Where is the Dow & others heading in 2005?

dont know.. i dont look at volume generally..

but... it looked a bit lower than yesterday all told

11-May-05 18,349,700 10,300.25
10-May-05 18,896,600 10,281.11
9-May-05 18,570,200 10,384.34

FC

user said:
Possibly....

What was the volume like yesterday.....convincing for the days gains?

Volume lower than previous day at 18,349,700 according to Yahoo. Lower than average and not really supporting the upward trend.

you know what, i think we are going to hit our 100,000th view today... 96k and counting thus far :)

wonder if we can get to the million by the end of the year..

fc

wonder if we can get to the million by the end of the year..

Wonder if my account will hit a million by the end of the year...

hmmmm lets see what the charts are saying!

Matt321 said:

Interesting commentary - thanks for posting it. He is pretty convincing about an upside today !

On the other hand Charlie says

"Does (yesterdays) afternoon recovery of the mornings heavy losses and the positive closes translate for the begining of an upday tomorrow ? I don't believe so ! The normal daytraders look as though they have been encouraged to hold their positions overnight, normally a no-no. Poor performance in the morning would encourage them to sell, exacerbating a reversal of significance. The cyborgs aka 'fast hedgies' prefer to crash the markets so todays up action is probably enough for them. Just enough to suck in "the dentists" who are crying for a sign of an upwards move"

There you have it - two diametrically opposed views. Be interesting to see who is right today !

As always the 'experts' disagree so some will be right and others wrong.
Sigh - twas ever thus :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

interesting Kirisseau.. i want to know where he gets information like this?

"The normal daytraders look as though they have been encouraged to hold their positions overnight,"

or even gems like this...

"Poor performance in the morning would encourage them to sell"

still, he does have a way with worms..:-

"The cyborgs aka 'fast hedgies' prefer to crash the markets so todays up action is probably enough for them. Just enough to suck in "the dentists" who are crying for a sign of an upwards move""

come on, get off that fence!!!!!

then again, it is going sideways largely today...

Wal-Mart profit misses forecast
Thursday May 12, 7:09 am ET

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (NYSE:WMT - News) on Thursday reported a weaker-than-expected operating profit and said second-quarter results would miss Wall Street forecasts as steep energy prices and wet weather cut spring sales.

down 4.63% in pre market

Racer said:
would miss Wall Street forecasts as steep energy prices and wet weather cut spring sales.

i see. and people usually have their heating on in spring do they?

nor do they have umbrellas in the US?

Matriarch: Honey the kids are screaming for tea, but we dont have any food in the cupboards
Patriarch: Sorry love, id love to nip to Wal-mart in the car to feed our offspring, but it looks like it might rain. Cant you improvise?
Matriarch: Sure thing, cardboard ok with you?
Patriarch: sounds delicious. do you have any ketchup?

which is why im surprised they blame the wet weather on sales..seeing as the majority of Wal-marts are out-of-town and therefore require a car to get to.

odd.

corporate bull$****. just how we like it...

Thanks for the support guys....

I have posted an attachment with two Dow charts containing some analysis.

Goodluck all with todays session.

Attachments

• DOW Business.doc
    39 KB · Views: 218
LION63 said:
It might 'seem' to take longer to make money but in reality it is shorter. The longer your trading time frame, the higher the percentage of winning trades should become. As such, over a period of a year or so, you should show higher returns than if you are trading very short time frames. Apart from that, if you are trading something like the DOW, you are unlikely to average more than 25 points per day (unless you are very good), but if you were trading it on a weekly basis you would probably average in excess of 150 points. Although the difference might seem marginal it does add up. It is also less stressful.

I know from experience with individual shares that the longer the time frame the bigger the returns and the difference is quite substantial.

Looking at the Dow yesterday, it went down over 100 points and then back up over 100 points. So there was over 200 points movement in the day but it closed up just 19 points. I think that is one of the reasons why I prefer intra-day trading, there are just more opertunities to make money. I also find it less stressful when I don't have to hold positions when the markets are closed and I am unable to do anything about it if something happens. As for longer term trading leading to a higher % of winners, I am not convinced about that and have yet to see a good explanation of why that should be the case.

FetteredChinos said:
interesting Kirisseau.. i want to know where he gets information like this?

"The normal daytraders look as though they have been encouraged to hold their positions overnight," or even gems like this...

"Poor performance in the morning would encourage them to sell"

still, he does have a way with worms..:-

"The cyborgs aka 'fast hedgies' prefer to crash the markets so todays up action is probably enough for them. Just enough to suck in "the dentists" who are crying for a sign of an upwards move""

come on, get off that fence!!!!!

then again, it is going sideways largely today...

I don't write it so I don't know :?:

He's not really on the fence today though since he is predicting a down day.

hmm, i thought he was being a bit cagey about it.. words such as "should" and "probably"...

he is being paid to come out with a call. not a politicians response..

and anyway, by calling down he has about a 55% chance of being right...