WorldSpreads

MarvinS - Scalping is a term used to define day traders who do not swing trade the markets but trade on an intra day basis in some cases for a quick profit. We are not stopping scalpers by reffering them all we are doing is giving them the REAL market price.

Scalping should NOT refer to ANYONE who is trading on an intraday basis.
I trade on an intrday basis, typically doing 3-4 round turns per day. I classify myself as an intraday momentum trader. I may have a trade open for 4+ hours. Surely WS cannot discriminate against a trade making a handful of intraday round turns per day?

A scalper is someone who is typically doing lots of round turns per day, looking to make very small points profits, but with big volume, typically holding for very short periods of time - typically minutes.

Cheers.

I think most spread betting clients fit into the category of intra day momentum traders. The spreads tend to be far too wide for scalpers. I hope we do not discriminate against any trader!

I speak to alot of different traders and i am interested in finding out what you want to trade? What makes one a scalper/momentum trader/swing trader? Does one learn to become a day trader? I am interested in finding this out so i can help facilitate your trading needs.

Thanks for correcting me Jtrader...

Hi Marvin

For me, i trade off 3-4 minute charts, and maybe make 3-5 trades per day.

This is just an effective style/method of trading that I have evolved into/stumbled across and am happy with, and expect it to continue to work for the remainder of my trading career, so I'm sticking with it!

Fewer trades per day = paying the spread fewer times per day = more profit.

Some scalpers may trade off 1-2 minute or 1-20 tick charts, and be happy to complete 20 round turns per day.

I would much rather trade EUR/USD with a 1-pip spread than my current 3-pip spread (as this would equate to 30-50 pips extra proofit per 5 day trading week!)

However, my trading style and performance ensures that I am profitable enough with a 3 pip spread.

Therefore my main priority/ambition is to trade with a spreadbet broker that fills trades automatically, without human dealer intervention, delays and requotes.
Spreads narrower than 3-pip on EUR/USD is a bonus that i obviously welcome. But i would be happier with a 3 pip spread and these conditions met, than a supposed 1 or 2 pip spread, without these conditions being met.

Cheers
jtrader.

MarvinS said:
I think most spread betting clients fit into the category of intra day momentum traders. The spreads tend to be far too wide for scalpers. I hope we do not discriminate against any trader!

I speak to alot of different traders and i am interested in finding out what you want to trade? What makes one a scalper/momentum trader/swing trader? Does one learn to become a day trader? I am interested in finding this out so i can help facilitate your trading needs.

Thanks for correcting me Jtrader...

MarvinS said:
Swissy - every point you have made seems very astute!
1pt spread+ real market price+ fast execution+ good customer service - Why not! SB been lacking this....

Why do you think that I'm astute? You are discriminating against me with your words. I'm not astute at all, I'm prudent. Let's make a real trading example, it's 3 pm and the Dow Jones is at 11.000, your quote shows 11.000 - 11.001. I think that the market will go down and I decide to short it at 11.000 but after 1 second it gaps up to 11.010, I want to close my position because I was wrong and I don't want to loose more but your system is still quoting 11.000 - 11.001, should I wait till the market goes higher or that your system gives me a precise quote before I can close my position? You want to find out what our trading needs are, that's very good. I want precision and I'm not willing to wait for a quote for more then 1 second when the market goes against me, the market doesn't fall asleep and goes up and down every second. If I go long at 3.00 pm and want to close my position at the 3.01 pm, that's my business, your business is to provide me a quote that has a spread of 1 point on top of the real market price. It's all very simple to understand, can WS offer us this service or do we have to wait a number of seconds before a new quote is delivered to us by your system? I'm not joking and would appreciate a straightforward answer. If there is a waiting time before one can close a trade, please indicate the precise number of seconds. If WS wants to put a time limit before one can close a trade, than tell precisely how long we have to wait. I'm a peaceful man and I appreciate that you are here today to answer our questions. Thank you.

swissgold said:
Why do you think that I'm astute? You are discriminating against me with your words. I'm not astute at all, I'm prudent. Let's make a real trading example, it's 3 pm and the Dow Jones is at 11.000, your quote shows 11.000 - 11.001. I think that the market will go down and I decide to short it at 11.000 but after 1 second it gaps up to 11.010, I want to close my position because I was wrong and I don't want to loose more but your system is still quoting 11.000 - 11.001, should I wait till the market goes higher or that your system gives me a precise quote before I can close my position? You want to find out what our trading needs are, that's very good. I want precision and I'm not willing to wait for a quote for more then 1 second when the market goes against me, the market doesn't fall asleep and goes up and down every second. If I go long at 3.00 pm and want to close my position at the 3.01 pm, that's my business, your business is to provide me a quote that has a spread of 1 point on top of the real market price. It's all very simple to understand, can WS offer us this service or do we have to wait a number of seconds before a new quote is delivered to us by your system? I'm not joking and would appreciate a straightforward answer. If there is a waiting time before one can close a trade, please indicate the precise number of seconds. If WS wants to put a time limit before one can close a trade, than tell precisely how long we have to wait. I'm a peaceful man and I appreciate that you are here today to answer our questions. Thank you.
ex post, these are the points that i was trying to bring up when i want it i want it now,(price) i trade with fb myself happy with it apart from dow spread, this would definitely get my business if
instant betting like fb.

But is it not the case that every trader wants the lowest spreads the fastest execution and the best service? I have heard that FB are good but lack some qualities. For example do traders want to deposit monies abroad with a non regulated company? Do traders want to choose their stakes? Do traders want to have the lower margins? Credit on accounts? These points may not all apply to you but we are trying to cover as many bases as possible and Swissy your point is a key aspect of trading that we must cover. I have traded with Saxobank that has DMA and even that can take a few seconds to confirm trades...

Swissy we are not pricing the Dow as 1 point on top of the market price we are 1 pip round trip...

MarvinS said:
But is it not the case that every trader wants the lowest spreads the fastest execution and the best service? I have heard that FB are good but lack some qualities. For example do traders want to deposit monies abroad with a non regulated company? Do traders want to choose their stakes? Do traders want to have the lower margins? Credit on accounts? These points may not all apply to you but we are trying to cover as many bases as possible and Swissy your point is a key aspect of trading that we must cover. I have traded with Saxobank that has DMA and even that can take a few seconds to confirm trades...
i agree marvin with your points on fb. these are things that i looked at. margins are not a problem for me. as they are set by the usa ,its part of trading. i normally trade 3-4 lots mini dow
($15-20) and 2 lots footsie. (£20) per point, this is why i feel the spread is important. but it would be no good to me if markets went against me, after 20 point hit not to be able to close.

MarvinS said:
Swissy we are not pricing the Dow as 1 point on top of the market price we are 1 pip round trip...

How do you work that out? The market spread on the dow is 1 point, if the ask is 11.001 and the bid 11.000, where do you put your spread?

swissgold said:
How do you work that out? The market spread on the dow is 1 point, if the ask is 11.001 and the bid 11.000, where do you put your spread?
that is the spread on there screens during market hours. thats why i am keen to join, but carnt understand how they can make money on dow.

dcarrigan said:
that is the spread on there screens during market hours. thats why i am keen to join, but carnt understand how they can make money on dow.
anyone know the spread on dow when traded as a cfd?,

MarvinS said:

An inside view into Futuresbetting.com

Interview with Mike Larkins Managing Director of Futuresbetting.com Ltd conducted by Andy, co-editor – Financial-Spread-Betting.com.

Financial-Spread-Betting: First and foremost I want to thank you for being patient with me and taking the time to do this interview for our Financial-Spread-Betting.com readers. How's everything on your end?

Mike: We are very happy with our business and greatly enthused by the positive feed back from our customers, who recognize that we are offering something new to the market place.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Before we get to your service, can you give us a quick run down on how you first got involved in this industry and for how long? What role do you play with Futuresbetting.com Please introduce yourself and your company to our readers and tell us a little about the founders’ background.

Mike: I am the Managing Director and co-founder with Keith Langan of FuturesBetting.com Ltd. Keith and I were independent traders on the LIFFE floor since 1985 before relocating to Gibraltar in 2000, whence we became involved in remote electronic trading. So we have considerable experience not only from the trading side, but also from the provision and management of remote connectivity systems.

Although the idea behind FuturesBetting.com was thought of in 2002, it took over 2 years of negotiations to obtain a Gibraltar gaming license, and a further year to be authorized as a Category 1 firm by our regulator, the Financial Services Commission (FSC).

Financial-Spread-Betting: Ok to start, so when did FuturesBetting.com open its doors to business?

Mike: We opened for business in March 05.

Financial-Spread-Betting: It is my understanding that FuturesBetting.com is located in Gibraltar. Why did you choose Gibraltar as a base jurisdiction?

Mike: Well we were already doing business in Gibraltar, so from that perspective it chose itself! More seriously though Gibraltar has an established, well administered and above all globally recognized and trusted gaming industry. We are one of only 15 companies (but the only spread betting company) to be awarded a gaming license, and in the good company of Party Gaming, 888 Holdings, Victor Chandler, amongst others!

Financial-Spread-Betting: Is FuturesBetting.com regulated by a Regulatory Body (it is our understanding that you are regulated by the Gibraltar Financial Services Commission?)? Are there any general safeguards for clients - protected accounts for clients' money or segregated accounts…etc?

Mike: Yes, we are regulated by the Financial Services Commission, who are of comparable status to other EU regulators under European law.

Furthermore an inter-Governmental agreement between the UK and Gibraltar reached just before Christmas will allow for FuturesBetting.com and other Gibraltar based financial services companies to have pass porting rights into the UK.

Our clients’ funds are held in client segregated accounts (that is ring fenced from other clients’ accounts) at the head office branch of Barclays Bank plc in London.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Does the Financial Services Commission regulation apply to foreign nationals? i.e. if you are a UK citizen do you get the protection in Gibraltar? Are profits still tax-free for UK residents using FuturesBetting.com to spread bet?

