Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

NEW YORK (CNN/Money)
Concerns about losses in the hedge fund industry also persist, and along with the threat energy prices pose to sustained stock gains, could prop up Treasury prices.

"There are some fears about inflation but people are even more concerned about what's happening in the corporate credit market," said Gerald Lucas, chief Treasury and agency strategist at Banc of America Securities, told Reuters.

Capital inflows into the U.S. declined in March to the lowest level since October 2003.

The government said $45.7 billion of net inflows into U.S. securities was not enough on its own to cover the month's $55 billion trade deficit. Economists had anticipated a net inflow of between $60 billion and $85 billion.

Racer said:
."... but people are even more concerned about what's happening in the corporate credit market," said Gerald Lucas, chief Treasury and agency strategist at Banc of America Securities, told Reuters.

"We'd like to flush out a few more sellers so that we can soak up the remaining supply of B-rated corporate bonds as cheaply as possible, then I'll ask the PPT to engineer a nasty bear squeeze and be able to cash in on all those short-term calls we just bought in the financial sector near Dow 10100 ," said Gerald Lucas, rubbing his paws gleefully.

Someone who knows about economics ought to offer a better translation. $1 to the best entry. :)

Markets appear to have put Friday's bizarre divergence behind them. I think that is the first time I have seen an accumulation day on one and a distribution day on the other in the same day.

SPX confirmed its move above its 200 day sma and also managed a decent close above the 1163 level. Overhead there is the 50 day sma currently at 1174.

INDU after pausing around the 10,200 level was able to manage a good move and close above it. Still well below its 50 and 200 day sma's.

COMPQ pushed through its 50 day sma and has closed right beneath the 200 day sma currently at 1995

SOX confirmed the breach of its 50 and 200 day sma although it failed to take out Fridays high.

Volume was very light on both markets, lower than Friday by about 15% on the NYSE and 24% on the Nasdaq internals finished the day strongly positive.

Volume was very light on both markets, lower than Friday by about 15% on the NYSE

RT would that suggest that todays rally wasn't that solid on the basis of volume?

I can see more upward action this week.

Today's leader was HD which is reporting .....tomorrow.....hmm I wonder what will happen then? That 'will' be interesting!

frugi said:
"We'd like to flush out a few more sellers so that we can soak up the remaining supply of B-rated corporate bonds as cheaply as possible, then I'll ask the PPT to engineer a nasty bear squeeze and be able to cash in on all those short-term calls we just bought in the financial sector near Dow 10100 ," said Gerald Lucas, rubbing his paws gleefully.

:LOL: :LOL:

Nice job.

Yeah I wouldn't mind his job either, apart from the hours and the toll on my conscience :LOL:

Cheers Cly ;)

user said:
RT would that suggest that todays rally wasn't that solid on the basis of volume?

I can see more upward action this week.

As you know nothing in the market is ever set in concrete, but that said for me todays volume is a red flag, today was not an accumulation day as it did not occur on higher volume.You still have to respect that decent gains were made across the board, of the sectors I watch only gold and oil were down, but for now I would not get excited about the upside until I see some gains on decent volume ie accumulation days. Just my view though.

The storm and the crash on c4 now
I remember seeing whatshisname on telly switching on the new system and it went all red behind him. LOL

But yes I remember that week as well.. glad I sold up a lot in July that year, but still not so good to watch it happen. One person on the program tonight said he usually was max invested and watched it go to nothing within a very short time. He mentioned burn out, yes, I know that.

Racer said:
NEW YORK (CNN/Money)
Concerns about losses in the hedge fund industry also persist, and along with the threat energy prices pose to sustained stock gains, could prop up Treasury prices.

"There are some fears about inflation but people are even more concerned about what's happening in the corporate credit market," said Gerald Lucas, chief Treasury and agency strategist at Banc of America Securities, told Reuters.

Capital inflows into the U.S. declined in March to the lowest level since October 2003.

The government said $45.7 billion of net inflows into U.S. securities was not enough on its own to cover the month's $55 billion trade deficit. Economists had anticipated a net inflow of between $60 billion and $85 billion.

http://www.ustreas.gov/tic/mfh.txt

Of the $45b posted, Carribbean Banking Centres were the biggest gain m o m with an increase of $33b.

Dollar ponzi scheme ?

roguetrader said:
For those that follow the daily volume, here's how we did.
Dear Roguetrader

probaly a basic question. Where do you get your volume data from?

Morning everyone,

My thoughts on today are (remember I'm new at this - so don't be too hard on me) that we will probably see an initial retesting of the 10200 mark, but I believe this will hold firm. It took the index quite a big of struggling to surpass this level and that should give it good support.

Volume yesterday was lighter than the previous 2 trading days at 18,568,600, indicating that it may not be the buyers pushing the index up, rather an absence of sellers from the room.

The RSI is still at a halfway point, though showing an upward trend and the MACD is crossing to go into positive territory.

After the initial dip to retest 10,200, it is my feeling that we could well see the 10,300 mark touched in trading today.

These are my thoughts anyway - besides getting it right yesterday was probably just beginners luck. :cheesy:

orky said:
Dear Roguetrader

probaly a basic question. Where do you get your volume data from?

Try Yahoo for volume.

http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/hp?s=^DJI

Sorry to but in, as I've just seen the question was addressed to RT. (Sorry RT).

Begginers luck

JillyB said:
Morning everyone,

My thoughts on today are (remember I'm new at this - so don't be too hard on me) that we will probably see an initial retesting of the 10200 mark, but I believe this will hold firm. It took the index quite a big of struggling to surpass this level and that should give it good support.

Volume yesterday was lighter than the previous 2 trading days at 18,568,600, indicating that it may not be the buyers pushing the index up, rather an absence of sellers from the room.

The RSI is still at a halfway point, though showing an upward trend and the MACD is crossing to go into positive territory.

After the initial dip to retest 10,200, it is my feeling that we could well see the 10,300 mark touched in trading today.

These are my thoughts anyway - besides getting it right yesterday was probably just beginners luck. :cheesy:
I doubt that luck had anything to do with your correct analysis of the DJ, I would expect that you came to your view of where the market was heading by correctly spotting the various elements that you have learnt to recognise over time. So although I recognise your modesty, there is no doubt that if you remain focused and determined enough together with the right guidance periodically, there will be continued progress. That is providing of course that you choose your advisers very carefully so as not to stray too far from reality.
Just for the sake of interest, as you know nothing is cast in stone, I might also expect to see 10300 indeed 10320 is not impossible, dependant on the early signs at start. If 255 is breached with real support, however the professionals will decide!
Have a good day, kind regards.

It seems that those that wanted higher volatility have definitely got their wish. 100 point movements in the DOW are now becoming a regular occurrence and thus make day trading more viable. With PPI and Housing Data to be be released today, we might well be in for more fireworks.

CMC are quoting the DOW off 40 and the S&P off 4. The DAX is currently off 20 and the CAC off 12 . Even the FTSE is now only up 5 points.

JillyB said:
Morning everyone,

Well following my response #4039 to your post on Sunday it's a :) for you and a :( for me.
Well done - it's not just beginners luck, we all have to interpret the signals in our own way and this time you were right.

Good luck in your futures trades.

WASHINGTON (MarketWatch) -- Home Depot reported net earnings of $1.25 billion, or 57 cents a share, for the first quarter ended May 1, up from $1.1 billion, or 49 cents, earned in the same period a year ago. The home-improvement retailing giant's quarterly sales rose 8.1%, reaching $18.97 billion, as comparable-store sales increased 2.1%. Wall Street, on average, had been looking for earnings of 55 cents a share on sales of nearly $19.26 billion, according to estimates compiled by Thomson First Call. The company said it set several records during the latest quarter, as the average ticket totaled $58.25, gross margin widened to 33.5% and operating margin came in at 10.5%. The company also said it expects to sell its interest in the underlying real estate of 15 Expo Design Center stores that are to be closed. In addition, Home Depot restated its full-year forecast calling for sales growth of 9% to 12% and earnings per share growth of 10% to 14%. Shares of the Dow Jones Industrial Average component rose $1.08, or 3%, to $37.37 in Monday's dealings.