person point of view anyway :D

Scalping Ticks?

I am a position trader and I have a successful strategy that is automated, I am in a trade for a day tops, I recently rolled out a scalping strategy that produced very good results on a 5 year backtest scalping 1 ticks in the e-mini, the only problem is that I am concerned about slippage I called a few friends looking for anybody scalping 1 ticks using automated strategy, no luck so I Googled "scalping ticks" in search of anyone who is scalping with limit orders or at market to see what kind of success you may of had and this site popped up, obviously you are burdened with the challenge of getting filled on limits but is it feasible?

I generally experience some slippage on the DAX regularly, but I am in for a day so a few points of slippage was ignored largely on my part and the DAX can get rather thin at times. So my biggest question is what type of slippage are any of you scalpers seeing on emini's, and is it safe to assume that slippage is less likely in more liquid markets such as TY, E7...

normally during the backtest I am assuming I will get slippage on every single trade in an effort to try and replicate worst case scenarios, but in this case it is impossible to have a winning strategy on historical tests with slippage included because It is set at 2 ticks of slippage and I am only scalping 1 tick, I also cannot predict when I will get slippage, so it leaves me wondering if the strategy can be automated or if it should be left to 100% discretion or if these results are all an illusion, which brings me to my next question, Do you get slippage pretty frequently? rarely? semi-regularly or what?

I have sat next to plenty of guys who scalped ticks all day, so the style and the issues that come along with that style I am not familiar with, these guys were also tape readers, they did not use any technical's at all and that was a very interesting style of trading with super high frequency..

Scalpers don't use an automated strategy because they're scalpers. That pretty much implies complete discretionary trading. You're not going to find an automated system that works.

In theory, you won't have slippage issues because you just work the bid or offer and if you're hit, you're hit. If not, you miss it. The problem with 1 tick scalping is
a)you have to be right a lot
b)you have to give the market a little room sometimes...ou may make the right call but someone might panic and bail out of 300 or 400 and push the market 2 ticks against you...then it comes right back.

Plus, there are plenty of times when you should not take 1 tick because you're on the right side and the trade is good for 6 ticks or more.

so sfl trader what is your setup?, When micro scalping i use a stop 1 tick away from TA pivot (normally 4 tick stop) and go for a 2 tick profit target, like you say though I have to be right around 80% of the time to make a profit and sometimes like you say the trade can be worth more........Be interested to know your style regarding stops and targets.

cheers

jason

Scalpers don't use an automated strategy because they're scalpers. you may make the right call but someone might panic and bail out of 300 or 400 and push the market 2 ticks against you...then it comes right back.

That makes sense..... Currently the setup is a breakout of Fibs on multiple time frames, the system enters market on breakout and immediately places a limit to exit 1 tick away from entry, I have a 4 tick stop. 83% wins but a sick amount of trades 5000 in 1 year, 25000 in 5 years.

Attachments

• Scalp-500.jpg
    Scalp-500.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 1,346
  • Scalp 500 report.jpg
    Scalp 500 report.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 1,090
Last edited:
hhahahhahahahahahahahahahhhahahhahahahahahaha,,,,,,,,,

This is the HOLY GRAIL for scalping.....

I have really a super scalping system for one tick profit. here it is:

01. Go for a broker who charge only 5 or 6 USD commision. (yes there is One who is charging,, My broker.... I wont tell you the name, you have to search for it)

02. Now trade 6J (Japenese Yen currency Futures)

03. My Broker's Software allows me to use Bracket order that automatically buy/sell @ Market and within micro seconds places the limit for profit.. I have predefined the limit like 0.001 this is known as 1 tick for Yen.

04. Now I look candle sticks for 5 min Chart.

05. I just take a general look for the trend. I go with the trend.

06. When ever candle goes opposite to trend ,,, there I make Buy/Sell for the current trend.

07. Within seconds I earn 5 dollars.. 20 trades per day ..... 2500 USD /month without commision.

All you have to do is to search for that broker. I wont tell the name.. But it exits....

Pray for me....

scalping... i cant think of a worse way to spend my day... i take my hat off to any of you that do this type of trading... i prefer the easy life with a trade here and trade there for nice runners and bread and butter type trades... best still i have time to enjoy life..

so sfl trader what is your setup?, When micro scalping i use a stop 1 tick away from TA pivot (normally 4 tick stop) and go for a 2 tick profit target, like you say though I have to be right around 80% of the time to make a profit and sometimes like you say the trade can be worth more........Be interested to know your style regarding stops and targets.

cheers

jason

My stop is where I know I'm wrong. This is usually never one tick away. I tend to pick spots where I know my call is probably wrong if the market goes 3 or 4 ticks against me. Don't really ever have a target. I just ride the momentum and when it slows down, I get out. In terms of setups, I look for places where I know people are going to bail. If the market is going up and I know, most likely, some shorts are going to bail out if it goes through a certain price, then I'm looking to buy there.