Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
BBC Business -
Also unemployment goes up!!

Grim picture of UK service sector

Restaurants are suffering from a consumer slowdown and high bills
Britain's service sector shrank in May for the first time in five years, as costs rose and confidence in business prospects fell, a survey has shown.

The Chartered Institute for Purchasing and Supply's index of service sector activity fell to 49.8, from 50.4 in April, the first fall since March 2003.

A figure of less than 50 indicates contraction.

The average rate that lenders are quoting for a two-year fixed-rate mortgage rose from 6.06 per cent in April to 6.27 per cent in May. This rate is for people with a 25% deposit. This is the highest rate for 8 years.I don't know what the figures are for people with less than 25% deposit but they must be paying 6.75% to 7% or they will be by the end of the month.

Last edited:
told you so ... (read back through the threads)

I am interested to know if anyone has any idea of what action the banks will start taking on breach of LTV.. my take is that they are becomming sooo risk averse that they may begin hitting people with re-valuations and Margin calls..

told you so ... (read back through the threads)

I am interested to know if anyone has any idea of what action the banks will start taking on breach of LTV.. my take is that they are becomming sooo risk averse that they may begin hitting people with re-valuations and Margin calls..

margin calls...............
when that happens then it will be it, so many families ruined like the 90s
sad so sad!

well, whilst I think the shift "may" occur, but it is a long long long way...................

where are my loyalties? My roots are from Middle East and Subcontinent, but my bread comes from "GREAT BRITAIN" so my prayers are with UK AND ITS Prosperity!

Yes there will be a Crash in the property market even a meltdown, but as always it will emerge as strong - it will be just an opportunity to buy, and the prosperity will return.

PS - where is your loyalty? India or Great Britain?
Have you passed the TEBBIT test? who do you support in cricket when there is a test match between India Vs England

TEBBIT TEST? Where are my loyalties!
Have I passed the TEBBIT test? NO!!!!!
I support India in a test match, just as so many poms who live down under, but support england, Poms who live in south africa but support england! so how should i be different.

Where are my loyalties - Neither India nor England, my loyalties are for justice, moral values, honesty, love, Gandhian philosophy of non violence ( this is what Hinduism teach! - ) - My loyalty is for one big world with no boundary, no racism, no fighting,

Where will be my loyalty if say UK and India are at war!! - Undoubtedly it will be UK, BUT and only IF it was a JUST war.

Talking of a JUST war, tell me one war Britain has been involved with since the world war, which is "just" - NONE

so you are talking NONSENSE when you talk of the Tebbit test!

margin calls...............
when that happens then it will be it, so many families ruined like the 90s
sad so sad!

Sad indeed... but a possiblity none the less... I have seen much on the news about negative equity.. but nothing about potential margin calls.. personally I would not put it past the banks... (n)

lets face it... if you agreed to lend money to someone based on a ratio then the ratio should be maintained ?? this is obviously a problem in a falling market... :sneaky:

my take is that they are becomming sooo risk averse that they may begin hitting people with re-valuations and Margin calls..

Margin Calls!! - this has never happened, but normbeef, i think this will happen for the first time!

how stupid for lenders to give out 110% morthages!! and equally ludicrous for borrowers to seek 110% mortgage;

BBC NEWS | Business | Many face negative equity
this video will be chiiling for those who are already in negative equity!

Homeowner fears the worst
I really really feel sorry for these innocent guys - they have simply been misled!!
maybe also they were "STUPID, & FOOLISH

BBC NEWS | Business | Homeowner fears the worst

well you homeowners if the going gets tough, remember guys here are waiting with a cheque book!
:) Smile

Re-valuations can't happen because the mortgage (amount borrowed) is fixed. Liability is based on this amount, not the value of the property.

Margin calls appear when one cannot meet liabilities. For mortgages this equates to falling behind in repayments and results in repossession. But to refer to the idea of margin calls is unrealistic. UK banks are well stuffed at the moment with bad exposure without taking on underperforming/non-performing/illiquid/deteriorating assets.

And who gives a fck about the banks?

Grant.

Re-valuations can't happen because the mortgage (amount borrowed) is fixed. Liability is based on this amount, not the value of the property.

Margin calls appear when one cannot meet liabilities. For mortgages this equates to falling behind in repayments and results in repossession. But to refer to the idea of margin calls is unrealistic. UK banks are well stuffed at the moment with bad exposure without taking on underperforming/non-performing/illiquid/deteriorating assets.

Grant.

Very true and there were are number of articles already out about this kind of thing over a month ago. Mass media playing catch up.

Banks in US already turning a blind eye to people +3months behind in payments.

Nor are they taking out repossesion orders as this only excercabates problem.

1. Repossessed houses get valdalised
2. Sold for much below market value
3. Further supresses existing housing stock and bank assets
4. Banks not in the business of selling houses

Samething will happen here as we are seeing events unfold.

Banks and some people who have over extended themselves well and truly stuffed.

