When would you say this method is not Working?

* A stage further might be to test for autocorrelation (or more appropriately breakdowns in autocorrelation as an indication that your strategy does not operate most effectively in the current market conditions)

That sounds very interesting, Mr Gecko.

How would you define auto-correlation?

After 5 negative trades it must be something wrong with the plan or a lack of it.

Few negative trades and you have to revise or change your plan. Or somtimes it is just emotional, the planis good but you dont stick with it. I used to do that all the time.

The best way to test your strategy do it live with a experience trader and if you strategy is wrong he will figure it out why and correct you or teach you a better one.

If you know someone that can teach you, fantastic otherwise log on to tradetheeasyway.com

Happy piping

backtest, walkforward. if the live dd is > than 120% of the out of sample dd then pull the system.

odds are the backtest process was done incorrectly or u were unlucky (lower odds) or something significant changed in the market (even lower odds)

ps obviously position sizing has big implications in the whole process

That sounds very interesting, Mr Gecko.

How would you define auto-correlation?

A mathematical representation of the degree of similarity between a given time series and a lagged version of itself over successive time intervals. It is the same as calculating the correlation between two different time series, except that the same time series is used twice - once in its original form and once lagged one or more time periods.

The term can also be referred to as "lagged correlation" or "serial correlation".

When computed, the resulting number can range from +1 to -1. An autocorrelation of +1 represents perfect positive correlation (i.e. an increase seen in one time series will lead to a proportionate increase in the other time series), while a value of -1 represents perfect negative correlation (i.e. an increase seen in one time series results in a proportionate decrease in the other time series).

This value can be useful for computing for security analysis. For example, if you know a stock historically has a high positive autocorrelation value and you witnessed the stock making solid gains over the past several days, you might reasonably expect the movements over the upcoming several days (the leading time series) to match those of the lagging time series and to move upwards.

A mathematical representation of the degree of similarity between a given time series and a lagged version of itself over successive time intervals. It is the same as calculating the correlation between two different time series, except that the same time series is used twice - once in its original form and once lagged one or more time periods.

The term can also be referred to as "lagged correlation" or "serial correlation".

When computed, ...

That would be interesting to code up. How many times do you do it? How do you choose time periods to correlate?

IMHO:

1. 5+ consecutive losers should be looked at. Entirely possible but you should evaluate. I think I posted on here in my early days that I had 8 and was advised to pack up, have a beer and think about it all. Worked a treat as a I realised I didn't know what I was doing because I was trading a plan that required way more screen time than I had at that point.

2. 15% drawdown on account. Entirely possible but you should evaluate. If you're scalping no way. If you're swing trading ok, if you're position trading then this is probably minor.

3. Learn how you/your system behaves over a statistically significant sample of trades (min 50, 100 better) using real money. We all trade differently and you'll find with real money (and I don't mean 50pp) that if you are using any form of discretion that your system will generate quite variable results for a while. Until you can separate how well you execute a trade from how well your account is doing and all the baggage that goes with that, you'll find that results will be odd as you do weird sh1t that comes from protestant work ethics, fear of failure, hating yourself, poor relationship with siblings, you name it......

4. If you get to either point (1) or (2) then stop and evaluate coldly whether you are the problem (discretion) or whether your edge actually exists. Once you think you've figured out what it might be, adjust and start again...

If you find this post patronising, then I apoligise - it's just difficult to tell where you are from your OP