why SpreadBet??? its not professional

Stockjunkie said:
Not totally true sometimes faces, if they win too much will get a negative reaction from the SB .

I speak from experience but I still used them , they are not infallable if you know what to do .

the trick is that knowledge.

Out of interest SJ, are you a short term trader? I'm guessing that as they'd have to hedge against (or run with) "faces", they would define them as those who they could realistically follow. I suppose a scalper would be a right "pain in the ****", and not a "face" :LOL:

UTB

the blades said:
Out of interest SJ, are you a short term trader? I'm guessing that as they'd have to hedge against (or run with) "faces", they would define them as those who they could realistically follow. I suppose a scalper would be a right "pain in the ****", and not a "face" :LOL:

UTB

Hi,

yes , I usually hold for about 1-3 days .

they did run with me at first , but then they could not keep up , my entry windows are very small , so if they don't go in almost exactly when I do then the chance tends to be gone or reduced.

Am I missing something?

I think you are forgetting ease of access and tax free status. Most pros I know trade on sb accounts purely for their own account. I have been running Nikkei, Gold, Silver and London Coffee trades in the last months on sb it makes scaling in and out easier and in more manageable size.

you do nekkei with SBs ?

speards are big and the time is wrong for you , no ? are you trading at 2am UK time ?

Splitlink said:
I'm not following this. If the SB hedges my bet what does it matter to me?

Split

surely it doesn't. What matters is what price you get on both ends of the deal, compared to the price you may have obtained elsewhere.

As I've asked above, and on many other ocassions, if this amount is less than the tax advantage then why not spreadbet? As yet, I've never had an answer.

In fact, I don't believe any of these umpteen "to spreadbet or not to spreadbet" threads have ever converted anybody :rolleyes:

UTB

This is getting boring

charliechan said:
yes please do explain as simply as you like.

why not give several examples -
1/ where the sb company has even bets on both sides
2/ where the sb company has a majority of long customers and the market is going up strongly
3/ where the sb company has a majority of customers on the wrong side of the market

while at it, you may also like to refer to my earlier post that socrates also sees as truth and not fairy tale stuff straight from the marketing blurb of the sb company.

thank you.

Thought you'd never ask!

1/ OK The SB co has for example at any one time 200 active trades on the FTSE say 100 long at a combined total of £5000 per point. It matches these trades against its client base to 100 short at the same £5000 per point. It's net position is zero. Let's say that the spread is 6 points. The SB has already made £5000 x half the spread i.e £15,000 when these clients opened their positions! Their liability has already been hedged from their own client base!
Now lets say that the market moves 100 points up and then comes down 100 points over a period of two weeks and everyone closes out their trades. All 200 punters would have made a small loss and the SB company would have made £30,000.

This is the cost of trading by SB and as in any market if you open and close at the same price you take a small loss.

In reality of course the SB firms books are a hive of activity with probably many hundreds of trades being opened and closed per hour on the same instrument. Great for the SB company as they are making on the spread on each and every transaction as long as they can match up opposing clients views.

In this case of course it doesn't matter to the SB co if the FTSE goes up non stop for weeks because their net position is zero. It is in effect just a transfer of wealth from those clients 'wrong' to those clients 'right'. The Sb co doesn't give **** as they have made their money anyway. (Just like in the DA market). So you see the SB makes money from those clients that WIN and those that LOSE. Actually it makes no difference to them at all!!

2/ Of course in a trending market that is going up strongly and most of the SB's client base are also long the SB co will simply hedge their position in the marketplace according to their own risk parameters. Ideally of course they would like an equal number of longs and shorts so they don't have to hedge but when their overall position is out of balance they hedge overall. I don't suppose for a minute that they care who has placed the trade or what their track record is, they simple monitor their overall position on a particular market and hedge accordingly.
Again with the dynanics of their customer base people are opening and closing positions at a rapid rate in real time and each and every time the SB co is making their spread money!

So in effect, even if the majority of their clients are 'winning' the SB co still make money!

3/ This is the reverse of 2 and the same applies. Can't be bothered to explain it all again.