We have at least another year if not two of this kind of stuff.

Only now are the dimwits considering interest rate rises. However, as I have said no less than 100,000 times we need tax rises - no bloomin two ways about it.

Tax rises better than interest rate rises which also hurt investment but politicians are all thieving *******s who want to get elected instead of doing right thing.

Ultimately, banks will need to raise rates if they are suppose to stick to being independent and manage a stable economy.

If I was heavily in debt I'd make sure I borrow as much as I could and screw the banks too and then hold my hands up.

I'd repeat the politicians lines "er sorry for my lapse of judgement I'll try and better manage my accounts next time. I've done nothing wrong and see no reason to pay back the money I have already used up!"

Surely if it works on the rich *******s it should work on the poor honest gits.

Politicians screw tax payers -> tax payers screw the banks -> banks screws government policies and thus politicians. Police are in their having a ball being screwed by the politicians too which they keep in power but I won't go there it's too dark, hairy and brown. :mad:

The football is good though.(y)

Atilla,

I should think the treasury is stuffed to the gills with surplus from the its taxes and duties on the ever-increasing price of oil, without the need to consider tax rises.

Grant.

Grant.

Ok thanks... this seems to make some sense except why then do lenders have an LTV ?

Loan to Value --- emphasis "VALUE" --- this is not some finger in the air agreed price at the time.. surely the VALUE in any liquid market can deteriorate ???

Why would a lender not consider this condition when giving out the dosh ???

Someone said on here "banks never make margin calls" they should really say "banks have never made margin calls"

I am not convinced this wont happen... but then I am a skeptical sod... I called BOE interest rate rises about 6 months ago... looks like I might be right after all... :devilish:

Mr Beef,

"Value" in Loan to Value refers the value of the property at the time of the mortgage, not subsequent values. I don't know how the figures wre running over the last boom but an LTV of 125% wasn't unusual, eg house valued at £100,000, mortgage raised at £125,000.

Borrowing more on this basis was predicated (by the banks) on ever-increasing property values and the ability of the mortgagee to repay (credit worthiness). When payments fell behind and property values weakened, the banks were stuffed; they had to repossess - bad for banks, bad for property markets.

Of course, the banks may have been playing it safe lately by specifying an LTV of 90% but even this was somewhat optimistic given the overheated state of the property market.

Grant.

Mr Beef,

"Value" in Loan to Value refers the value of the property at the time of the mortgage, not subsequent values. I don't know how the figures wre running over the last boom but an LTV of 125% wasn't unusual, eg house valued at £100,000, mortgage raised at £125,000.

Borrowing more on this basis was predicated (by the banks) on ever-increasing property values and the ability of the mortgagee to repay (credit worthiness). When payments fell behind and property values weakened, the banks were stuffed; they had to repossess - bad for banks, bad for property markets.

Of course, the banks may have been playing it safe lately by specifying an LTV of 90% but even this was somewhat optimistic given the overheated state of the property market.

Grant.

you might well be correct Grant.. as I am not a mortgage expert ...lol..

But this is exactly my point.... I cannot see that the banks would not consider a re-valuation of the underlying asset.. AT LEAST when the asset is re-mortgaged... (for most people this will be in the next 2 / 5 years as current deals expire)

consider this...
say I lend you 90% for a property at "current market" value of £100,000

so £90,000 lent... with LTV of 90% against 100K

then the property price drops to £90,000... so 10% drop... (not impossible)

With an LTV of 90% you now need to maintain it ... so assuming you only paid interest so far and no capital.. then you owe me... maybe not now ... but if you re-mortgage then yes !!

90% of £90,000 (the new current value) = £81,000 ... HOLD ON... WE LENT YOU £90,000 before??? please can we have £9000 please to be able to maintain the LTV at 90%... (or in other words can we have another 10% deposit please as your has gone)

Even if you are correct... then presuming that your lender will re-mortgage without a valuation you might get away with it (but i doubt it) ... if not.. then you would need to get 100% mortgage from your next lender to be able to afford to re-finance the loan on your own house.. (again in the current market i doubt it)..

The other option is to sit silently on the standard varible rate when your deal expires (if you can afford it)

So in short...
If you are not called by your current lender on re-valuation... then when you move mortgage then you will be called by the next lender on re-valuation, unless they will lend you a much higher LTV than the previous lender..

This is a margin call...!!! is it not ?

This only happens when the housing market falls...!! when the market moves upwards the momentum takes the LTV nicely away from risk... thus it gets ignored !! :-0

So just exactly the opposite of when you get your place re-valued to get some equity out to buy a new car or go on your hols :LOL:

i don't think the banks will have margin calls even when they roll over 2, 3, 5 year fixed mortgages and find out the property is worth 10% less, but even if they did who is going to be able to pay up, no one. This process is going to take some time to work through, 7 years is my best guess, but not every year will be a down year.
The house builders had 2 lots of rights issues in the 90's 91 and 93, some people are talking about the banks having to do the same think this time round. 2008 then again 2010.