Mike: Yes; in fact all EU citizens are afforded protection under the European regulatory umbrella of which the FSC is part. Once the pass porting procedure is completed UK based clients will have direct recourse to their own regulator, the FSA.

The location of FuturesBetting.com does not affect the tax position of a UK resident. Betting with us in this respect is no different to betting with any other UK based spread betting company.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What dealing platform do you use? What would you say really stands out about it?

Mike: Rather than have a generic “one size fits all” platform, we license two, one for Futures and the other for Equities. Each has attributes that make it the best for the specific job in question.

Our futures platform has been accredited Tier 1 by the Exchanges on which we do business, and offers professional standard robustness and connectivity speeds. With FuturesBetting.com if you click to bet you will receive a fill within approximately 200 milliseconds!

As for Equities not only is the platform quick and robust, but because transactions are not dealer vetted the trading interface generates immediate price confirmation. In fact the speed of execution can be compared to many institutional systems.

Financial-Spread-Betting: How is your offering different from the traditional ‘spread betting products’ being offered by your counterparts in the UK?

Mike: Well consider this: In 2001 UK gaming companies agreed to be taxed on a Gross Profits Tax system, which for financial spread bets is 3% of their winnings. All spread bets are offered with reference to an underlying security, so the bookmaker or spread betting firm has two options, to hedge or to run a book. If the bookmaker chooses to run a book, it is backing itself over the client, and clearly aims to win rather than lose the bet. On the other hand if the bookie/spread betting firm chooses to hedge, then under current legislation, any arising hedging gains are not off-settable against the original bet and are therefore subject to corporation tax.

No doubt your readers will make their own minds up, but it’s difficult not to come to the conclusion that the model is built around the customer losing.

FuturesBetting.com however, pays a license fee based on turnover, but where the hedge is off-settable. Our unique offering is we make no reference as to whether the client is long or short, that our spreads are fixed around the underlying security (whatever the market conditions) and also that in order to sustain our connectivity speeds we must automatically hedge every transaction. So you can see from our set-up that clearly we want the client to win!

Financial-Spread-Betting: It is said that your offering is very akin to futures trading. Could you walk us through your offering?

Mike: You’re right, it is. We show our clients the underlying market as seen by all the other market participants. Clients can view the market depth, price and size action of the various players. Given the speed at which we automatically hedge, betting with us has the same feel and effect as if the client was trading direct market access (DMA).

Furthermore in March we will be offering clients a choice of 3rd party front-ends that interface via API with our back-end for both Futures and Equities. Around this time a “Black Box” technology for futures will also be available.

Financial-Spread-Betting: How do I open an account to spread bet with FuturesBetting.com?

Mike: Application forms may be downloaded from our website www.futuresbetting.com . However we can only accept individuals who possess the experience, knowledge and expertise to make their own investment decisions and properly assess the risks they incur. We are not able to accept individuals who are classified as "ordinary customers" by our regulator, the Financial Services Commission. In FSA parlance our clients must be of “intermediate” status.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you quote all UK companies or only those within a substantial market cap? What kind of notional risk can one expect on a typical market? Can one bet outside market hours?

Mike: We quote FTSE 350, AIM 50, S&P 100, Nasdaq 100, Dow 30, Dax 30, Mib 30, Cac 40, and Aex 30. We don’t do “after hours” because we cannot provide fixed spreads if the underlying market is closed.

In respect of deposit our minimum is 15%. As a company we operate a strict risk policy; we do not believe in unrealistic gearing and never offer credit. From my experience as an independent trader I firmly believe that responsible margining is in the trader’s best interest.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Is telephone dealing available? Are there any additional fees for using this service?

Mike: Yes we have a dealer desk for telephone bets, but whilst we make no minimum charge for any bet made with us, telephone bets are subject to a fee of £0.50 per lot for futures, and for equities £20 per bargain.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Something which day traders and those doing more frequent spread deals are definitely going to like are your sliding scales of spread widths depending on the volume traded. Could you tell us how this works in practice?

Mike: Quite simply we have 7 different volume bands for futures, and 6 for equities. We discuss with a client the volume of bets they are likely to make and place them in the appropriate band. We provide the platform and a number of additional services free of charge, so in order to recoup our costs, the smaller volumes have to pay a wider spread than the high volume players. Our range on FTSE futures is a spread of 0.4/tick (the equivalent of £4.00 per lot), decreasing to 0.045/tick (£0.45 per lot). UK equity stocks range from 15 basis points down to 4 basis points.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you accept international clients? Do you accept deposits by BACS? Which other payment methods do you accept?

Mike: Yes we do and deposits are accepted by BACS, CHAPS or by cheque.

Financial-Spread-Betting: It is our understanding that the minimum deposits required to open an account is £5000. Isn’t this a little big an amount to send as a first deposit? What are Mini Accounts?

Mike: £5000 is actually the minimum deposit for a mini account, which for an experienced trader is not an unreasonable amount. We do not accept “retail” accounts.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Is there a maximum deposit? How do I get money out?

Mike: No there is no maximum. Clients are free to withdraw funds on our receipt of their faxed or emailed instruction.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What are the minimum/maximum stakes?

Mike: In futures our minimum is a bet equivalent in value to the tick size of one lot, and for equities the minimum is 100 shares or £1 per point. The maximum is determined by the clients account balance.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Is interest paid on the balance of the accounts? If yes, what are the rates? Are dividends paid out?

Mike: No, we do not pay interest on cash balances, but yes we do pay an adjustment in lieu of dividend. For UK stocks we pay 90%, for US and European 85%. Of course short positions are charged at 100%, which is the norm.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you offer credit facilities? Can accounts be overdrawn?

Mike: No, FuturesBetting.com does not offer credit and therefore accounts cannot be overdrawn.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you offer a demo account facility?

Mike: Yes we have simulators for both futures and equities, which replicate live trading without the bets getting matched.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Please detail the kind of stops and market orders being offered by FuturesBetting.com

Mike: We offer a full range of orders including Limit, Stop, Stop Limit, Market On Close, Market On Open, One Cancels Other, and Good ‘Till Canceled. Further details can found on our website www.futuresbetting.com

Financial-Spread-Betting: To whom do you think will spread betting on FuturesBetting.com appeal most?

Mike: Experienced traders who require what we provide: Tax free spread betting with the price and connectivity of direct market access, together with good information flows which we uniquely provide through our real time squawk facility.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What has been the clients' reaction?

Mike: Comments like “a level playfield”, “breath of fresh air”, and “much better than normal spread betting” probably answers the question.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Who is predominantly making up your customer base at this time?

Mike: Our customer base is predominately made up of UK, Republic of Ireland, and European traders, all of whom are market experienced individuals betting for their own account.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Spread betting companies are sometimes criticized for playing the markets themselves against clients but it is our understanding that FuturesBetting.com is acting as a pure intermediary and hedges all positions. Could you give us some insight about how you are able to hedge your exposure with such short term “target” time frames?

Mike: Personally I think the criticism is entirely valid. Making variable spreads or re-quotes whilst potentially knowing a clients position cannot be right. Worse still the client is more often than not giving up too much of an edge on the spread to stand a chance of making money. No wonder some 90% of spread bettors lose money. FuturesBetting.com on the other hand is completely transparent. Every price we make can be cross referenced to the underlying. If you are stopped you can independently verify from the exchange website that the future traded at that particular level.

How do we do it? Let’s just say very, very quickly!

Financial-Spread-Betting: Getting beyond the up-front process, how do your people actually execute? Do you have principles of execution?

Mike: We are the principal to every bet. Clients are either buying from or selling to FuturesBetting.com

Financial-Spread-Betting: What kind of spreads can one expect to find on FuturesBetting.com? How do they compare, in your opinion to other perhaps more conventional spread betting firms?

Mike: We work slightly differently in that our spreads are fixed around the underlying bid/offer. This fixed value depends on the volume of bets a client happens to be making.

As rule of thumb our widest spread would generally beat a conventional spread betting firms’ best spread, but thereafter as a client’s volume increases our spreads are priced to compete with the direct access brokers for futures and CFD providers for equities.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Please explain how you handle re-quotes and order confirmation times. And fast markets?

Mike: We don’t do re-quotes full stop. As for fast markets, it’s business as usual. We are open electronically and on the phone as long as the underlying market itself is open. The same can’t be said for some of the other companies if the Brent Crude Oil contract is anything to go by.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Which kind of trader is your platform most suitable? Can it cater for those looking into short-term trading or scalping or is it more suitable for those wishing to take longer time views (weeks or even a few months)?

Mike: Our platforms cater for every style of trading, from scalping to long term. Moreover if a client doesn’t like the presentation of our platform, they can always elect to use one of our 3rd party compliant front–ends instead.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are there any other fees which our readers need to be aware of besides the spread? Do you charge a quarterly trading account fee or an account inactivity fee. Are there any charges for telegraphic transfers and late payments…etc?

Mike: We don’t have any account fees or inactivity fees, but we do charge for transfers.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What do you think are the other main advantages of spread betting besides the most obvious of it being tax-free and the leverage that it allows? And how big a deal is the tax-free status, given that rival trading products let you offset losses against gains?

Mike: For our clients any tax saving is a big deal! No off-set is the quid pro quo because everyone knows there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you provide an advisory service? Please detail your squawk service (I guess it has nothing to do with screaming :p) Is your charting software developed in-house? Any other services that you provide?

Mike: We are authorized by our regulator to provide advisory services and will be launching this later in the year. The squawk is a market commentary and real time news and data release service which is of particular value to scalpers too busy trading to read news stories. We do have in house charting, but a lot of our clients prefer to separately subscribe to commercial packages.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What services are you offering that others aren't? Why should clients choose FuturesBetting.com as their spread betting firm of choice?

Mike: In a nut shell we are offering an impartial and transparent level playing field. Trading is hard enough as it is without having the odds stacked against you.

Financial-Spread-Betting: How are you related to TwoWayFutures? Is TwoWayFutures a business partner of FuturesBetting?

Mike: TwoWayFutures are FSA regulated and act in the capacity of an Introducing Broker to us.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you trade on a personal basis? Have you made any mistakes along the way that you have learned from? If so, would you describe them?

Mike: Not anymore. No one in our organization is permitted to trade PA, because it is incompatible with knowing client positions.

What’s the worst (recurring) mistake I’ve ever made….where to begin! Over trading I’d say.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are there traders who make a living through trading at www.futuresbetting.com What is the trading style and methods that these traders use for winning consistently?

Mike: Certainly we have clients who do very well for themselves, but whether it’s their living and how they do it is not for me to say.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What do you think are the most important characteristics of the professional spread better?

Mike: Discipline.

Financial-Spread-Betting: As of now, what trends do you see in the markets people choose to trade? Are there any sectors, contracts, currencies, indices, particular markets where your clients are clearly more or less successful? Do you think this will change over time?

Mike: Most clients tend to specialize in one or two contracts on the futures, and stick with them. Likewise the stocks, clients have their particular favorites. So I wouldn’t say there is any identifiable trend there, and I don’t see things changing because most believe in sticking to the one they know.

Financial-Spread-Betting: There are many sayings in the markets; do you have a favorite one?

Mike: The first cut is the cheapest

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you operate any other sites besides www.futuresbetting.com

Mike: No.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you organize any training seminars or meetings which our readers could attend?

Mike: No we don’t get involved in training or seminars because we can only accept as clients individuals who already have experience in financial markets.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What do you see going forward?

Mike: We believe the future of spread betting is our model augmented by giving clients a choice of execution platform. From a company perspective the future is in the back-end not the front. Whilst we will always offer our own execution platform, this will be complimented by a choice of independent software providers (ISV’s) that will interface with our back-end.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you have any special sign-up trade offers for our readers who decide to give Futures Betting a try?

Mike: We offer an extremely competitive all round package which is generally accepted to be unique. We are completely transparent when it comes to pricing the spreads for any given volume (everything is published on our website www.futuresbetting.com) so everyone knows where they stand.

That said we always make allowances for holidays and such like if volumes fall below the agreed floor of the band in question.

Basically we just try and give everyone a fair deal.

I noticed this was a thread about WorldSpreads.com - A little information about us:

Interview with Marvin Sones, Senior sales dealer at WorldSpreads Group Limited E-mail us for questions or to suggest an interview at [email protected]

Financial-Spread-Betting: First and foremost I want to thank you for being patient with me and taking the time to do this interview for our Financial-Spread-Betting.com readers. How's everything on your end?

Marvin: Things are fine and I am very optimistic especially considering the markets growth rate over the past few years. I started in the spread betting market in 2000 and from day one the markets just went one way, lower. It was rather depressing to see a lot of clients that were taken out of the markets towards the end of 2001, however things have changed quite significantly.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Before we get to your service, can you give us a quick run down on how you first got involved in this industry and for how long? Please introduce yourself and your company to our readers and tell us a little about the founders’ background and the company’s history.

Marvin: I have been a stock trader with a traditional stockbroker since 1995, and I was consistently making money on some of the blue chip stocks. For 5 years it was easy to go long stocks and close out a week later for a profit. I kept all my contracts and certificates and in 5 years of trading up until 2000 I had traded about two thousand times, in about 500 different stocks. I worked out the costs had come to £60,000 in this period. I started in the spread betting industry in 2000 with Financial Spreads, based in Cannon street and a fairly smallish company to start with. As soon as I started in the spread betting industry my stock trading worsened. I had been sucked into some of the major flops like Marconi, Telewest and Energis. My trading downfall was not because I joined a spread betting company but because one got greedy. That is why I am still working and not sitting on a boat in Barbados.

Our COO is Kevin Taylor

Kevin has been involved at the very top of the spreads industry for 17 years, first between 1988-92 as Senior Manager at the AFBD/SFA (now FSA) responsible inter alia for its regulation, before becoming Head of Operations at spreads firm City Index Ltd in 1993, and establishing City Index Sports in Australia in 1996. In 1998 he left to found and be Managing Director of Financial Spreads Ltd, the first new financial spread betting company for 15 years, and which was an instant success. It was bought by IFX plc in 2002 where he became Chief Operating Officer and expanded the Finspreads.com operation into the European mainland. He resigned in 2004 to co-found the WorldSpreads.com brand and establish its London operation.

Chairman is Lindsay McNeile

With a background in investment advice specialising in property and oil industry services, in 1991 he was a co-founder of Sporting Index. Ten years as Managing Director during which the Group became the largest sports spread betting company in the UK, he moved on to become MD of Global Currencies Limited, a City of London based company specialising in trading exotic currencies in emerging markets, whilst joining the WorldSpreads.com Group as a non-executive director. In 2004 he became full-time Chairman of WorldSpreads.com London. Holding other senior management positions ranging from Non-Executive Chairman to Director in four other companies he was educated at Eton, the University of Pennsylvania and the Sorbonne.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Ok to start, when did www.worldspreads.com first open for business? How big is World Spreads?

Marvin: WorldSpreads.com was launched in November 2005, but actually started 6 months prior to that. It probably took us 1 year to get an FSA licence and to build our trading platform. After 5 months of trading we have 6 dealers who look after over 500 clients and 100 Regency accounts. We have offices in London’s Regent Street, Dublin Ireland, Athens Greece and representative offices in Spain and Hungary. And have just launched www.metrader.com our middle-eastern division.

Just to explain, our Regency accounts are our higher net worth clients and WorldSpreads.com client’s trade mostly on the online trading platform. We are not the largest of the spread betting firms, but I believe big is not always beautiful. Our Regency service is offered to those individuals that are trading with perhaps an established firm, however feel they are not currently receiving a decent service. I think this has been lost over the past year as spread betting firms have gone through a price war.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Tell us about the different branches of the company – www.worldspreads.com, www.worldspreads100.com. Please include a brief explanation of each product site offering.

Marvin: Worldspreads.com is FSA regulated in the UK and we offer a spread betting service both over the phone and online. We are currently offering 1 tick spread on FTSE, 3 pip’s on major spot currencies, 10 spread free trades and are planning to offer 1 tick across DAX, CAC, GBPUSD= & EURUSD= very soon.

Worldspreads100.com is our online Binary betting site. Binary trade on sports and financial markets.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Tell us why you decided to plunge into the spread betting business.

Marvin: I was bored of trading stocks at home and decided to take the plunge and work in a growth industry that I was interested in being apart of.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Where exactly are you offices located? Are our readers welcome to visit your offices?

Marvin: Our UK office is located on Regent Street, in Walmar House. Please view the multi map below, always welcome but please call us to arrange a meeting!

Financial-Spread-Betting: Why would I, as a private investor who over the years has bought and sold my Vodafones, Glaxos and BPs, want to start doing spread betting on all these different markets?

Marvin: The main incentives are the following, gearing, a large variety of markets, lower margins, credit facility and the ability to hedge your portfolio.

We will shortly also be offering a 1 tick spread in the following markets, DAX, CAC, GBPUSD=, and EURGBP=.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What types of underlying investments, markets and events can I trade on? Can I trade different types of vehicle through a single account?

Marvin: With one account you can trade any of the markets we offer. Please view our market information sheet online or call to discuss. We offer Equities, Indices, Currencies, Commodities, FX, Bonds, and Interest rates.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What dealing platform do you use? What would you say really stands out about it?

Marvin: Our dealing platform has been designed for simplicity and ease of use. As one client pointed out to me, all I want is a platform to deal on that allows stops and limits and cheap spreads. The outstanding functionality of our system is that it very rarely goes down and it is very easy to use. Do not take my word for it please apply online and check it out.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What is your company’s main activity?

Marvin: We are proud to say we are 100% a spread betting company and we are industry professionals with many years of experience. We are also looking to offer Sports Spread betting in the UK and CFD trading from our London office.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What is the procedure for opening an account? How much do I need? Is there a maximum deposit?

Marvin: Opening an account is a simple procedure, one must log into our homepage www.worldspreads.com and in the top right hand corner click on ‘Open an Account’. Please read the terms and conditions.

Over 90% of our clients open online, however if you would like to fill out a physical application, do not hesitate to email us and we will be happy to send an application form to you.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What are the minimum/maximum trade sizes?

Marvin: The minimum trade size is £1 per point in any of the markets we offer and the maximum is dependent on the market size or your accounts position.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you accept international clients? Do you accept deposits by BACS? Which other payment methods do you accept?

Marvin: We accept international clients from any country based on a deposit account only. Except in the USA as spread betting is illegal. Methods of payments include BACS/ CHAPS/ and card payments, please find these details on our website.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are clients treated as intermediate clients or private investors?

Marvin: Because we segregate our client funds, our clients are regarded as private clients. Spread betting clients are not investing in the markets they are in general speculators. Having said that investors do hedge their portfolios with WorldSpreads

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are the commissions negotiable? i.e. are traders who trade bigger amounts or more frequently eligible for discounted commission rates or other perks?

Marvin: Of course, one great thing about WorldSpreads is that we are flexible and will happily negotiate with all our clients. We do have extremely tight spreads in comparison to the other spread betting firms, however we are also attracting many clients that trade the underlying futures.

We will also pay a very competitive rate on unencumbered funds greater than £20,000 on deposit.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do your products involve telephone or online dealing, or both? Is there a cost difference if both are offered?

Marvin: Our spread is the only charge that is incurred in any transaction with WS. You may deal via our London dealing desk by calling +44 207 290 0550.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you offer credit facilities? Can accounts be overdrawn?

Marvin: One of the benefits to spread betting is a credit facility, and WS will offer a credit facility to UK clients based on proof of funds. Please ask us if you would like a credit facility.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you quote all UK companies or only those within a substantial market cap? What kind of notional risk can one expect on a typical market? Can one trade outside market hours?

Marvin: You may trade UK stocks on a rolling/ futures contract with WS. We typically go down to a minimum market cap of £30 million or a minimum NMS of 3000. Please do ask as our dealers.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Is interest paid on the balance of the accounts? If yes, what are the rates? Are dividends paid out?

Marvin: We would like to think most clients use their trading accounts, having said that we would be happy to pay interest on unencumbered funds great than £20,000. The interest rate payable is negotiable and competitive.

At present we pay dividends as shares go ex-dividend, however we are developing a system that will price all dividends into our futures contract.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What is the typical level of risk involved with your products? What is the potential risk and reward level?

Marvin: Sorry, this question is rather silly as the markets that our client’s trade will depict their risk or reward. Most of our clients trade FTSE cash and our average trade size is £5 per tick, therefore with a daily scanning range of 100 the average risk reward would be £500 per trade.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Please detail the kind of stops and market orders being offered by World Spreads. Do you offer guaranteed stops?

Marvin: We offer stop orders and limit orders basis market price or quote price. These orders can be guaranteed or left un-guaranteed. A guaranteed order will incur a nominal charge that will be debited from your account upon leaving the order.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What is the Initial Margin Requirement (and general margin requirements)?

Marvin: Initial margin for our main markets are FTSE cash 100, which reduces throughout the day to 30. Our daily rolling margins in GBP/EUR/JPY rolling currencies are 150. Initial margins on FTSE 100 shares are 5% whilst 350 stocks are 10%. Smaller stocks have varying margin rates.

Check out our market information sheet online for all the contract specifications.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are there any general safeguards for clients - protected accounts for clients' money or segregated accounts…etc?

Marvin: Clients funds are segregated and held in a Royal bank of Scotland bank account. The FSA assure clients up to £40,000 so you are in theory protected up to this amount. However we must assure you that your funds are segregated and your funds are not used in order to hedge positions.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are there traders who make a living through spread betting at www.worldspreads.com ? What is the trading style and methods that these traders use for winning consistently?

Marvin: At present we have a large number of day traders that are trading for a living. A lot of ex LIFFE traders have opened to trade the FTSE on a 1 tick spread and the rationale behind this is that it is a tax free alternative to trading the futures contract.

The trading style of a winning trader is simple, know your markets, know your trading system, be aware of market data, grind it out and don’t look for the one winning trade, and finally make money.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Is worldspreads100.com operated independently or do you act as an introducing broker? And if so are there any intermediary charges or do our readers enjoy the same commission structure as if they’re dealing directly with the primary party? And to whom should our readers refer if anything goes wrong?

Marvin: We are an independent spread betting operator and therefore like many white labeled spread betting companies, you benefit from our competitive spreads.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What has been the clients' reaction?

Marvin: Exactly the above, but we are reducing our spreads massively across the board. We are hoping that these changes will benefit our clients. They want to trade more with us, and I have noticed that clients that have opened with us are generally trading more frequently. The reaction has been very positive and we hope it continues to be mutually positive.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What type of client and what type of uses are your particular products most suitable for? Can it cater for those looking into short-term trading or scalping or is it more suitable for those wishing to take longer time views (weeks or even a few months)?

Marvin: Both we hope, we offer tight spreads on daily and rolling contracts and we also offer competitive rates on the Quarterly contracts. We also offer credit which suits swing traders and for the scalping client you can nick quick profits on our index or currency contracts.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Who is predominantly making up your customer base at this time? Also, what kind of people are your customers – i.e. do they tend to have City experience?

Marvin: At present the majority of our client base consist of full time to semi full time traders, with experience of trading in the spread betting industry. City experience does not necessarily mean you are going to be a better trader, but it may mean you know the markets a little better. We do have a lot of city financial traders and risk managers that trade with us, they prefer to trade with a smaller less established company because they get better service.

Alpesh Patel has introduced many of his clients to WorldSpreads, these clients are typically customers that have been to his seminar and are in the process of learning.

So in answer to your question, we do have a broad spectrum of clients and that is the nature of the financial spread betting industry.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Are there any other fees which our readers need to be aware of besides your commissions? Do you charge a quarterly trading account fee or an account inactivity fee or a fee for cfd trades made over the phone…etc? Are there any charges for telegraphic transfers and late payments…etc?

Marvin: The only other fees are the daily rolling contract fees, which are +/- 1.5% Libor for UK stocks and the rolling of futures contracts that incurs a small fee.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What services are you offering that others aren't? Why should clients choose www.worldspreads.com as their spread betting firm of choice?

Marvin: 1 tick spread in the FTSE/ a private banking approach to spread betting/ and a cracking service, we hope!

Financial-Spread-Betting: How do spread betters make money? There is a conspiracy theory that companies only make money by clients losing money.

Marvin: Spread betting companies make money from spreads, that is our margin and risk premium. Most clients that I talk to ask me the question, “Do you make money from my losses”. I do insist to clients that spread betting firm’s pool risk because we cannot hedge a £5 trade on the FTSE for example. So with that in mind spread betting firms do win or lose - to spread betting clients. I always remind clients it is hard enough trading the markets + having to concentrate on the spread betting firm making or losing off you. Do not trade emotionally just trade the price.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What are the common hurdles a new spread better faces?

Marvin: Getting wiped out quickly. I hope this tip stops people from getting wiped out quick, ‘do not punt a view but study a trade’.

Financial-Spread-Betting: As of now, what trends do you see in the markets people choose to trade? Are there any sectors, contracts, currencies, indices, particular markets where your clients are clearly more or less successful? Do you think this will change over time?

Marvin: Clients have been taking a much greater interest in commodity and currency plays recently. This is only natural as they have been the more volatile markets which provide traders with larger daily/ medium term swings. In the 80’s and 90’s stocks were the major trading instrument, and now a lot of our business flow is concentrated on the dollars movement! Trading in commodities and currencies has become far cheaper. I was actually discussing this with a client and he said it was true for commodities as the currency markets have stabilized recently with the markets getting use to the Euros value. The reasons why clients trade currencies are because they can move a lot more in tick value than equities, and are more sensitive to macro data.

Currency trading will take off massively in the UK and we have seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

Financial-Spread-Betting: There are many sayings in the markets; do you have a favourite one?

Marvin: “The gambling passions lurk in all of us” – Honore de Balzac

Financial-Spread-Betting: Any remarkable incident/ trade which occurred and you could share with us?

Marvin: Me being long Marconi on the day it fell from grace and the whole financial spreads desk laughing at me…

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you provide any training for new clients? Are there any virtual trading facilities?

Marvin: Demo account if you want, but if you are a genuine trader and want to take advantage you have come to the right place.

Financial-Spread-Betting: What challenges do you see ahead?

Marvin: Lots we hope.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Any books and resources you would recommend to fellow traders? Any other comment you want to make?

Marvin: The Bible.

Financial-Spread-Betting: Do you have any special sign-up trade offers for our readers who decide to go ahead and open an account at www.worldspreads.com

Marvin:

10 Spreads Free Trades on the first 10 trades.
1 Tick Spread on FTSE
3 Tick Spreads on GBP/EUR/JPY rolling

There is no doubt that this discussion is about WS, but it is fair to make some comparisons.

laptop1 said:
I went back to trade later in the day with them and the same problem again waiting for the dealer to respond,

These are the trades I tried to place in the afternoon when I stared having problems with waiting. before the ones below I had around 20 trades on hold, I had a stop watch for these ones take a look below.

trade 1 to 10

time dealer to respond
15.21 12,04 sec
15,23 17,49 sec
15,24 15,04 ses
15,25 19,23 ses
15,26 14,11 ses
15,26 17,39 ses
15,28 11,75 ses
15,28 8,52 ses
15,28 21.46 ses

According to FB if you click to bet you will receive a fill within approximately 200 milliseconds. There are 1000 milliseconds in 1 second. If the WS dealer takes 10 seconds to respond, that's 50 times greater than the FB execution time. At least 1 second should be the industry standard in the 21st century. WS has the technology to achieve this time, please let it work and quote us happy.

swissgold - At least 1 second should be the industry standard in the 21st century. WS has the technology to achieve this time, please let it work and quote us happy.

Totally agree.

I think anything more than a couple of seconds = deliberate poor service/manipulation.

A spread-bet broker cannot get away with arguing - "oh well, we have the narrowest spreads, so by rights we can get away with providing slower trade execution speeds than the opposition........"

Fast trade execution speeds and the narrowest spreads = the spread-bet broker with by far the most customers. Simple.

Last edited:
jtrader said:
Fast trade execution speeds and the narrowest spreads = the spread-bet broker with by far the most customers. Simple.

Agreed 100%, and its still cheaper to go direct access...moral- drop SBs in favour of DA- end of story to my mind.

The less layers you have between you and the market, the lower the skim....dead simple

jtrader said:
Totally agree.

I think anything more than a couple of seconds = deliberate poor service/manipulation.

A spread-bet broker cannot get away with arguing - "oh well, we have the narrowest spreads, so by rights we can get away with providing slower trade execution speeds than the opposition........"

Perfect in a nutshell... anything said by an SB counts for nothing if they cannot guarantee an unbiased market and execute quicker than you can say 'con' otherwise you have no hope.

Direct access is the only way you can seriously trade a market.

What is the answer, Direct access prices under a spread bet?
Are you thinking what i am thinking..........

Add in Direct access quality, speed and unbiased execution and I'd take a more serious look at worldspreads.

Oh, and 24/5 currencies.