The conclusion of all this is that the Spread betting firm does not give a toss if you win or lose so long as you trade!! Where possible your position is matched against another opposing position within their customer base,, if it is not then it will be hedged. (When it is worth doing)
How else do you think they do business? Just hope that all their customers lose and take their money? Doesn't seem very bright as a business model. Try taking that to the bank manager as a business proposition. But what about if you make money off every client whether they win or lose?
The job of the SB co is turnover, the number of trades per hour per day that they make their spread on, not the direction of the market. Funny that sounds a bit like Direct access to me!
Still it must be better because you have to pay commissions and pay the IR 40% of your winnings. Lovely.

As I have said before I have been successfully spread betting for almost four years and find it the perfect way to trade. If the SB firms hate winners so much why haven't my accounts been closed down? I'll tell you why, because they want me to trade, as much as possible, so I can be offset against others. I have made over £100K from several SB firms over the years and get great service from them. They want me as a customer because I trade a lot.

I have met these guys in their offices in America Square and had a tour of their offices and seen things in action in real time. I have been taken to lunch on many occasions, taken to sporting events gratis and even now have a 'tick back' arrangement whereby I am credited with one tick per trade I have made in the previous month! Do you think they would do that if they didn't value my business?!

SB is a good way to trade IMHO - that's it. If you don't agree then don't do it!

Last edited:
the blades said:
surely it doesn't. What matters is what price you get on both ends of the deal, compared to the price you may have obtained elsewhere.

As I've asked above, and on many other ocassions, if this amount is less than the tax advantage then why not spreadbet? As yet, I've never had an answer.

In fact, I don't believe any of these umpteen "to spreadbet or not to spreadbet" threads have ever converted anybody :rolleyes:

UTB

I think that losing traders are too quick to put the blame on SBs. They say that they are going to brokers, such as IB. They are doomed to lose more money if they have not been successful at making money with SB companies. They are stepping up to larger stakes with the same problems that they had before i.e. they haven't learned the lessons. Even so, I would plead with them to be even more careful with direct access and the arcades - some of which have no capital base and are not recognised dealers. I believe that you join them as some kind of partner, so that if one goes broke the shortage is made up by the rest.There is a thread on them here, somewhere.

Split

To me it is simple.

The spread makes it difficult to daytrade.
The spread will have little or no impact on position and swing traders so is a good vehicle given the tax free status (normally)

JonnyT

A lot depends on capital resources and timeframe intent and I agree for the most part with JT ..the spread and bias on the spread at pivotal points makes it considerably more difficult the shorter the timeframe goes..but that is also why if you have the capital resources you should use them to slide outside those timeframes if you wish to use SB's , or move over to IB or similar and if just starting then start 'small' until you have established a statistical base for your positive expectancy.... I don't see why either route is more professional than the other...it is of course more professional to pick the route that best suits your capital and timeframe .

JonnyT said:
To me it is simple.

The spread makes it difficult to daytrade.
The spread will have little or no impact on position and swing traders so is a good vehicle given the tax free status (normally)

JonnyT

Of course! You are a daytrader and I am not. Day trading gives very poor returns , I realise that.

Regards

Split

JonnyT said:
Actually I daytrade, position trade and longer term trade...

JonnyT

Daytrading's not for me. I've tried and lost money at it plus I tended to gawk at the monitor all day. I know that some trade for two hours per day and leave it, but when I had a trade open I couldn't- I had to keep looking!

Good Luck

Split

yawn.

looks like the marketing department should be given a medal cos theyve done a great job on you lot. now i can see why 90% of people lose - they are all sheep, believe the common way of thinking and mostly are unable to think from an objective perspective.

looks like no one has considered the issues raised in post #43.

i have better things to do than explain it again.

for clarity though, im not suggesting that a sb account is a definite way to failure, or, that all sb account holders are losers. all i am saying is that you will have to give up something one way or another when dealing with one. in ANY business venture, you want as much going your way, not giving up any edge. so why lessen the chances of success? as if the ofdds of failure werent high enough!

you may give up some edge in favour of another - twalker eludes to this. gj also touches on it in an indirect way. iam not going to spell it out though. but these are people who probably know the true nature of the markets and how and why they move (clue - its not your rsi or ma!!).

but by and large it seems clear that most here dont get this.

good luck. i will leave you all alone now to convince yourselves you are right and know whats up. after all, trading is just a numbers game right !!???!!?? :rolleyes:

p.s. - blades - just so you know, real winners NEVER discuss results or claims to success in public.

Charlie - as ever, you've ducked a really simple question - reference my calculations. Tell me why I shouldn't spreadbet, sticking to the points I've raised in post 55?

