Virtual Private Servers - to run EAs

I have been trying to track down a friendly IT person to go through the security bits on the VPS with me.

I do have the auto login setup with a separate non admin account if that makes a difference. Just allowed full access to the single custom directory where MT4 is installed.

I would have thought that without physical access to the VPS machine it would be difficult to read the password out of the registry? If it is that is accessible then surely a hacker could just edit the registry and kill the server even if the password was not in plain text.

£15 sounds reasonable if it is more secure. I set things up in a bit of a hurry before having to "go live" and go on holiday.

Thanks for the advice; it is definitely something to look into.

There are a number of ways that an attacker could access your registry if he really wanted to. However it's more likely to happen when you unwittingly install a piece of software on your machine that is not what it seems (for example a bit of malware). All programs that get installed on a PC have access to the registry, so it is at this point that an attacker could retrieve your password if it's stored in plain text in the registry.

some valuable techy information for the next level/gen trading here... but look at 1and1 https://order.1and1.co.uk/xml/order...p&__lf=Static&linkOrigin=Server&linkId=weiter

They have a facility or app where you can check the servers on your smart phone.

Not much use when you're on holiday though! ;)

Seriously though, I've heard good things about 1and1 and this app you refer to does look useful. However what I'm trying to achieve is peace of mind and as much resilience as possible.

Being notified when the server or MT4 goes down is all well and good, but if you're not in a position to do anything about it then the information is of limited use.

For example I want to be able to go on holiday for 2 weeks knowing that both my VPS and MT4 will restart in the event of a crash or reboot.

This is why I'm putting a bit of effort into solving this situation.

Not much use when you're on holiday though! ;)

Seriously though, I've heard good things about 1and1 and this app you refer to does look useful. However what I'm trying to achieve is peace of mind and as much resilience as possible.

Being notified when the server or MT4 goes down is all well and good, but if you're not in a position to do anything about it then the information is of limited use.

For example I want to be able to go on holiday for 2 weeks knowing that both my VPS and MT4 will restart in the event of a crash or reboot.

This is why I'm putting a bit of effort into solving this situation.

Yes, very true... i know what you mean now.... same thing happened to me on the Royal Caribbean cruise ship few yrs back... took my laptop, paid for the internet... wasn't too great, one eye on the screen the other entertaining the kids etc... can't enjoy the holiday.... so now i just don't trade when on holiday...

However, what you are setting up here looks very promising and want to try this whilst on my Aug hols ... all Automated and not to worry... unless i get back and check my ac is blown out :-0

But im sure that won't happen...

I've been running on 1and1 for almost a month. No issues and no unplanned reboots yet.
Back in civilisation on Sunday. I would have done better to just switching everything off for the last two weeks though.

going vps today on 1and1 with SML.... anything i need to know when setting up? and is it straight forward to set up?

going vps today on 1and1 with SML.... anything i need to know when setting up? and is it straight forward to set up?

It's fairly easy MaxiV.
Lessons I learnt the hard way:
1) You can copy & paste files between your local machine and the VPS.
2) Install MT4 as the admin user. (do not copy your MT4 directory over, just save your profile and open this on the fresh install after putting your EAs in the right places)
3) Make certain the user you log in as has full read/write access to the folder you install MT4 into or your settings will go missing every time you shut MT4 down.
4) Install MT4 somewhere else other than the programs directory. Might be ok but I had hassles with permissions to this and installed it to c:\SLM_MT4 as a fix.

Most of that 2/3/4 is probably only relevant if you are creating a seperate non admin user to run mt4 and leave logged in.

When using a VPS it's absolutely essential to get some resilience sorted out to ensure that MT4 automatically restarts after an unexpected program crash or Windows reboot.

See my post earlier in this thread:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-net-trap/121880-virtual-private-servers-run-eas-5.html#post1576078

I'm also planning to write a separate post detailing MT4 optimisation to ensure it keeps running with minimal system resource overhead.

Watch this space...

When using a VPS it's absolutely essential to get some resilience sorted out to ensure that MT4 automatically restarts after an unexpected program crash or Windows reboot.

See my post earlier in this thread:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-net-trap/121880-virtual-private-servers-run-eas-5.html#post1576078

I'm also planning to write a separate post detailing MT4 optimisation to ensure it keeps running with minimal system resource overhead.

Watch this space...

ok this is not as straight forward as i thought... how do i download MT4 onto 1&1 VPS??

Last edited:
Download the install file to your local PC then copy and paste it to the VPS.

ok this is not as straight forward as i thought... how do i download MT4 onto 1&1 VPS??

Ok... figured it out... this pdf helped...

Attachments

• VSA BASICS from MTM.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 530
Finally done it... and look what time it is... moment of truth in the morning....:sleep:

Just out of interest Maxi how much are you paying for your 1and1 VPS if you don't mind me asking?

I considered using them but they wanted an extra £10 a month for Windows 2008 Server Standard or Enterprise edition. That's in addition to the basic £20/month fee.

My understanding is that their standard VPS offering only has Windows 2008 Web Server edition, which as far as I know will not run MT4?

Just out of interest Maxi how much are you paying for your 1and1 VPS if you don't mind me asking?

I considered using them but they wanted an extra £10 a month for Windows 2008 Server Standard or Enterprise edition. That's in addition to the basic £20/month fee.

My understanding is that their standard VPS offering only has Windows 2008 Web Server edition, which as far as I know will not run MT4?

I pay £19.99 i believe... i have known a few people how use them and they are one of the biggest and reliable. they also have an app to check the servers off your phone (yet to use it). As far as Win 2008 web serv' ed... i thought as long as its windows and not lunix all is good.... well i gor it working finally 1am in the morning... i did email them for support... but was late and i sorted it by then. But will see what they come up with.

I suspect that that is not the PDF you intended to attach.

Ow nuts... your right... I'll keep it there... some good info if you want to check...

Here's what I should have attached (the file names are similar)

Attachments

• vps_guide_for_mt4.pdf
    600.4 KB · Views: 929
Ow nuts... your right... I'll keep it there... some good info if you want to check...

Here's what I should have attached (the file names are similar)

haha. yes, I've already saved it to my "stuff to read" folder. Thanks :)

On a slightly different note, I've just registered with these guys to track my account.
http://www.mt4i.com
Was using myfxbook but mt4i don't use flash so the website will work on my blackberry and they get the date format right in their export to .csv functions. Worth a look.

They have a free monitoring ea that you can use to restart mt4 if it crashes on your vps, not tried it yet myself.

how odd.... online it say 19.99... now I get an email saying they are changing the cost to £ 23.99!!!:(

That was a bit sneeky.... i have enquired about this... esp as it is still 19.99 online!?!?!?

how odd.... online it say 19.99... now I get an email saying they are changing the cost to £ 23.99!!!:(

That was a bit sneeky.... i have enquired about this... esp as it is still 19.99 online!?!?!?

19.99 + VAT @ 20% gets you to 23.99ish

They could make it clearer that is is an ex VAT price though.