Why educate, teach or coach your strategy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a fad not long ago about egoless-whatever. Like most fads its proponents pushed it beyond its ability to be of benefit. Your concerns about ego as a motivator remind me of what doctors are taught. The only difference between medicine and poison is dose. With the right amount of ego there is concern for the customer as well as the teacher. The teacher cares about his reputation. An excessive amount of ego not only poisons the teacher, but poisons everyone with whom he is in contact.
I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here, Howard. However, you're certainly not addressing the point I made. It's not about ego, per se. My point is that success in one's chosen field, whether it be teaching, trading, engineering or anything else, is enough of an ego boost to professional people who have a healthy respect for themselves and for their chosen field. Such people wouldn't seek to massage their egos further by teaching. Does your daughter-in-law often decide to start a paid class to impart her student experience to other wannabe high-school teachers?
Working with students is an enriching experience on many levels. It is difficult to put in words, even for professional teachers like my daughter-in-law who is now the prin\cipal of the high school that attracts the best and the brightest in her area. She cannot judge the content of my material, but she does not have the concerns about the pedagogy that many here profess.
Nobody here has concerns about your "pedagogy", Howard, whatever you might mean by that. The concern is that you DON'T have the qualifications necessary to teach a particular subject. It's as if your daughter-in-law applied for the high school principal's job right after graduating from kindergarten. In reality, I guess she has a degree or a couple, and that she worked as a regular teacher for at least several years before she considered herself qualified.
Teaching may not be the most efficient way to accomplish my personal learning goals. I am not planning to teach as the most efficient way to make money. I expect to lose money at it. I am not planning to teach as the most efficient way to better learn my craft. I am planning to teach because I love it and I believe that others may benefit from what I know. Many who publicly post here do not agree. I am, however, encouraged by feedback that is not so public.
Howard, if you love to teach, why don't you teach engineering? I am telling you that people can't benefit from what you know because you, in fact, know VERY LITTLE, if not NOTHING, about trading. I have said it time and time again, not to offend you, but as a simple statement of fact.
The most disconcerting element of your post is to suggest that one person's method of returning is superior to another's. That idea is anathema to people like me. (Libertarians who conceal carry ;))
Howard, what is wrong with your mental faculties? Of course, methods of "returning" differ. Surely, it should be obvious. If I have never ever fired a firearm in my entire life, but have this burning desire to teach other people to shoot, do you think that would be a good idea? I understand you had mentor(s) when you started trading? Imagine if this mentor were someone who had no mkt experience but had a burning desire to teach? The point is that, irrespective of our desires, external reality imposes all sorts of constraints on our ability to do the things we feel we can do.
Thanks for the thoughtful reply. Many here could learn a lot from you about civil discourse.
Howard, I am generally a patient person, hence my willingness to engage in a dialogue with you and my civility. However, there's a point where even I will run out of patience.

A song for Howard, written by DashRiprock
(sung to the tune of American Pie, by Don McClean)

(you can sing it along to the music from this video)

INTRO

a long, long time ago
I can still remember
how that howard used to make us laugh

And I knew that if I had my chance
I could explain his r:r balance
was based on, imp. volatility, smiles...

but Howie would not let us impress
the extend of his unseen distress

Bad news on the doorstep
he hadn't done enough prep

I cant remember if I cried
as he parambulates while, spouting lies

but something touched me deep inside
his short strike... volatility... implied

So...

CHORUS

Bye Bye our little Howie,
sold a short strike bought a long strike and the short strike expired,
them good ole boys were drinkin whiskey and rye
singing "Howard your strategy does imply..."
"Howard your strategy does imply..."

VERSE

Did you read the book by Hull, and do you understand that your edge is Null?
the option theory tells you so...

and do you believe that theta decay
can provide you money that the market pays
and its just so easy that, all you need is, proabailityyyy

Well I Know that your option knowledge is slim
cos I saw you saying all you need is prem(ium)
you ignore everyone elses's views
your just an old man thats confuuuused

And your exposure to changes in VIX
can't be avoided by some probability tricks

and you will know when you are out of luck
the day, your trading account, dies.

EVERYBODY

Bye Bye our little Howie,
sold a short strike bought a long strike and the short strike expired,
them good ole boys were drinkin whiskey and rye
singing "Howard your strategy does imply..."
"Howard your strategy does imply..."

I had a go at running a graduate scheme... my motivation was that eventually I could have 10 or 20 grads trading on my behalf, and them training others too, my taking a cut of their profits, and me have to do no work whatsoever!

In reality... well the after effects on me are well documented. I made a few grand out of running it (profit split; no one was charged to be on the scheme, obviously) and lost many times that in terms of the effect on my own trading, in terms of opportunity cost and nonsense losses... and frankly STILL haven't quite got my mojo quite back to where it was before I did it...

This, however, should have been obvious, really. Because I've tried teaching things on various occasions and it always went wrong :LOL:

(Addendum: Interestingly, one of the candidates I interviewed for the training program had previously been head of the training program at another, more grad-focussed (as opposed to us where I'm the only one under 30... we only want successful traders now) prop shop that was heavily talked about on here... infer what you want from the fact he was interviewing for that!*)

*You'll probably be correct too

Howard, I am generally a patient person, hence my willingness to engage in a dialogue with you and my civility. However, there's a point where even I will run out of patience.

