Well Hung Parliament

The charts will foretell the election in advance of any result....and there will be no hung parliament...so there. A hung situation is the worst of all worlds...the public may be stupid...but that would be an act of total mass stupidity...i'm not quite sure we have plumbed those depths yet.

no interest in trading the election itself on the night on betfair then? Could be a scalper's dream I suspect.

Clegg has my vote.
Why ? So far their supposed figures don't in any way add up, the Mansion tax is ridiculous, unworkable and will not fund the amount they claim it will.

Reason why Labour is still in with a chance is because people remember the Tories
Do you really believe this ? There are so many new voters that have no recollection of this. In my view the reason why Labour are in with a chance is because the Tories have not come forward with radical enough policies and are almost the same as Labour.

Tories are bitter vindictive bunch of wet fishes. They are all so ready to turn on each other
Same as Labour then when they thought Gordon was about to be ousted.

eager to give away tax cuts to the rich and cut back on public services.
When tax was reduced to 40% by the Tories it was well known that the government then took more in tax than at any time previously and why was that ? Well those with entrepreneurial ability are more likely to work harder if they know that they are not getting taxed at a higher level. What has been the result of Labour raising the rate to 50% for top earners ? They have actually taken a huge amount less than they thought because those they targeted have managed to find ways to avoid it, some even leaving the country. So what is the answer to this now ? Labour plan to tax anyone who is on 100K or more a year at the same level, ie Doctors etc because the original plan has failed. It is just like a bully in a playground who picks on someone who then leaves so they find someone else to bully instead.

Thatcher scarred the country so badly the thought of another Tory government is what is keeping Brown and labour high on the polls.
You cannot be serious about this because if it were true then the Tories would not have remained in power for 18 years.

We need a manufacturing base - and instead London Taxi's are going to be built in China too. Another smart move by the well informed elite.
I completely agree

Paul

When tax was reduced to 40% by the Tories it was well known that the government then took more in tax than at any time previously and why was that ? Well those with entrepreneurial ability are more likely to work harder if they know that they are not getting taxed at a higher level. What has been the result of Labour raising the rate to 50% for top earners ? They have actually taken a huge amount less than they thought because those they targeted have managed to find ways to avoid it, some even leaving the country. So what is the answer to this now ? Labour plan to tax anyone who is on 100K or more a year at the same level, ie Doctors etc because the original plan has failed. It is just like a bully in a playground who picks on someone who then leaves so they find someone else to bully instead.

Paul,

Punishment taxes on high earners never raise significant revenue - in fact, they're not even intended to. As you say, the disincentive, the loss of ability to the economy, avoidance measures, emigration, reduction in spending and so on always mean that they are not just a waste of time, but actively harmful.

However, these measures are purely political - they are intended to show oi polloi that the rich are getting bashed. That is why sensible governments ensure that there are sufficient loopholes to enable people to avoid most of the effects, until the lunacy can be reversed, once the benefits of the headlines have been banked.

Why ? So far their supposed figures don't in any way add up, the Mansion tax is ridiculous, unworkable and will not fund the amount they claim it will.

They are the only honest party on tax. No other way out of this mess without raising taxes. I prefer visible fair taxes then complicated taxation model that the rich evade and poor meet...

Do you really believe this ? There are so many new voters that have no recollection of this. In my view the reason why Labour are in with a chance is because the Tories have not come forward with radical enough policies and are almost the same as Labour.

We have very much an aging popullation.

Same as Labour then when they thought Gordon was about to be ousted.Not to the same degree. How many leaders have the tories had of late?

Not necessarily so. Tax revenue depends on level of economic activity. Not tax rate. If DSS payments fall they pay less out and with more people working make more revenue.

It is a total fallacy to say people work harder if tax rate is less. On the contrary people work less hard the richer they become. They subsitute leisure time for work time. The difference is they make money work for them. This has always been my life long experience. Management suck big time. They don't always get there on merit either. Old boys network not supply and demand.

I'm surprised you are pushing this old nonsense. How can anyone justify Fred the Shreds golden hand shake - pension or rewards for failure??? This is the UK all over. Politicians, managment - lawyers, pension fund managers the lot of em and anyone else in any level of authority. Council leaders - Look at Boris's deputies?

What is the punishment for all this fraud, theft and deceit.

Nought.

You cannot be serious about this because if it were true then the Tories would not have remained in power for 18 years.

I am very serious. Look at Blair and Bush they were re-elected the mass public are non-thinking dumbed down media led dim wits. People get the picture in slow motion after a decade as to leaders have made a difference or not.

I completely agree

Paul

Torries and Labour have failed the UK for the last 60 years I reckon. Time for Liberals to be given a chance. I'm voting for them because the only cure for UK debt and future is higher taxation. Anything else is lies, deceit and self interest feeding on greed.

Finally, as for the Pound - Evening Standard had an article this evening which I thought was spot on. It is media hype. Such news will only have temporary blib on the exchange rate.

Long term BoP and interest rates more fundamental to it's value than any budget decision or political manevoures.

Well the polls showed conservatives widening their lead in the polls this weekend and at the open GBP jumped higher across the board including big stop loss selling in EURGBP so its pretty clear what the market likes.

I stand to win £20,000 is the libdems win the most seats. Clearly this wasnt one of my better judgements. I did this because I was hoping the sun would back them instead of the Tories. It represented great value at the time. It wasnt inconcievable was it. Imagine if they had, a swing of 4m voters straight away. I then looked at the votometer and saw that they actually need about 46% of the vote to win most seats,how can that be fair. The tories need about that to get a majority.Labour cann get a majority on aboutb 42%.

I stand to win £20,000 is the libdems win the most seats. Clearly this wasnt one of my better judgements. I did this because I was hoping the sun would back them instead of the Tories. It represented great value at the time.

The influence of The Sun is not what it was back in the 80s. You would now need the Daily Mail (which is The Sun for the new millenium) to be backing the LibDems to have any chance at all but it is clear that voters are being much less influenced by the tabloids than they once were.

It wasnt inconcievable was it
[/quote]

In my view it was completely inconceivable. With the exception of marginal seats, a vote for the LibDems is considered a wasted vote.

Paul

Well the polls showed conservatives widening their lead in the polls this weekend and at the open GBP jumped higher across the board including big stop loss selling in EURGBP so its pretty clear what the market likes.

Yes, the chinless wonders in the city love Dave Snooty and his pals :LOL:

Yes, the chinless wonders in the city love Dave Snooty and his pals

The same would have happened if Labour had a similar lead over the Tories. It is not about preferring Cameron over Brown but about having a clear winner at the election and not a hung parliament that would be the absolute worst case scenario possible in my view.

Paul

Is anyone placing any bets on this election? Might as well get some fun out of it.

Where are the best places to bet on it?

Betfair have individual constituencies, got libdem to win Edinburgh south for £5 - might just green up. Lots of betfair referral schemes to if you want to bet with/against friends. They also always have the £25 cashback thing running.

They also run other things like seats won predictions etc.

Phil

EDIT:

Pretty cool widget here showing who thinks what's going to happen, of course you could just view the market!
Betfair Politics

Last edited: