Yellowlion's EURUSD Trading Journal

04/18/08 13:32 GMT Mid Session

Hi All,

Who's buying all those Dollars? Quite a morning.

Hardly my best trading but I'm up 20 pips on a couple bounce trades. Exiting way too early. Very risk adverse.

Anyway gonna take a little nap and finish up the week in the US.

Will update later.

Trade Well,
Yellowlion

Last edited:
04/21/08 05:45 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Hope everyone had a splendid weekend.

Picked up 20 pips on Friday's dollar buying to close the week +32 pips.

Difficult week for me. Worked hard to stay b/e until Friday's volatility made things a bit easier.

Fear really hampered my trading last week. Trigger freeze and cutting profits short were the dominant themes. Left a lot of money on the table.

Risk acceptance is the primary focus this week. Entering every setup with stops and targets pre-set is the plan. Monitoring the trade only to adjust stops at pre-designated levels. Willing to spend some money in order to accomplish the goal.

Trendlines cracked but held on Friday with the 3 hour 200 SMA coming in for support.
Wait and watch is my position. If I had to pick a direction it would be down. Looking for little trades either way.

55 Minute

042108c.gif

8 Hour

042108a.gif

Daily

042108b.gif

All the Best,
Yellowlion

04/21/08 11:45 End of Session

Got beat up tonight folks.

Nothing worked. One broken rule cost me 27 pips.
The other losses simply didn't work. No bad.
-52 pips for the night.
See you tomorrow.

Trade well,
Yellowlion

04/22/08 05:00 GMT Session Open.

Good Morning All,

Tough night last night. Nothing worked. Final total for the night - 67 pips.

One broken rule accounted for -27.

Picked up 20 in early Asian trade this evening.

There have been quite a few of fear based decisions in my trading lately and although I haven't done any real damage, the potential certainly is there. At the very least, it has caused me to leave a heck of a lot of money on the table.

Nights like last night happen, and they are part of the job. 70 pips is a little over 1% of my base capital so my risk management is just fine (I may be dumb but I'm not always stupid).

The real issue is my daily trading is not realizing the full potential of many trades due to fear based decisions. Even my single lot 10 pip rule is cut short by fear many times. I'm not letting trades work. When I interfere with an open position in a planned trade, it usually turns out negatively, and his happens all too frequently. If I can't get it consistently right with single lots, I'm not putting on larger positions.

So I've been in the Douglas book reading, writing, journaling, and focusing on the goal --> right mind-set.

Tonight, taking entries with stops and targets pre-defined. The only adjustments to the trade once it's on will be to adjust stops in the direction of the trade.

Tonight's Charts:

I was really surprised that EURUSD was bought back to the beginning of Friday's selling. To be sure, volume was on the lighter side. Even more sure was that most of my trade levels were decimated. I'm maintaining a skeptical bias but am hardly dismissing the idea that many are itching for 1.60. Taken el grano salis: It behaved like a light volume session and just looked more like a squeeze than anything else.

3 Hour

042208a.gif

Daily

042208b.gif

Trade Well,
Yellowlion

Last edited:
04/22/08 10:16 GMT End of Session

9 trades +22 pips on the day.

Left 1.5 times that on the table. Still exiting early out of fear and watching trades complete to target. Some setups not taken.

Entries are fine and trigger freeze is subsiding. Now the fear has shifted to cutting my profits short.

There's no doubt that things are improving. I'm seeing plenty, but my actions are emotional and driven by fear, not deliberate.

Will stick to single lots until my entry and take profit skills become more relaxed and deliberate.

All The Best,
Yellowlion

By the way, how did you get 13 mins, 55 min, 3 hour and 8 hour charts on metatrader?

Wouldn't it be better if you threw away those messy ma lines and used 3 line break insted. Same effect, less messy.

2lb.jpg

Oh and good luck with your trades.

Attachments

• 3Line_Break.mq4.mq4
    2.7 KB · Views: 209
04/23/08 05:00 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Certainly if EURUSD can find it's impulsive legs 1.65 is possible. Right now it's making highs in sets of threes and the chop continues. It has broken out of the triangle but at this point decisively is a word I hesitate to use. It could go at any time. Another possibility is the development of an ascending triangle but in this position I would be hesitant to suggest it.

Now that 1.60 has been realized, I wonder how many still have a true sense of direction for this market. I prefer and am impressed by Trichet's governance, but is the EZ truly an island unto itself here? He's stuck to his guns and has been proved right before. If something were to reveal itself though, heads up (or down as the case may be.)

