Virtual Private Servers - to run EAs

I've been using swtech for a littl eove ra month and it has rebooted three times. They said for an addtional 4 euros a month they would send me a sms whenever it reboots, which seems reasonable as their price of 14 euros a month for the server is very competitive. However, I would rather not have so many reboots to begin with, so think I am now in the market for a new VPS provider.

Surferking, have server resets been an issue on 1&1 ?

Why pay when it should tell you for free or at least email broadcast doesn't cost a thing. Also, any rebooting should be done on the weekend for any maintenance unless its really necessary... unless they have a duff system.

Why pay when it should tell you for free or at least email broadcast doesn't cost a thing. Also, any rebooting should be done on the weekend for any maintenance unless its really necessary... unless they have a duff system.

Looks like they do; what you get for going for lowest cost providers I guess. So did you get the 1&1 deal? Any impressions of 1&1 ?

Looks like they do; what you get for going for lowest cost providers I guess. So did you get the 1&1 deal? Any impressions of 1&1 ?

I have had a couple of friends in the business who have used them and have positive reviews about them. They are well established and one of the biggest too as well as being helpful.

I am to go live with VPS at the end of this month... will keep you all updated.

I've been using swtech for a littl eove ra month and it has rebooted three times. They said for an addtional 4 euros a month they would send me a sms whenever it reboots, which seems reasonable as their price of 14 euros a month for the server is very competitive. However, I would rather not have so many reboots to begin with, so think I am now in the market for a new VPS provider.

Add a shortcut to your MT4 program in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. Starts OK after a reboot with the EAs running as before. Seems to work OK on mine (swtech)

Add a shortcut to your MT4 program in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup. Starts OK after a reboot with the EAs running as before. Seems to work OK on mine (swtech)

This seems to be a great idea. Have worked well for you in a real reboot?
AM

This seems to be a great idea. Have worked well for you in a real reboot?
AM

You will have to switch off the magic number check for that to work if the system reboots unexpectedly without shutting down MT4 properly.

Never heard of the reboot issue on 1and1 but we use dedicated servers with them so it may be different with VPS instances. I think if you try and don't like within 30 days they'll refund you anyway.

That should work, unless of corse you have any other GBPUSD systems/trades that are likely to be running at the same time.

Yes, I have MMI and TMMI2 running in two charts. But I believe this will be no problem because I am sure they have different EAIdents and the problem will be only due to a suddenly reboot, it is'nt?
I have a Swtech VPS from four months without any reboot problem, but just in case.

Last edited:
Never heard of the reboot issue on 1and1 but we use dedicated servers with them so it may be different with VPS instances. I think if you try and don't like within 30 days they'll refund you anyway.

Im most prob going to go with 1and1... but you mentioned the Dedicated Server....

Whats the difference between the Dedicated Server and the Virtual Server and whats the advantage of that one over the other? (besides one costing more)

Last edited:
Im most prob going to go with 1and1... but you mentioned the Dedicated Server....

Whats the difference between the Dedicated Server and the Virtual Server and whats the advantage of that one over the other? (besides one costing more)

Dedicated server you have the exclusive use of the whole rack unit, with a VPS there will be many server instances on each rack but theoretically you have the same OS and a minimum of allocated resources. We use them for web hosting but you don't need dedicated, VPS is all you need. Personally I don't use a VPS, I'd rather have my own dedicated machine at home on my broadband connection since then I can fix anything directly.

Dedicated server you have the exclusive use of the whole rack unit, with a VPS there will be many server instances on each rack but theoretically you have the same OS and a minimum of allocated resources. We use them for web hosting but you don't need dedicated, VPS is all you need. Personally I don't use a VPS, I'd rather have my own dedicated machine at home on my broadband connection since then I can fix anything directly.

So what when you go on holiday? what would you do then?

I still have a thing with using my own electricity and machine and router running 24/7...(is it cost effective? and what if the broadband is down?)

I've just setup a vps with 1and1 for work. The work will just run an excel sheet and sit there doing nothing 99% of the time. It is the entry level package with 1&1, I forget the exact details but it is an ok spec for £15/month.

I don't know enough (anything to be honest) about setting up servers so I'm certain I'll find something I still need to do or did the wrong way.

Getting MT4 installed and working was a bit of fun but probably more of my own making by not wanting to run the MT4 as the admin user logged in all the time.

I have put the MT4 shortcut in the startup folder and set the auto login. Just tested a reboot and all works fine. Except for the EA ident check bit needing to be switched off...

Now we wait and see how long it takes for someone else at work to ask for a login...

So what when you go on holiday? what would you do then?

I still have a thing with using my own electricity and machine and router running 24/7...(is it cost effective? and what if the broadband is down?)

I just leave the computer on, I use Macs so I never really worry about reliability. I don't think the broadband has gone down in the last year, a good quality router should reconnect if there's an issue anyway. Servers also have their limitations, for me I'd rather spend the same money on more reliable home kit that I own, I can still connect to it from anywhere.

I just leave the computer on, I use Macs so I never really worry about reliability. I don't think the broadband has gone down in the last year, a good quality router should reconnect if there's an issue anyway. Servers also have their limitations, for me I'd rather spend the same money on more reliable home kit that I own, I can still connect to it from anywhere.

You have a point there... i think I'll do that when i move house and settle; set up an office with my own workstation. But for now VPS will be great.

Just thought I'd post some info on how to keep your MT4 running sweet on a VPS.

Personally I've had quite a few issues with both MT4 crashing and the VPS randomly rebooting. When you're running EAs and trying to make money this can be very annoying!

Even if you've got a very reliable VPS provider your VPS will still go down occasionally, and there's no way that any provider would cover your financial losses in the event that your trades were compromised as a result of MT4 not running for whatever reason.

So without further ado:

One commonly advised way is to simply add MT4 to the "Startup" folder to ensure that it's started each time the server is rebooted. However this doesn't work on VPS servers because Windows doesn't execute these programs until you've logged-in to your REMOTE DESKTOP session. By that time MT4 could've been down for hours.

There are also applications available such as "Always Up" and "FireDaemon" which enable you to run MT4 as a Windows SERVICE rather than as an application. Although this will ensure that MT4 restarts after it crashes or after the VPS is rebooted, it is not an ideal solution. The main reason is that some apps are not designed to be run as Windows services and can play havoc with memory allocation.

I think I've found a better solution:

The solution involves the following steps:

1. Ensure MT4 is set to "Save your password" and "Automatically log-in at startup"; to do this:
- In the MT4 account login dialog, tick the "Save account information" option.
- In the MT4 Tools/Options dialog, select Server tab and ensure "Keep personal settings and data at startup" is ticked.

2. Purchase and install "LogonExpert" from http://www.logonexpert.com. This app will ensure that the VPS always logs-in to Windows after a reboot.

3. Locate the shortcut icon you use to launch your Remote Desktop Connection and replace only the word "mstsc" in the "Target" field with the following text string:

mstsc.exe /v:servername /admin

(where "servername" should be replaced with the IP address of your VPS).

Doing this will ensure that you get logged into the main console session, rather than the remote desktop session. If you don't complete this step, LogonExpert will not work on your Remote Desktop session.

3. Install "Application Monitor" by Jockersoft (donationware) at http://www.jockersoft.com/english/appmonitor_index.php. You can give it a list of applications to constantly monitor. If it discovers the application isn't running it will restart it.

4. Add MT4 to the list in "Application Monitor". Set it to check at regular intervals, say 5 minutes or similar.

5. Add Application Monitor to your startup folder.

Simples!

Now MT4 will not only be restarted every time it crashes, but also every time the VPS is rebooted.

Just thought I'd post some info on how to keep your MT4 running sweet on a VPS.

Personally I've had quite a few issues with both MT4 crashing and the VPS randomly rebooting. When you're running EAs and trying to make money this can be very annoying!

Even if you've got a very reliable VPS provider your VPS will still go down occasionally, and there's no way that any provider would cover your financial losses in the event that your trades were compromised as a result of MT4 not running for whatever reason.

So without further ado:

One commonly advised way is to simply add MT4 to the "Startup" folder to ensure that it's started each time the server is rebooted. However this doesn't work on VPS servers because Windows doesn't execute these programs until you've logged-in to your REMOTE DESKTOP session. By that time MT4 could've been down for hours.

There are also applications available such as "Always Up" and "FireDaemon" which enable you to run MT4 as a Windows SERVICE rather than as an application. Although this will ensure that MT4 restarts after it crashes or after the VPS is rebooted, it is not an ideal solution. The main reason is that some apps are not designed to be run as Windows services and can play havoc with memory allocation.

I think I've found a better solution:

The solution involves the following steps:

1. Ensure MT4 is set to "Save your password" and "Automatically log-in at startup"; to do this:
- In the MT4 account login dialog, tick the "Save account information" option.
- In the MT4 Tools/Options dialog, select Server tab and ensure "Keep personal settings and data at startup" is ticked.

2. Purchase and install "LogonExpert" from http://www.logonexpert.com. This app will ensure that the VPS always logs-in to Windows after a reboot.

3. Locate the shortcut icon you use to launch your Remote Desktop Connection and replace only the word "mstsc" in the "Target" field with the following text string:

mstsc.exe /v:servername /admin

(where "servername" should be replaced with the IP address of your VPS).

Doing this will ensure that you get logged into the main console session, rather than the remote desktop session. If you don't complete this step, LogonExpert will not work on your Remote Desktop session.

3. Install "Application Monitor" by Jockersoft (donationware) at http://www.jockersoft.com/english/appmonitor_index.php. You can give it a list of applications to constantly monitor. If it discovers the application isn't running it will restart it.

4. Add MT4 to the list in "Application Monitor". Set it to check at regular intervals, say 5 minutes or similar.

5. Add Application Monitor to your startup folder.

Simples!

Now MT4 will not only be restarted every time it crashes, but also every time the VPS is rebooted.

You could do the auto login for free on the VPS in the same way as the auto start on your own PC as described in post 7942 here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...ml#post1437586

//relevant section//
Go to start and then run and type "control userpasswords2"
Uncheck the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option for your account.
You will be prompted to enter the password, check that you are setting it for the correct user.
//

I have tested this on windows server 2008, works ok.
This is only a login (and startup folder run) fix for VPS restarts and will not help for MT4 crashes. Steps 3, 4 & 5 described by Goldfinger will sort that out for you.
Thanks for this one Goldfinger. (y)

You could do the auto login for free on the VPS in the same way as the auto start on your own PC as described in post 7942 here:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex-net-trap/fore...ml#post1437586

//relevant section//
Go to start and then run and type "control userpasswords2"
Uncheck the Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer option for your account.
You will be prompted to enter the password, check that you are setting it for the correct user.
//

I have tested this on windows server 2008, works ok.

Hi Alex, thanks for this.

However there is a good reason for not using this method, and why I've chosen to use the logonexpert app, even though it costs a bit of money (only £15 though to be fair).

The reason is security. The method you've suggested stores the admin password in plain text format in the registry, making it easy for a potential attacker to get your user name and password from the registry both locally or remotely.

In contrast, the logonexpert app encrypts the password with 256-bit AES encryption. That's what you're paying for when you buy the app.

I have been trying to track down a friendly IT person to go through the security bits on the VPS with me.

I do have the auto login setup with a separate non admin account if that makes a difference. Just allowed full access to the single custom directory where MT4 is installed.

I would have thought that without physical access to the VPS machine it would be difficult to read the password out of the registry? If it is that is accessible then surely a hacker could just edit the registry and kill the server even if the password was not in plain text.

£15 sounds reasonable if it is more secure. I set things up in a bit of a hurry before having to "go live" and go on holiday.

Thanks for the advice; it is definitely something to look into.