Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

29/09 21:11OTTAWA (Dow Jones)--Canada's highest court Thursday ruled that a provincial law used to sue tobacco companies to recover healthcare costs is constitutional, opening the door to similar legislation elsewhere in the country and leaving the industry potentially facing billions of dollars in damages.

Excellent news for anti-smokers everywhere, perhaps a step to getting this carcinogen banned.
Why is it still legal??

MO could be be affected by this as it came out just after hours

Last edited:
Minder said:
Break out to the upside +77 points and not a whisper on the board.

Where is everyone ?

I think the majority are looking out of a different window searching for a clearer view.

To be honest, I never thought the Dow would climb 79pts today. Doesn't make sense. But that's the market at the moment for you, and I'm confident others think the same.

The DOW is behaving irrationaly and to a lesser degree the FTSE. Where's the DOW going? Flip a coin.

Yours

UK

mickandpete said:
JFK
I think this may be a red herring as OTIS is currently in the East Pacific
Would be hard pushed to gain the Gulf

Maybe Otis is buying lots of CATs to undermine and dig his way there? Well hurricanes and oil problems make markets go up don't they? :confused:

ukhero said:
I think the majority are looking out of a different window searching for a clearer view.

To be honest, I never thought the Dow would climb 79pts today. Doesn't make sense. But that's the market at the moment for you, and I'm confident others think the same.

The DOW is behaving irrationaly and to a lesser degree the FTSE. Where's the DOW going? Flip a coin.

Yours

UK
You're absolutely right - it's just a complete lottery at the moment, defying both fundamental and technical analysis. But then the market can stay irrational longer than.............................

kriesau said:
You're absolutely right - it's just a complete lottery at the moment, defying both fundamental and technical analysis. But then the market can stay irrational longer than.............................

I really cannot believe the way dow is going right now,,,,COMPLETE LOTTERY...you could not have used a better phrase to be honest.I have mentioned time and time again about shorting the dow,but this is far as I go no more trading for me till I see proper direction...
Yesterday was a very bad day for me.....A BREAK OUT TO THE UPSIDE....ohh come on....
As soon as I place the trade on to go short it seem they know that rav is ont he case so LET S GO LONG...hahaha well
If there is anyone who has predicted the dow in the last 3 days correctly..you need to be called The genie so please make sure you change your name.

Thought on today....reverse whatver I tell you to do.....
Happy trading..
:rolleyes:

Astounding turmaround day on the dow!! smacks of co-ordinated manipulation. like you rav700 a bad day for me. the question is when will we get the muck talked about decline

rav700 said:
I really cannot believe the way dow is going right now,,,,COMPLETE LOTTERY...you could not have used a better phrase to be honest.I have mentioned time and time again about shorting the dow,but this is far as I go no more trading for me till I see proper direction...
Yesterday was a very bad day for me.....A BREAK OUT TO THE UPSIDE....ohh come on....
As soon as I place the trade on to go short it seem they know that rav is ont he case so LET S GO LONG...hahaha well
If there is anyone who has predicted the dow in the last 3 days correctly..you need to be called The genie so please make sure you change your name.

Thought on today....reverse whatver I tell you to do.....
Happy trading..
:rolleyes:

looks like a lot of window dressing to me before end of the month... another choppy day today.. maybe a test of 10600 (tokyo has done a 4 yr high it seems!)

next week would be interesting though (as usual :)

Racer
Deja vu??
You said to me you traded the Dow back through 10000 in 2000
Is this the start???
Irrationality was the name of the game then

Pat494 said:
Just my tuppenyworth but I am cautious about rushing into shorts just yet
:eek:

I really fail to see why everyone is so gloomy on this thread and going short so much when the market is headed UP.
Alright - down a bit this morning before generally going up imho.

Pat494 said:
I really fail to see why everyone is so gloomy on this thread and going short so much when the market is headed UP.
Alright - down a bit this morning before generally going up imho.
Good to see a counterview Pat
Keep posting

mickandpete said:
Racer
Deja vu??
You said to me you traded the Dow back through 10000 in 2000
Is this the start???
Irrationality was the name of the game then

I think the market is always a bit like that!
:confused:

But in 1999/2000 it was so bullish, everything was fantastic, people on tv saying this and that with big price targets.. a lot of the companies are now about 90% down from that level even still or not around anymore. Lots of takeovers, companies doing this and that, 3G auctions etc

Then in 2002-03 there were some violent swings and it seemed like the world was going to end the way they kept looking at the bad news and driving prices down

So at the tops they were seeing everything with rosy specs and at the bottom they couldn't find a good thing anywhere!

Today nothing bad seems to affect the markets, someone on tv this morning saying this is a bull market, when asked about very high costs, oil, slowing consumer spending and inflation he was not worried about that and could see more upside to the markets
The market is not pricing in any risk in my opinion.

I think miners and others that have peformed very well are ones to watch for tops, not meaning trade them or try to pick the top, just observe the sentiment, watch for follow though or lack of it.

Last edited:
Racer said:
Then in 2002-03 there were some violent swings and it seemed like the world was going to end the way they kept looking at the bad news and driving prices down.So at the tops they were seeing everything with rosy specs and at the bottom they couldn't find a good thing anywhere!

Today nothing bad seems to affect the markets, someone on tv this morning saying this is a bull market, when asked about very high costs, oil, slowing consumer spending and inflation he was not worried about that and could see more upside to the markets
The real problem at the moment is that the Dow has lacked any real direction and has therefore failed to establish any trend for 3 months now !:(

During this time the market has consolidated within a 300 pt range (10400 - 10700) and consequently people have been caught out, whether long or short, on sudden whipsaws back to support or resistance.

That's a very difficult market to trade ! :confused: :confused:

mickandpete said:
Good to see a counterview Pat
Keep posting
I think you are missing the point not everyone here is a bad trader at least I dont think so but it does show that all of have the same thought about the present market conditions and even my technical analysis and my News trading is not helping me in the slightest.Any bad news seems to be totally disregarded by the traders...to me crude is no more a concern for the traders.Also technical levels.....I do not want to go there...
I am not trying to be negative and fill this forum with doom and gloom but just giving you the reality...
What is next for the DOW...
I think we will test the 10630 level again before 7th or 8th of October ie next week and then them we will have another correction one last one before going up at the end of October all the way to December.

:?: