Why do people not use Betfair more?

I think that it will also be worth looking at the statistics of Dow touching +30 pre open and therefore we will be able to consider the real truth behind the 'gap close' trade. I cant remember any stats regarding the gap close on Dow but I remember some time back reading that closing gap trades could be quite profitable and also had quite a remarkable hit rate. One would obviously imagine that the bigger the gap then the less chance of it closing but do the statistics support that theory in a uniform manner? If they dont then an anomaly does perhaps exist.

On the subject of the '+30 bet' itself - surely the +30 has to occur pretty early for the odds to be beneficial to the trader. As someone already mentioned, if it happens too late then any potential value is lost as it is far less likely that someone will misprice the remaining time premium.

I would also say, that for backtest purposes, volatility has to be taken into consideration. There have clearly been days over the last few years where the Dow could move 30 points in 5 seconds and on other days it hasn't moved 30 in 5 hours.

Steve.

agreed steve... i based my findings on 10-period ATR (# doesnt make much difference).. 30pts is approx .35 - .40 of the daily ATR at the moment which is what i researched..

also, i tested this on the first 90 mins of the session, and the % "success" rate didnt drop too much below.

i wish i could find my excel sheet to quadruple check these numbers..

but either way, the exchanges still arent priced properly!! and also you can probably lay them back on spikes in your favour..

rather like the footie/rugby/cricket matches, the prices over-react to the a goal/try/wicket

this volatility can be traded quite easily..

now all i need to do is get a bot to do it for me lol...

dow cleared 10,800 now..

gonna be quiet ahead of the FOMC minutes due tomorrow..

dow bet looks like a banker at the moment which would make todays take £80.... £130 in 2 days.

small change at the mo, but im still testing a few ideas.

fc

FC interesting stats indeed.

Keep up the good work of breaking new boundaries and good for you for sharing your insight. Anyone who critisises is just jealous they didn't think of it first.

Me I am just jealous

getting tempted by an up bet on the FTSE..quoted at 1.08 on betdaq

currently sitting on the upper bollinger band on the 1 min chart.

might wait til it pulls back to the lower band to get a more reasonable price before lumping on...

Dow as yet undecided..

fc

just to add to the confusion, looks like we are looking for a down day on the dow..

now time to find a decent price :)

ok, £40 at 1.12 for the FTSE to finish up...

crappy odds, but it looks like the fall should stop before the close...lower BB hit, bottom of channel etc.

fc

right, and £55 (normal stake) on a down day on the Dow @1.43 (approaching upper bollinger and 10,800 psychological resistance)

on another note, the gits at betdaq have reverse their error so profits are back to +£55 after 2 days...

FTSE bet looking strong at the mo.. fairly safe (famous last words lol)

fc

FC - Arent the Fed minutes today? Might explain why there is still quite a lot of premium in the quoed prices.

Steve.

Nov 22 2:00 PM FOMC Minutes Nov 1 - - - - -

stevespray said:
FC - Arent the Fed minutes today? Might explain why there is still quite a lot of premium in the quoed prices.

Steve.

yup, 7pm our time...

am looking for a spike perhaps to either add or offload... will have to play it by ear, and quickly, as people tend to pull their offers fairly sharpish in such situations..

hmm, if you fancy a punt, betdaq have got £264 on an up day at 2.46.

not bad for what is essentially a 50/50 pending the minutes...

im half tempted to partly hedge my position with it...

if you want an arb, you can lay it on betfair at approx 2.1

right..

hmm, reversed position by lumping £133 on the amount at 2.46..

currently 40pts to the good.. stand to make a profit of £100 if it closes above 10,820.

fingers crossed..

fc

bit risky i know... but someone had left the money on the table and i have had a reach for it..

there is still approx 150 sitting there at the mo....

As I mentioned earlier - FOMC Minutes are a known volitility we can profit from. I wouldnt be betting on the statistics at that point - I'd reverse and bet on the random factor which clearly offers much better value. I think that the spreadbetters could be caught out big time on this issue - its where the real money is.

Good night,
Steve.

right, after yesterdays free money offer lol (kerchingg +£150 over 3 days now )

its time to go again.. £40 @1.99 on a down day..

touched 15pts down on the open, RSI "overbought", and sitting on the top bollinger, both on the 5 min charts..resistance at yesterdays high etc..

Down looks the favoured direction, and taking a price at evens appears to be good value...

FC

and taken another £10 at 2.75 getting close to normal size... easing in gradually

divergance appearing again, and just forming a red candle on the old top bollie band...

and a final £10 on at 6.20

only 35 points up, and at longer term resistance..

might not close down, but i should be able to lay off at a lower price...

couldnt resist it..

been adding solidly upwards of 6 up to 8.6

only 40pts up still, and these seem ludicrous odds considering the technicals..

currently got £100 riding on it... potential £400 win.

will lay off to minimise the downside should we get back nearer yesterdays close..

fc

FetteredChinos said:
couldnt resist it..

been adding solidly upwards of 6 up to 8.6

only 40pts up still, and these seem ludicrous odds considering the technicals..

currently got £100 riding on it... potential £400 win.

will lay off to minimise the downside should we get back nearer yesterdays close..

fc

can't see it happening m8, looks very unlikely indeed to go down