XP SP2

OK I'm sold. I'll not plan on upgrading. Unless I need a major re-fit or significant upgrade restrictions start to bite.

I was going to say that traders generally are a reasonably technically-oriented group and to take a line of 'If it ain't broke don't fix it' might be considered unusual - BUT - it's probably precisely because we've 'benefited' from being on the front line of accelerating technological advances that we are so wary..

Hi

I've just installed XP home sp2. I've read through the thread.

Before the install I didn't close my AVG or ZA firewall, or remove (?) spybot.

My dial-up internet connection only connects now at 33.6 kbps, whereas it previously connected at 50.6kbps.

I previously had a similar problem after installing the Cxt - SoftV92 SmartSpeakerphone Modem software update. I then removed this update and my connection speed increased to its normal rate.

However, this current problem cannot be caused by Cxt... because a windows update scan shows that I do not have this optional hardware update installed.

Has anyone else faced a similar problem? if so, how (if at all) did you fix it?

Many thanks
:)
jtrader.

Well, I've put me money where me mouth is :cheesy: I couldn't resist it any longer. I've installed SP2 and I've just run a PcPitstop test. Everything seems OK. My internet speed is normal.
Needed a good defrag. Suggest you run a Pit test to see if there's anything obvious amiss.

Hi

pcpitstop did highlight a few minor problems.

Restoring my pc to before sp2 install restored my 50.6 kbps connection speed. I then installed the Cxt - SoftV92 SmartSpeakerphone Modem software update. This cut the connection back to 33.6 kbps, and it also made the dial up process silent. I then reversed the Cxt - SoftV92 SmartSpeakerphone Modem software update to get back to 50.6 kbps.

I will leave sp2 alone, and I will again avoid Cxt - SoftV92 SmartSpeakerphone Modem software update.

Cheers

jtrader.

I have never run pit stop before. I have just done it and it has come up with a load of invalid entries. Being computer illiterate other than being able to do what I need to do, is it really safe to delete these? It says that you can select those you want deleted but they don't mean anything to me. I am terrified of messing up my computer.
I would be grateful for advice.
Thanks.

Jean

Arf! Sods Law.

One of my desktops went down with a really nasty bump this morning.

Re-installing XP (and reformatting drives!!!) and will go the extra mile and head off down the SP2 route.

Do you think that sometimes the Universe has a bit of a laugh with us?

JeanM said:
I have never run pit stop before. I have just done it and it has come up with a load of invalid entries. Being computer illiterate other than being able to do what I need to do, is it really safe to delete these? It says that you can select those you want deleted but they don't mean anything to me. I am terrified of messing up my computer.
I would be grateful for advice.
Thanks.

Jean
Jean, can't help I'm afraid as each time I've run pit stop, it's taken an age and they just brought me back to the home page - with no results...

jeanM

before you consider doing anything to your PC that may cause pther issues. I think it is a good idea to create a restore point for your system, enabling you to be able to restore your system to how it was.

Start - Help and support - Undo changes to your computer with system restore - create a restore point.

With regard to your problem - I cannot advise you what to do.

Cheers

jtrader.

Do you think that sometimes the Universe has a bit of a laugh with us?

Hi TheBramble

"If something can go wrong it usually will." I like to operate by keeping this basic premise in mind. That way when things go right - it is a bonus :LOL:

jtrader.

I'm in the same position as JeanM - computer illiterate apart from being able to do what I need to do, and terrified of serious problems. It's very bad to be so dependent on things you can't understand at all - reminds me of my first car in my late teens, which was always breaking down and I never had any idea what to do with it, and didn't even learn much more as I became increasingly dependent on it! :(

Thanks for the replies. I haven't installed SP2 either. Also going with "if it isn't broken why try to fix it". I think I'll consult the people I bought the computer from first. I am guilty of doing no mantainance on it at all I'm afraid, so I suppose it is bound to have all sorts of files that are no longer needed. I am always frightened of messing up my software.

Jean

Have WinXp running on my laptop, recently got BT Broadband Basic at home, connects fine, but unable to open any websites, IE Explorer keeps on saying unable to open / connect to search page. Have installed SP2 in the hope of fixing this, to no avail, same problem.

Using a mac power book on the same connection, fine, no problem with broadband, alas, must be WinXP.

Anybody got any ideas?

You could try c w shredder from softpedia. It will check your browser for any nasties

Oatman,
Firstly I know I speak for many when I say that your continued efforts in this techie arena are greatly appreciated. Over the months you have helped me to become the geek that I now am with regard to computer speak! :LOL:
My SP2 problem has exasperated me over the last few weeks with unusable programs, lost data, repair installs (too many to mention), SP2 installs and un-installs (similar numbers), finally a complete re-build with re-formatting of drives and re-partitioning. This was followed by another uninstall due to continued problems. I hasten to add that ALL of this was undertaken with telephone hand holding from microsoft!
I ran all the PCPitstop things and apparently my machine should be capable of handling most things!
I continue to have the same two problems:
1. The .net framework will NOT install on my m/c due to a string of "internal errors" which pop up on install. As a result I am unable to install ninjatrader which irritates me greatly.
2. Microphone will not work.
If you have any suggestions they would be greatfully received. :)
Cheers
Q

First of all, I'm no expert. I was in the unfortunate position of letting an "expert" build my second machine. It kept crashing. He tried various things, changed the power supply amongst them. All to no avail. The thing would crash while I was in positions. Panicking on the phone to my broker just to get square or place a stop. So, I kept trawling the internet for answers. Pitstop is where I received the best ongoing support. A friend (a real expert) finally suggested a memory problem. I added more RAM, no change. I started swapping RAM slots. There it was, a bad stick of RAM from the original build! That took about 18 months to discover. That's how I learned anything I know now.
I cannot recommend PcPitstop highly enough. The people there are real experts in every field.
Plese go to Pitstop with your problems. They love to help. Don't be shy. There are newbies there every day. Every sort of problem. Use it as your second home. I'm over there all the time. They'll ask you to run anti spyware/virus scans and then post a test. This is the best way to start.
As for SP2, I seem to be running OK(touch wood). I shutdown all programmes antivirus and firewall, Spybot, Winpatrol, SpywareGuard, the lot. Then give it time, don't try and rush anything.
Quercus, go to Pitstop, post your test and tell them your problem.
http://www.pcpitstop.com/
http://www.pcpitstop.com/techexpress/howto1.asp
http://pcpitstop.ibforums.com/index.php?
Post in User to User and if they think your problem is related to something else they'll move it.
See you over there ;)

Cheers Oatie, I'll get on to it and open my "heart" to them. :LOL:
See you there!
Q

I just installed SP2 from cd on my older laptop, and agree with Oatman...close all open progs incl firewall and AV. I would even suggest all open programs are disabled from the start/run/msconfig/start up menu and u reboot b4 installing, as many times there are progs running in the background that may not appear on ur task bar. I installed from cd (took only 5 days from order to receive) bcoz of download time, however I also wasn't keen on being online downloading it with my AV and Firewall disabled!

After install, I disabled the windows firewall and re-enabled my Zone Alarm pro, and chose the option to monitor my own AV (as it kept telling me AVG was out of date when I knew it wasnt). Thereafter, I disabled the SP2 pop-up blocker (happy with the ZA one) and I had no problems whatsoever, however would stress that there is not a lot connected to that machine, and I dont use Outlook Express on it! Having disabled those features, u may well ask..why bother installing it...but I believe that there is much much more to SP2 than those features, so happy to have it. For those with ZA, I did notice that SP2 seemed to reset all my ZA permissions etc to red x's , but not a huge job to configure again as u go along. Whether I will still be saying all this when I eventually get around to SP2'ing this machine remains to be seen ;)

I also echo oatman on pitstop......a superb site :)

p.s. remember to go back to msconfig and re-enable the progs u want/need on start up!

If anyone's still interested, my sister just got this from a Microsoft technical support person (I'm pasting it in, exactly as she did in her email to me ...) ...

> "We are aware that SP2 for Windows XP is causing problems for some users.
> Our technical staff is currently working on a solution to the
> problems that are occurring and we will let you know as soon as the issues
> have been resolved. In the meantime, you may wish to consider uninstalling
> SP2."

Roberto said:
> Our technical staff is currently working on a solution to the
> problems...
I'm no grammarian, but if MS's 'technical staff' consisted of more than one person, shouldn't it be "Our technical staff are currently working on a solution..."?

Hmmm....