As for real winners - I'm making no claims about ability or anything here. Whatever my results from trading, I've exceeded my CGT allowance through good fortune elswhere. As for claims about my results - a "a "circa 5%" return per trade, with no timeframe specified, hardly gets me an invite to Warren Buffet's dinner party, does it?

For the record - I class myself as a very average trader who follows very simple rules. My only question is when so many are supposed to lose, why I actually win? But that's another story.

UTB

charliechan said:
yawn.

looks like the marketing department should be given a medal cos theyve done a great job on you lot. now i can see why 90% of people lose - they are all sheep, believe the common way of thinking and mostly are unable to think from an objective perspective.

Charlie, don't try to make us feel bad! :devilish:

90% of traders lose, as you say, but across the whole spectrum of trading, especially in the direct dealing arcades. I can't see where modest traders in SB companies are going to lose their shirts, providing they take the trouble to try to correct where they have gone wrong. Letting them loose with their parents' inheritance with one of the others can be quite a different matter.

Relax and let the rest sleep in peace at night. Why are you so interested in weening folk away from SB's, anyway? Are you trying to make us see the light? Well, I have been with IB and had the sense to know that I had left the woods and had entered a jungle- not that IB are bad people- far from it- but I was out of my depth. Fortunately, while I was losing money daytrading, my portfolio was getting it back for me.

Split

charliechan said:
yawn.

looks like no one has considered the issues raised in post #43.

i have better things to do than explain it again.

for clarity though, im not suggesting that a sb account is a definite way to failure, or, that all sb account holders are losers. all i am saying is that you will have to give up something one way or another when dealing with one. in ANY business venture, you want as much going your way, not giving up any edge. so why lessen the chances of success? as if the ofdds of failure werent high enough!

you may give up some edge in favour of another - twalker eludes to this. gj also touches on it in an indirect way. iam not going to spell it out though. but these are people who probably know the true nature of the markets and how and why they move (clue - its not your rsi or ma!!).

but by and large it seems clear that most here dont get this.

good luck. i will leave you all alone now to convince yourselves you are right and know whats up. after all, trading is just a numbers game right !!???!!?? :rolleyes:

p.s. - blades - just so you know, real winners NEVER discuss results or claims to success in public.
Hello Charlie, is it not cruelly ironic that the people who are least properly equipped are the first ones to blunder forth, like the lemmings ?

The concept of an edge is not understood on these boards. It is believed to be the consequence of mastering some mechanical truth hidden in the charts, or other nonsenses.

I am not going to progress any further in that direction.

I will only venture to say again I wholly agree with you.

What appears not to be universally understood here is that in order to afford the luxury of sacrificing part of an edge as a component of a superior strategy in order to achieve some objective that may offer a benefit, the remaining edge must be substantial, so that the sacrifice does not significantly affect the advantage and the capability overall.

In consequence of this disadvantage, that is, by virtue of not posessing a real edge, the great majority seek comfort. This comfort is not to be had in the direction in which the universal bias of interest is tilted. The great irony is that the true holders of really substantial edges do not bother to SB.

If one thing is clear from this thread it is that both CharlieChan and Socrates have never Spread Bet yet are free to give us all the advice we need to know on the subject.
Still what do I know? I am just a Rookie are these guys are Legendary! (in their own minds perhaps).
Any way I'm bored of this thread now - need to go and make some nice tax free cash.

Cheers

pringle

SOCRATES said:
The great irony is that the true holders of really substantial edges do not bother to SB.

I'm sorry, but this statement is SO far off the mark. Try shorting some of the lesser liquid stocks without the risk of getting bought in by a broker and all of a sudden SBs provide a tool NO-ONE else can. And how about someone like Blades who has reached his CGT threshold? And professional traders who use SBs on the side to earn of bit of PA cash?

SBs might not be for everyone, but to assert that professional traders don't use them is, quite frankly, laughable.

Would those that trade via Direct Access Brokers kindly state what the spread is on Euro/Dollar and the FTSE 100. Are there any other transaction costs ie. commission involved or is that it?

CMC charge their spread betting clients 3 pips for the Euro/Dollar and 2 points on the FTSE 100 index no other fees or commission are added to these spreads.

A simple comparison of charges relative to potential rewards should settle the argument/debate once and for all.