For me it's all about working on my discipline and technique. Both of which have been lacking lately. I'm seeing plenty of opportunities in my nightly trading, but I'm not executing well at all.

I'm pre-defining my stops and targets and setting them upon entry with my broker,
then I'm interfering with the original plan and leaving money on the table or creating losers out of winners.

Tonight I'm going to try and leave things alone. I would prefer to watch as price works through the trade to gain a better understanding of the dynamics of the setup so my work is directed internally, to the perspective that doesn't act in my own best interest.

The usual:

8 Hour

042308a.gif

Daily

042308b.gif

Trade Well,
Yellowlion

04/24/08 05:30 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Nothing working this week.

Last night I spent the first 2 hours watching 4 winning setups go by without taking any action. Put my head on the pillow and fell asleep pretty quick, thank goodness. Was tired and frustrated.

Dropped 18 pips in early Asian trade today on a .786 setup that failed. No Bad.

Took another long at 47 with a target of 67. Had a meeting to go to. Trade went to 65. Closed it when I got home at 52. +5 pips. Whatever.

Nothing working this week. No damage just a little frustrated. So unless something outstanding presents itself out of the corner of my eye, I'm going to see if I can find the top of my desk and relax with a late night movie.

8 Hour

042308a.gif

Daily

042308b.gif

Trade Well,
Yellowlion

04/25/08 06:15 Session Open

Good Morning All TGIF,

I haven't experienced a week like this in a while. Nothing, I mean nothing worked.

Sat last night out, caught up on some paperwork and watched "The Lone Wolf Takes a Chance" on Turner Classic Movie channel. No, he wasn't a trader...in the T2W sense anyway.

Slept through the US data and Dollar buying. No alarms set and it was much needed sleep.

Set a couple limit trades for early Asia but took them off as the probabilities diminished. One was a short entry at .5707...went to 5705 as the top. This is my week. Have one trade still set - if it works it works. Whatever.

Just may do it again tonight. The way the first half of the week went, I think a re-group and a fresh start Monday might be the best strategy. I'm still a bit frazzled and frustrated. Need to shake that out before I can trade effectively. Get out on the bike and get some beach air for the next couple days, review my written journal for the past couple weeks, put a plan together to tackle the most glaring issues.

How many times have I seen 1.5666 in the past 5 weeks? Seems like some kind of median level.
Does the failure of the breakout mean the top is in? At this point I really don't give a ****.

All the Best,
Yellowlion

1 Hour

042508b.gif

Daily

042508a.gif

Last edited:
04/25/08 08:45 GMT Risk acceptance.

Don't want too many weeks like this one.

Going into tonight - 58 pips. Frustrated at my inability to leave planned trades alone and at my inability to accept risk. Was going to take the night off but I got some steam up and set about fading fib levels into the decline off .5666. Faded three levels including a strong completion cluster. All levels were decimated. Working on accepting risk and knowing that it's not going to kill me, I set wide stops and targets and left them alone. End result -88 pips.

So now down - 146 single lot pips for the week. But feeling good about regaining an understanding that I'm trading well within my disaster limits and all stops were set upon entry. Not risk adverse at all tonight. "Getting it."

Completion was at .5581 - .5575 stop was at .5566. When I get stopped out at completion levels, I've learned to watch what goes on because many times price firms immediately after I'm stopped out. I was really looking for at least a pause here. Price action was suggesting it at much higher levels. Several levels produced 20 pip gains but my entries were too high to take advantage of them.

Anyway I saw the tell tale signs of completion. It has a unique character about it and if one sees it enough it's unmistakeable. Other bounces could call a reversal but this type of price behavior usually signals at least a tradeable pause to the move.

I took 10 lots at 71 with strong confidence and excellent risk acceptance. Not a revenge trade. An exercise in accepting risk. Really I was so fed up with my innergame performance this week that the risk was not really an issue. It was within my disaster limit and it was about time I got a real perspective on what this job is all about and what it requires to accept and capitalize on the terrific opportunities this market presents. Closed half at 82 and the second half at 89. +146 single lot pips.

Breakeven for the week. Many lessons learned. Some of them need to stick. Going to watch a movie.

All the Best,
Yellowlion

Last edited:
04/28/08 05:00 Sidebar and Session Open

Good Morning All,

Fading Fibonacci levels through impulsive price action.

I've been working with this particular strategy for several weeks. Going into the exploration I just faded every level and watched what happened. What I found initially was that some levels are more reliable than others for a fade trade into impulsive action while other levels typically mark a consolidation phase of the move and provide an opportunity to enter into the trend. The structure of price leading into a level has a large part in determining which levels will be effective as a fade and which ones provide an entry into the trend. My strategy has thus been modified to accommodate the typical behavior of impulsive price action as it relates to these Fibonacci levels. Here is my current focus set for this method.

1) This strategy has a good track record of finding tops and bottoms. Here's a single lot entry from 04/22 that called a bottom of a 120 pip move. This occurs with enough regularity to warrant further exploration into which levels provide tradable probabilities for using multiple lot strategies to exploit a decent portion of the move.

Good for Calling Bottoms

042208ex1.gif

Looking further into the impulse of 04/22 again the effectivenes of the Fibonacci levels can be seen by three consecutive short entries. The third one is the top of the impulse. And the correction bottomed at 73 pips.

Good for Calling Tops

042208ex2.gif

2)Some entries will be at or near the top and some will be a pullback before a fresh high. The problem here is finding appropriate Stop/ Profit target parameters and determining if the edges have a tradable probability of producing target results in the event that they are just a pullback. These pullbacks can and do provide a good countertrend trade but a complete evaluation of which profit target is most effective for these trades is still needed.

So the focus set is defined as:

1) Where in the impulse / Fibonacci structure do the best opportunities for a multiple lot countertrend strategy exist.
2) How can each edge be exploited to it's fullest potential even if it is just a short term tradeable pullback.
3) Which levels provide a tradeable probability to enter in the direction of the impulse.

Session Open:

I got another daily system sell signal on EURUSD (makes a set of three) and a corresponding one in The US Dollar Index.

This system has a much higher probability if a weekly signal occurs reasonably close to the daily signals (none has occurred yet). By themselves, the nature of the daily signals are not as reliable, as can be seen on the two dailies below.

Other than that, I'm going into the week with a Dollar bullish bias but the focus will be on the current focus set defined above and the more important correct mind-set of risk acceptance and the elimination of fear based decisions while continuing to explore the method.

Yellow's Blue Charm dollar buy signals. More effective if confirmed by a weekly signal

ybcdxeur.gif

All the Best,
Yellowlion

Last edited:
04/29/08 05:48 Session Open

Good morning All,

No trades yesterday. Let a couple setups go by in early trade, then things quieted down. Had a little disturbance in the household that put my pre-session sleep off and riled my blood so I was not feeling up to par last night. All is well tonight and I'm rested and ready.

The fact that Nymex Crude failed at 120.00 again during US trade gives some support to the dollar. With a firming dollar and oil still pushing to fresh highs, the recent equation is out of balance. How will it return to balance?

Here's a couple Elliott musings on the recent action at the top of EURUSD

8 Hour

042908a.gif

Daily

042908b.gif

All The Best,
Yellowlion

Last edited:
05/01/08 05:00 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Happy May Day for those so inclined.

April results trading the Impulse / Fibonacci fade method I've been exploring.

45 wins
28 losses
3 breakeven
+54 pips.

Going into this strategy blind and just trading every level has produced promising results.

While entries were the focus last month and continue to be refined, stop loss levels and profit targets take center stage this month as I seek to more fully exploit each trade's potential .

A better discussion on this month's focus set for this method is available in a previous post here.

et grano salis:

Here's what I'm thinking now that all the hubbub has subsided.

1) It's becoming clear that not all traders (small or large), made the trades that have gained so much attention over the past months.

2) Traders who made these bad trades are still on shaky ground.

3) People are in danger of going hungry (more so than usual).

My attention was drawn the other night to King's UK comments that I interpret to be this:

We are very concerned about the condition of the financial system and that has been our focus. However, another destabilizing event is materializing and the balancing act has shifted the focus to inflation over the near term.

The US Fed also signalled this thinking by "...expects inflation to moderate in coming quarters."

This says to me that the financial systems that made these bad trades are still on shaky ground but inflation needs to be checked here for a bit. It's a tough balancing act but a point is reached where what needs to be done is done.

Dollar bullish.

All the Best,
Yellowlion

05/02/08 05:00 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Expected dollar strength materialized over the past 24 hours.

Fib fade method performing very poorly. -193 single lot pips for the session. Biggest issues were inadequate stop/loss strategy, and not wanting to let go of the trade with half the damage. "One more chance" dropped 106 single lot pips. No real viable fades throughout the decline.

Entries were fine, one strong moving average cluster was cut like butter at the beginning of the decline. Trade failed on the release of US Data.

Unless the numbers are drastically out of line with estimates, I don't think US Payrolls will have much of an impact on things this month. I'm expecting somewhat of a non-event.