However, as I have said no less than 100,000 times we need tax rises - no bloomin two ways about it.

You may well have said this on many occasions and if you have then I have missed the reasons why so can you explain why and in what way it will be of benefit ?

Paul

i don't think the banks will have margin calls even when they roll over 2, 3, 5 year fixed mortgages and find out the property is worth 10% less, but even if they did who is going to be able to pay up, no one. This process is going to take some time to work through, 7 years is my best guess, but not every year will be a down year.
The house builders had 2 lots of rights issues in the 90's 91 and 93, some people are talking about the banks having to do the same think this time round. 2008 then again 2010.

I agree - I don't think banks will issue margin calls, instead most mortgages will probably just go onto their standard variable rate, which will no doubt be a hefty increase on their current fixed rates.

If the mortagee then wants to get another fixed rate deal they will need to stump up the extra cash to maintain the LTV which is in effect a margin call. So my prediction is that most BTL'ers and 100%+ mortgagees will end up on expensive variable rates with no option to change. Some/Many will not be able to afford it and will end up with a repossesion - effectively a margin call again!

It's a mess. All those years of cheap easy credit - now it's time to pay up and I think a large proportion of the population is in for a shock. It won't be so much as keeping up with the Jones's as keeping up with the interest payments.

You may well have said this on many occasions and if you have then I have missed the reasons why so can you explain why and in what way it will be of benefit ?

Paul

Raising taxation has same effect as interest rate rises, to stave off aggregate demand and reduce inflationary pressures.

Reason behind raising taxes is to balance economic growth and inflationary pressures. I reckon the Fed and BoE are giving up on the balance between economic growth and inflation by now giving greater emphasise to the primary objective of controlling runaway inflation - ultimately a bigger thread based on past experience.

To reduce inflationary pressures one needs to take money out of the economy. You do that by raising taxes which means governments should then be able to balance their books as well direct investment to stimulate growth (some may feel Governments are inefficient in spending our taxes).

Ultimately if Governments don't control demand banks will control the supply of money.

Also, when governments can not meet public expenditures they will borrow from the market by issues debt which at higher interest rates mean tax payers have a bigger national debt burden to pay later.

Another problem that ensues is that governments competing to raise money in money markets mean private sector has to compete for funds so we will get higher rates still. This is known as Government crowding out the private sector in trying to raise funds.

IMO tax rises much more preferable to interest rate rises...

Last edited:
I agree - I don't think banks will issue margin calls, instead most mortgages will probably just go onto their standard variable rate, which will no doubt be a hefty increase on their current fixed rates.

If the mortagee then wants to get another fixed rate deal they will need to stump up the extra cash to maintain the LTV which is in effect a margin call. So my prediction is that most BTL'ers and 100%+ mortgagees will end up on expensive variable rates with no option to change. Some/Many will not be able to afford it and will end up with a repossesion - effectively a margin call again!

It's a mess. All those years of cheap easy credit - now it's time to pay up and I think a large proportion of the population is in for a shock. It won't be so much as keeping up with the Jones's as keeping up with the interest payments.

I am glad to see that a few are seeing the picture here... although perhaps we dont see a Technical Margin call per se... then perhaps we see the avoidance of margin calls leading to well ...margin calls... or debt that cannot be serviced

What I am afraid of in a environment such as this is the potential of the banking community to destroy itself taking the man in the street down with them..

History may prove me wrong.. but I fear that the self preservation culture of which we are all part has turned on us. This culture that brought us cheap credit and the "buy now pay later" idealism has moved on the the "pay later" stage... :eek:

I think two quotes from history should help understanding the really big picture

1) "Banking was conceived in iniquity and was born in sin. The Bankers own the earth. Take it away from them, but leave them the power to create deposits, and with the flick of the pen they will create enough deposits to buy it back again.
However, take it away from them, and all the great fortunes like mine will disappear and they ought to disappear, for this would be a happier and better world to live in.
But, if you wish to remain the slaves of Bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, let them continue to create deposits."
Sir Josiah Stamp (1880-1941), President of the Bank of England in the 1920's, the second richest man in Britain at the time.

2) "If the (American) people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks...will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.... The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs.

... The modern theory of the perpetuation of debt has drenched the earth with blood, and crushed its inhabitants under burdens ever accumulating." - Thomas Jefferson, President of the United States (1809)

Last edited:
As it is the Banks and the Credit Cruch which has gripped the people....Here are more quotes from Josiah Stamp.....about Banks....!

Banking was conceived in iniquity and born in sin.

But if you want to continue to be slaves of the banks and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let bankers continue to create money and control credit.

The Government are very keen on amassing statistics - they collect them, add them, raise them to the nth power, take the cube root and prepare wonderful diagrams. But you must never forget that every one of these figures comes in the first instance from the village watchman, who just puts down what he damn pleases

The individual source of the statistics may easily be the weakest link.

The modern banking system manufactures money out of nothing.

Last edited: