US visa for self-employed traders

leovirgo

Hi
I am wondering about moving to US as a self-employed trader. For a British, is it possible to live in the US? What sort of visa is available? E2 type visa may be applicable?
thanks..

I would be looking to do the same thing in the future if all goes well with my trading life. Having looked at moving to the US on many occasions, I think it would be best if you spoke to an immigration lawyer, if you are serious that is. They will give you accurate answers and may be able to help you get in quicker. I know the Americans don't like giving jobs away to other nationalities, and the way of being able to stay there is to employ americans, fastest way to the geencard anyway. Hope that helps

Bob

Green cards very tough to come by especially for UK Citizens. I know that you can get an investors visa, this requires an investment in excess of $1million, it depends how succesful your trading is I guess. If you are that keen to move to the USA get an American Gfriend. I am approaching from the other side, I have an American Gfriend she lives here in London with me....not sure if I would like living in the USA.

Alternativley, a British passport holder gets a 90 day visitors visa upon entry to the USA. You could stay for a few months, come back and then go again. I think you will find that getting a residency card is very difficult.

Good luck

Green Card or Green Door? Elvis or Shaky ? These days its just a coin flip..... non?

Less agro to go to Vegas don your best elvis suit and wed a local .....:idea:

Aha huh..... Thank you very much... "Green door whats that secret your keepin..... " ooops thats the British one SKankin stevens..... I mean Shakin Stevens available for weddings at billingsgate fish market for any american ladies who wish to.. become british.

Lets face it we've all seen Gerrard Had a Few in that film...... we could all blag it.. yes..? Whats ya name again love? Krystal Carrington, yes thats it occifer.... :cry:

*****SPECIAL EARLY BIRDS 2008 OFFER... Free COD Fillets for LIfe For all ShakY BRides.*******.

Top that Elvis.....

Attachments

• 3374793020.jpg
    3374793020.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 9,550
  • 2598638696.jpg
    2598638696.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 9,366
Last edited:
Houses in Florida look tempting... bungalow with nice landscaped lawn, swimming pools .. etc. or You'd rather be in cold gloomy grey and windy uk weather.:)

Lean Back

If I can get a bit of this in the US I'd be up for it maybe in a few years. A nice family community and a chance to mix with the indigenous population. deep south or somethin, hmmm St.. Stt... Studville.. :sneaky:

There is something very alluring in this photo to me. the hat, the boots, the posture. Like Ben-Hur for rednecks. Almost like man drawn to look at fire ,oceans, and working the land. Yeah bit of me that is. And q Banjo music... yeeee haaaaa...

I dont like Florida the houses blow over too easily. Drop out in Georgia might be a larf.

Attachments

• am3.jpg
    am3.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 9,356
australia mate, thats the place to go

The standard of living is far higher in the US plus it is a lot easier to get back to the UK to see friends and family.

In answer to the original question, NO you can not get a visa if you are self employed unless you have over $1 million cash invested.

Hmmmm......Wet and Cold London....or a beach in Florida....Not exactly a difficult decision !! Hence my gfriend (american) who lives here with me wants to move home....more than likely dragging my unfortunate ass with her !!

Hmmmm......Wet and Cold London....or a beach in Florida....Not exactly a difficult decision !! Hence my gfriend (american) who lives here with me wants to move home....more than likely dragging my unfortunate ass with her !!
Seems your ass may be more fortunate than you in those circumstances.

Is there any form of quarantine involved?

Well if you want to work you better make her your wife before you leave.

Well if you want to work you better make her your wife before you leave.

yes....Been with her for 2 years....still getting cold feet over the whole marriage deal. But yes in order to get a work visa you need to be married.

Morning All,

I am aware this was posted 2+ years ago but did anyone ever find out about this? Is it possible for a UK citizen to be granted a VISA to work as self employed trader in the US? I am not interested in a permanent residency, more 3 - 5 years.

Did anyone find out if the E2 visa applies?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Obviously if I was to go through with this, I would seek professional advice but this is in the extremely early stages. In fact, I have only started thinking about it in the past few days.

Cheers,

Morning All,

I am aware this was posted 2+ years ago but did anyone ever find out about this? Is it possible for a UK citizen to be granted a VISA to work as self employed trader in the US? I am not interested in a permanent residency, more 3 - 5 years.

Did anyone find out if the E2 visa applies?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Obviously if I was to go through with this, I would seek professional advice but this is in the extremely early stages. In fact, I have only started thinking about it in the past few days.

Cheers,

What's E2 visa? I think you mean the B1/B2 visa. At present i am thinking of migrating myself. I got a B1/B2 visa on my old passport for 10years, but haven't used it. I would need to find out from the U.S embassy if it is still valid for my new passport. I learnt there are restriction on he B1/B2 visa, such as have paid work while in the U.S. If you have further questions you can do a search on the web.

I have already done a lot of searches on the web and haven't found any definitive answers.
No I mean an E2 Visa, its a non-immigrant visa granted by the US embassy for investors with $1m+. Someone mentioned it on here in a previous post, although I am sure being a trader falls into the category. The main entities that full into this category are buying into US Franchises, purchase of existing businesses etc.
I have found that if you are a Canadian or Mexican alien, you are not permitted to carry out self employed work within the US. Although unsure if this applies to all nationalities.
As I said, if I look further into this, I will seek professional advice.