Running out of patience is not the sign of a successful teacher, is it?

Were Linus Pauling to have stuck to his initial field he would not have received his second Nobel Prize and we would all have been deprived of the benefits of the great works of a great polymath.

As someone who has taught a lot, I always take responsibility for a failure to communicate successfully. And I'm usually right because when I take a different approach it usually works.

You have failed to convince me that I do not have sufficient knowledge to teach the narrow field of trading credit spreads using my focused strategy. This communication failure could be my fault, but experience suggests it is the least likely alternative.

I have read your arguments and have done my best to analyze them and tried to point out where the premises are wrong so, right or wrong, your conclusion remained unconvincing. Not wrong, just unconvincing.

You believe you are right and you are righteous about it. If you want to convince me, say it differently rather than saying it louder. Or correct your arguments where the premises do not represent my actual position and remake the argument and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Your leaving the field of discourse on this would be a great disappointment to me. You are one of the few that digs beneath the surface.

(Addendum: Interestingly, one of the candidates I interviewed for the training program had previously been head of the training program at another, more grad-focussed (as opposed to us where I'm the only one under 30... we only want successful traders now) prop shop that was heavily talked about on here... infer what you want from the fact he was interviewing for that!*)

*You'll probably be correct too

You're under 30? I thought you were an old fart! :LOL:

Running out of patience is not the sign of a successful teacher, is it?

Were Linus Pauling to have stuck to his initial field he would not have received his second Nobel Prize and we would all have been deprived of the benefits of the great works of a great polymath.

As someone who has taught a lot, I always take responsibility for a failure to communicate successfully. And I'm usually right because when I take a different approach it usually works.

You have failed to convince me that I do not have sufficient knowledge to teach the narrow field of trading credit spreads using my focused strategy. This communication failure could be my fault, but experience suggests it is the least likely alternative.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

I have read your arguments and have done my best to analyze them and tried to point out where the premises are wrong so, right or wrong, your conclusion remained unconvincing. Not wrong, just unconvincing.

You believe you are right and you are righteous about it. If you want to convince me, say it differently rather than saying it louder. Or correct your arguments where the premises do not represent my actual position and remake the argument and see if you come to the same conclusion.

Your leaving the field of discourse on this would be a great disappointment to me. You are one of the few that digs beneath the surface.

Is it possible for you to get any more pompous or pig-headed? :LOL:

He's not interested in teaching you - no-one is- and there is no "failure of communication".

People have pointed out the blindingly obvious to you. You decide to ignore it and then claim that they have failed to communicate effectively with you.

Little Howie Cojones (wannabe travel agent) you long ago passed beyond joke status. Now you are passing beyond the realms of self-parody.

Yes.... but had he then stopped after that he wouldn't have been a crank saying vitamin c cures cancer!

Yes.... but had he then stopped after that he wouldn't have been a crank saying vitamin c cures cancer!

Many of the benefits of mega-doses of Vitamin C that he suggested have turned out to be true. Were all of us to be judged in totality by our weakest moment, few would be judged well.

Many of the benefits of mega-doses of Vitamin C that he suggested have turned out to be true. Were all of us to be judged in totality by our weakest moment, few would be judged well.

Rather depends what one means by most... But by any *reasonable* definition I can think of, the failures of the cancer, common cold, and angina usages of it overshadow any other successes.

I have absolutely no idea what you're saying here, Howard. However, you're certainly not addressing the point I made. It's not about ego, per se. My point is that success in one's chosen field, whether it be teaching, trading, engineering or anything else, is enough of an ego boost to professional people who have a healthy respect for themselves and for their chosen field. Such people wouldn't seek to massage their egos further by teaching. Does your daughter-in-law often decide to start a paid class to impart her student experience to other wannabe high-school teachers?

Nobody here has concerns about your "pedagogy", Howard, whatever you might mean by that. The concern is that you DON'T have the qualifications necessary to teach a particular subject. It's as if your daughter-in-law applied for the high school principal's job right after graduating from kindergarten. In reality, I guess she has a degree or a couple, and that she worked as a regular teacher for at least several years before she considered herself qualified.

I love these type of posts by Martinghoul.... they're simply sizzling with repressed anger and violence. Sure, the bookish and pedantic discourse is still firmly in place, but it's not hard to peer beneath the veneer and espy a mild-mannered doctor, his skin turning green, his trousers and shirt splitting, his teeth exposed in a rictus of rage ....

Rather depends what one means by most... But by any *reasonable* definition I can think of, the failures of the cancer, common cold, and angina usages of it overshadow any other successes.

I believe you are conflating symptom relief with cure. I'm not up with all the current research, but I believe that all enjoyed either symptom relief or enabled other medication to work more effectively. Here I am going from memory rather than a current search.

I love these type of posts by Martinghoul.... they're simply sizzling with repressed anger and violence. Sure, the bookish and pedantic discourse is still firmly in place, but it's not hard to peer beneath the veneer and espy a mild-mannered doctor, his skin turning green, his trousers and shirt splitting, his teeth exposed in a rictus of rage ....

You should meet him in real life! I only have one and three quarter testicles left, and that only because of prompt medical aid...

Status
Not open for further replies.