Difficult price structure with the old Elliott musings. I'll have fresh technical ideas on Monday. Dosen't look upside completed to me:

8 Hour

050208a.gif

Daily

050208b.gif

All the Best,
Yellowlion

05/02/08 05:00 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Expected dollar strength materialized over the past 24 hours.

Fib fade method performing very poorly. -193 single lot pips for the session. Biggest issues were inadequate stop/loss strategy, and not wanting to let go of the trade with half the damage. "One more chance" dropped 106 single lot pips. No real viable fades throughout the decline.

Entries were fine, one strong moving average cluster was cut like butter at the beginning of the decline. Trade failed on the release of US Data.

Unless the numbers are drastically out of line with estimates, I don't think US Payrolls will have much of an impact on things this month. I'm expecting somewhat of a non-event.

Difficult price structure with the old Elliott musings. I'll have fresh technical ideas on Monday. Dosen't look upside completed to me:

8 Hour

050208a.gif

Daily

050208b.gif

All the Best,
Yellowlion

05/05/08 05:15 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Happy Cinco De Mayo for those so inclined.

Took a good spanking last week trading the impulse/ Fib method. The size of the loss was a result of poor stop/loss strategy and an unwillingness to let go of the trade.

The method's working poorly lately. No bad there. The strategy using the method needs to continue to be built. As before the primary method focus is on stops and targets with secondary emphasis on entries into or counter trend as determined by the level being traded.

For psychology focus, staying risk acceptant is my most important (and daunting) task.

Looking at a couple longer period charts, it appears that we could be in a larger consolidative pattern here; possibly a head and shoulders developing. This is loosely formulated so I continue to look for more clues as things develop. The top does not look complete to me.

On the daily, there is the potential for a Head and Shoulders pattern to develop.

Daily

050508a.gif

The 8 hour shows the top a little closer with no real impulsive structure visible. One might see five corrective waves up from iv? tracing out an ending diagonal.

8 Hour

050508b.gif

On the hourly, there is an impulse down off the top - which would make sense out of the diagonal - but it's not well proportioned and price action leading into proportion is corrective in nature.

1 Hour

050508c.gif

So From this evidence, I don't believe the top is completed yet and the Euro may gain some traction to the upside in the near term.

All The Best,
Yellowlion

05/06/08 05:45 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

In a drawdown period here. Last night saw -28 pips in three trades. No real mistakes for any of the trades, they just didn't work. No Fib method trades, just a few discretionary trades based on price and volume.

I'm keeping with my analysis from last night. We're about 60 pips higher from my previous post and EURUSD is at a bit of a resistance here around 1.5535.

Just trading small and riding out this drawdown stretch.

All the Best,
Yellowlion

05/07/08 05:30 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Crude Oil at the .272 retracement extension. As I was riding into work this morning I thought, "This could call a top." Above 123.50 negates this idea.

I'm in a little bit of a drawdown period with my EURUSD trading. 1 for 3 last night -12 pips. - 36 on the week so far. It started with the larger than normal loss on the 1st.

Good execution of trades this week, just not winning right now. Inner game much better than in the recent past. Confident and relaxed, trading small and waiting for setups. Not chasing anything. Good stop loss levels, profit targets, and, risk acceptance.

The inability of the dollar or the equities market to confirm fresh highs in oil is a good tell and is the primary reason why I am watching the .272 rex closely.

Analysis of Monday remains the same with conviction taken down a half a notch.

All The Best,
Yellowlion

05/08/08 06:00 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Oil continues higher negating my idea from last post settling at at 123.53. Watch it today, I have a tendency of stopping out at tops and bottoms.

The oil/dollar relationship appears to have ended. They certainly are going thier separate ways.

My EURUSD account turned positive for the week during today's surprisingly active Asian session. For the month it's still solidly in negative territory - 5%.

The innergame is better. My self-sabotage demon possibly was satiated with a 6.57% drawdown. If this is the case, I'm seeing improvement in keeping that in check. I won't speak too soon.

Not calling any direction here but a further bounce is possible from .5282

3 Hour

050808a.gif

Daily

050808b.gif

All The Best,
Yellowlion

05/09/08 05:15 GMT Session Open

Good Morning All,

Hope everyone is having a good week and Happy Friday.

Not much reaction to the ECB meeting. I'm looking for some sort of resistance around 1.5450 or so completing the bounce off .5282 mentioned last night.

Picked up 10 off .5395. My innergame has firmed but a lot of work remains.
I'm working out of the Douglas book nightly and keeping a detailed written journal.

I've pulled back from posting so frequently during the session because it distracts my focus. I'll be share my journal in a post or two over the weekends for those interested.

All the Best,
Yellowlion

Last edited: