Fundamental Analysis UK Housing Boom – Is the Party Over?

Recently the IMF said that the UK's property was overvalued and this could result in a spectacular slump. House prices in the US have slowed down considerably since 2005.

The UK avoided the Recession in 2001 when many countries went into deep recession. Post 9/11 the UK interest rates were at the lowest for many decades, this resulted in a boom in the UK housing market as the cost of mortgages was at its lowest. The low cost of borrowing also saw a boom in the buy to let market with many investors having a big portfolio of properties.

Not only was the UK government on a spending spree but also the UK consumer, due to the easy availability of credit. Currently the UK personal debt level has exceeded more than £1 trillion. It is expected that we could see a significant rise in insolvencies during 2008. The "time bomb" is ticking and could explode at any time; it could be triggered by any of the shocks to the economy. The Northern Rock fiasco was just the first such trigger, which resulted in savers withdrawing over £14 billion from the ailing Rock - no doubt the next 12 months we will witness more such triggers, which will dent overall consumer confidence. This could eventually lead to a big fall in the house prices.

Many "experts" feel that 2008 could see further rises in house prices, and some optimistic forecast has been put at over a 10% increase. Housing demand is influenced by the "feel good factor" resulting into the expectation that the house prices will continue to rise. Some of the reasons for a boom in house prices are;
  • Cheap mortgage rates post 9/11
  • Availability of easy credit
  • Speculation of ongoing price increases
  • Buy to let investors having large portfolio of properties
  • Amateur investors now joining the buy to let bandwagon

The worrying part is when amateur investors join the party; it's likely that we may have seen the peak! One can see similarities with the technology stock boom of 2000. Many investors bought at the peak and after several years they have yet to recoup their losses.

The past year has seen many amateur investors venture into the buy to let market for the first time. This has meant that they have had to buy at the peak, with the mortgage rates almost doubling in the past 5 years.

Currently prices are being supported by the expectations that they will continue to rise, and when this increase fails to materialise the bubble could burst. The house price inflation has been at its fastest this decade as can be seen from the following graph; and since 1995 we have not seen a dip in prices, it has just gone up in one straight line!

Image1-127.jpg

In addition, there are other serious issues with the economy which could trigger a sharp correction, not only in house prices but also the stock market. Some of the disturbing triggers will be;</span />
  • Lenders offering loans of up to 5 times multiples to salary, thus borrowers are overstretching themselves.</span />
  • Increases in mortgage rates have yet to have an impact and often this takes time to react. The mortgage rates have nearly doubled since 2002.</span />
  • Nearly 1 million Britons now own a second home, often as a buy to let investment. When the downturn in economy comes, panic is likely to set in amongst the buy to let investors, which would result in the market being flooded with house for sale.
  • The US sub-prime mortgage crisis also poses more risks for the UK's banking system. In the US the crisis has lead to plunging property prices, creating a loss of consumer confidence with billions of dollars in loss.
  • UK Job prospects are worsening, with many economist predicting unemployment to rise to 1.8 million+. The banking & financial sector has been a big driver for employment growth. Many firms in the housing market; this could result into deteriorating earnings and leading to staff cutbacks.
  • Consumer spending could see a slow down when faced with deteriorating economic and job conditions. Once again this would affect consumer spending, thus lower earnings.
  • Inflationary pressures are driven by high commodity prices, as demand from emerging economies like India and China continue to increase. This not only has an impact on the monetary policies like the interest rates but will have significant impact on earnings, which could lead to a big fall in stock market.

Buy-to-let bubble:
Is the party over? So far the landlords have had it easy, the cheap mortgage rates ensured that the rent covered the mortgage repayments and they benefited from the significant capital appreciation of their portfolio. It surely has been the best investment strategy for the past decade, as many investors have made fortunes and many have "retired" young.

Currently it is estimated that there are over a million buy to let mortgages, and landlords are now feeling the pinch. Past 2 years has seen significant rise in mortgage repayments and we are now seeing signs of price increase slowing down. The rents have not kept pace with outgoings, thus landlord profits have gone down. In some cases landlords are losing on their portfolio. Some areas in the UK have seen an oversupply of buy to let properties resulting into falling yields.

Although year on year prices rose by nearly 5% to December 2007, but the house prices fell for a second consecutive month in December according to Nationwide building society. New mortgages on a buy to let are also slowing, with many lenders now seeking up to 30% deposit and also a requirement that the rent on the property equates to 125% of monthly mortgage payment.

Unless the investor has a larger deposit the rental yield may be insufficient to cover the cost of the mortgage and with no expectations of a capital growth, you are likely to see significant drop in the buy-to-let mortgages. This could even result in many existing landlords starting to liquidate their portfolios. The only incentive to retain portfolios is the expectation of further capital gains. If this expectation evaporates and with falling yield, then there would be no point in buy to let investments.

Newer entrants to the buy to let market could soon face going into negative equity as soon as we start seeing declines in the prices. Furthermore, should the banks suffer to the extent of the housing bust, the fallout would be astronomical!

Changes to the Capital Gains could also contribute to the housing crash. The tax on property gains has been cut from 40% to 18% effective from 1st April 2008. So those investors who are sitting on fat profits would be tempted to lock in gains and also benefit from the lower tax.

Housing Repossessions
2007 has seen a significant rise in home repossessions, and it is expected that this figure will increase considerably in 2008. Rising property repossessions normally spell bad news for the property market creating a supply of houses, which are normally sold below market prices and this can dent confidence.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) has warned that the number of home repossessions is set to soar to levels not seen since the housing crash of the 1990s. It is also expected that there will be an increase in mortgage repayment arrears in the coming year.

Having said that, the current situation is very different from the 1990s. Firstly in the 90s interest rates were very high and peaked at 16%. We are probably unlikely to see huge scale cases of negative equity like we had in the 90s, due to the huge equity homeowners are sitting on at the moment.

What to do - Action Points?
  • If you are a homeowner and if you are contemplating selling your home, then the time to act is now,given that sharp falls may just be round the corner unless the government can delay the inevitable by aggressive reduction of interest rates.
  • Cash is king - with so much uncertainty, undoubtedly cash is king. Fixed interest and government bonds are increasingly becoming popular.
  • Stock market investment - Although we have seen healthy gains in the markets worldwide, longer term it offers good opportunity. Many analysts are calling for sharp falls in the markets and this should provide a good opportunity of bargain hunting. Emerging markets should also offer a good opportunity in the event of a market correction.

Conclusion
Just as in year 2000, when we saw the NASDAQ stock market boom, we are now seeing some similarities - irrational exuberance in the housing market.

During the NASDAQ boom, we saw many amateur investors jump into the market at the peak, we are now experiencing a similar situation. Many amateur investors are jumping into the buy to let market.

As with all market activity, prices do not go up in one straight line and you will always have price retracement, the question is how big the retracement will be? There is no doubt that a significant house price correction is on the cards, the only question remains is when? It is a case of any one of the triggers to set in - as soon as the first domino falls, panic will set in resulting into significant declines in house prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Normbeef,

A valuation is always carried out for a re-mortgage.

Your post basically describes the issues surrounding negative equity issues - people may want to sell but can't afford to take the hit, ie their outstanding mortgage is greater than the value of the house. If they can't cover the difference, they have to stay where they are.

Margin calls aren't going to happen - it will mean new mortgage agreements/terms to the detriment of the homebuyer (who will not sign), and the banks will not be able to enforce by law.

Grant.

Indeed... Grant... so what happens next... we seem perhaps to be touching on the "real" danger underlying the market... perhaps the banks will not call their margins directly... but then force the borrowers to have to stay in their property on a higher premium..(if they can afford it)

But what then if the borrower thinks.....
I cannot afford the mortgage at this rate..!!
I cant re-finance because I cannot afford the margin...!!
I cant sell becuase the sale price wont cover the debt !!!

So I am handing back the keys...

result...
Bank swallows the loss... ok... magnify this by everyone who has 20% or less equity from the peak of the market (lets say last August) As they are the Primary risk candidates at this time as Equity is erroded... I would say this could be a pretty big problem !!

Norm,

There’s a saying, ‘If you owe the bank £2000 you have a problem; if you owe the bank £2m, the bank has a problem’. The banks are in the latter position with little room to manoeuvre – I think it’s only a matter of time before they start to experience the problems of their US counterparts. This means massive foreclosures which aggrevates over-supply, which pushes down prices further, which further diminishes the value of the banks’ holdings of defaulted/re-possessed properties.

No mortgage rate is fixed forever and most will revert to a floating rate but this is fixed at the outset of the mortgage. Terms cannot be revised except for new mortgages (and re-mortgages).

Your suggestion re higher rates is a standard approach – the higher the risk with regard to credit rating/default, the higher the rate. It seems the banks are placing greater emphasis on this but only for new borrowers.

The banks have big, big problems (witness HSBC and their 'buy to let' portfolio) and they can’t do much about it. Appealing for government support would spell political suicide Labour.

Grant.

yep its a VERY difficult issue... I couldnt agree more ... but just 12 months ago you could easily go shopping around for another lender and be signed up in a week or 2 even without considering the standard Varible...

The scary thing is here we are not talking about Sub prime borrowers... we are talking about normal people with normal jobs losing their margin...

Also being a bit of a house developer (on the side) I am also seeing "many" more prime land opportunities coming onto the general market... in the recent past these are snapped up by the local builders / development companies before they are anywhere near the Public domain... It appears that some of these companies have either stopped buying land or are selling off...

I did have a theory that unlike the USA which has massive supply of space to build, the one thing that could shore up the UK market would be the lack of supply in building land.

This could underpin price somewhat.. but now even this is showing some signs of weakening

mmm yeah... but is bloody freezing up there... and its full of jocks !!!

(only joking before you all start painting your faces blue and shouting "Freedom")

Scotland does seem to be bucking the property trend... but with free higher education etc etc.. all paid for by the English its no suprise is it... !!

Remember, based on the US experience in places like Vegas, the up trend can die and houses will "hold their value" for quite a while (nearly 2 yrs I think) because people won't give up what they've got. Then, finally, as a group they recognize that it isn't coming back and the prices finally correct.

Remember, based on the US experience in places like Vegas, the up trend can die and houses will "hold their value" for quite a while (nearly 2 yrs I think) because people won't give up what they've got. Then, finally, as a group they recognize that it isn't coming back and the prices finally correct.

Maybe if they turned off one or two of their bright lights they can bloomin afford their mortgages. (n)

Excellent points.

“not talking about Sub prime borrowers”. In the UK they wouldn’t get a mortgage. The majority of the problems are/will be those who maxed-out on competetive terms (low introductory fixed-rate, high earnings multiples, high LTV) at the top of the market. As rates increase, they’ll be scuppered.

That’s interesting re land prices. The rising price of land could be absorbed by buyers but builders/developers can only pass on so much. When this reaches a limit the only room for manouevre is in profit margins, then it becomes a question of how low can these go.

No buying or only selling of land is unusual. Those with deep pockets generally buy land, regardless of the state of the market, for the long term (5,10-years hence). There may be shortage of prime land in the UK but there is certainly plenty of brown-field sites to satisfy most of the demand, I reckon.

What I don’t understand re the US is that earnings are on a par with the UK but property is around half the price. But their problems are massive - this obviously comes back to how these mortgages were subsequently repackaged, sliced-and-diced and resold as MBS's, CDO's, etc, ie pass the parcel re transfer of risk.

Grant.

BSD this is great!!!
Have been looking for this "Golden Rule" - Thanks for posting it here.

Hey Bhavin, I appreciate your comments, agree with most of the things that you say, except that you put it very aggressively. Well as I said before India has a long long way to go.

Is it stupidity? Laziness? NO
It is just that most Indians are "jealous" of others. And history has proved it!

The Arabs conquered India because of inability of indians to outdo each other!
Same case with the Brits
what about the 1857 was of independence! - Indians had it all, they would have gained independence much earlier, but treason, and jealousy.

Though I am Arab, but my roots are also from India, and I have also read the Bhagavad Gita!

One thing you will rarely find in the British or European society is that they may be opponents in politics, but they will NEVER EVER prejudice their "National Interests"

No matter what people may say of the Brits, but they have some great qualities
so yes, Hats off to Britain!

and yes $1.4 trillion stashed in the swiss bank accounts by Indians, I doubt if teh Brits or Europeans would do this!

Hey guys this is such a great thread!
is the party Over!

Been hijacked by politics - Lets just discuss Housing shall we?
PEACE!
Smila and the whole world smiles back at you!
:)

Excellent points.

“not talking about Sub prime borrowers”. In the UK they wouldn’t get a mortgage. The majority of the problems are/will be those who maxed-out on competetive terms (low introductory fixed-rate, high earnings multiples, high LTV) at the top of the market. As rates increase, they’ll be scuppered.

That’s interesting re land prices. The rising price of land could be absorbed by buyers but builders/developers can only pass on so much. When this reaches a limit the only room for manouevre is in profit margins, then it becomes a question of how low can these go.

(note) most builders use as a rough measure the 30/30/30 rule 30% land 30% build 30% profit... so not "massive" profit considering the risk and potential length of exposure to the market.. (could be years after legals / build / sell )

No buying or only selling of land is unusual. Those with deep pockets generally buy land, regardless of the state of the market, for the long term (5,10-years hence). There may be shortage of prime land in the UK but there is certainly plenty of brown-field sites to satisfy most of the demand, I reckon.

What I don’t understand re the US is that earnings are on a par with the UK but property is around half the price. But their problems are massive - this obviously comes back to how these mortgages were subsequently repackaged, sliced-and-diced and resold as MBS's, CDO's, etc, ie pass the parcel re transfer of risk.

Grant.

I have read lately that many UK builders are either selling off or actually pulling the plug on projects for now... I am certainly seeing real evidence of this just around the local area I live...

There are number of plots coming to market now with and without planning permission that have been siting around for quite some time and the prices are plummeting... you see most of them are not mortagable as they are "brownfield" i.e structural problems / deralict etc.. or they do not have planning permission so even the self builders cannot raise funding against them...

I have also seen a number of projects for sale by local builders where they are trying to sell "off plan" before even starting work..

Other evidence is that completed projects are being rented as they are just not selling... there are a number of Brand new flats next to my local station (Liverpool Street line) that are now up for LET as they have been stuck on the market for nearly a year..

Hey guys this is such a great thread!
is the party Over!

Been hijacked by politics - Lets just discuss Housing shall we?
PEACE!
Smila and the whole world smiles back at you!
:)

If there's 3 good things to come out of the (potential) housing bust it's -

1) The property bores will shut up, 'did you know how much my house has gone up' etc etc

2) People will realise that a house should be regarded as somewhere to live and if it goes up in value great, but if not then who cares. Basically it's not a speculative investment.

3) Many people will start to realise that downward prices are actually great. Because if you want to move up (bigger house, better part of town etc) then yes you'll lose say 25% of your present home but the more expensive one will also be down by 25% which means you're quids in. For some strange reason the majority (who wanted to trade up) never seemed to understand this simple point and just thought it was great that their house had gone up by 100% or so.

1) The property bores will shut up, 'did you know how much my house has gone up' etc etc

YEP... damn right... but soon you will be sick of people saying "I am skint" my house has gone down so much...

2) People will realise that a house should be regarded as somewhere to live and if it goes up in value great, but if not then who cares. Basically it's not a speculative investment.

RUBBISH...:mad: what are you some kind of communist ??? its a market just like any other.. and long may it continue... If the government want to change it.. then they should put a massive tax levy on the sale of homes..

3) Many people will start to realise that downward prices are actually great. Because if you want to move up (bigger house, better part of town etc) then yes you'll lose say 25% of your present home but the more expensive one will also be down by 25% which means you're quids in. For some strange reason the majority (who wanted to trade up) never seemed to understand this simple point and just thought it was great that their house had gone up by 100% or so.

Yep... but the point here is that you still need the equity to move up the ladder even though the prices above you fall by a larger monetary value... you loose your equity on your home as well dont forget... then moving up the market is harder because you need to re-finance with a bigger percentage deposit to buy the next level :eek:

This means that if you had a wide LTV value on your home then not only would this reduce as a result of price erosion on your own home, then it would be reduced again if you trade up... Thus increasing the risk of problems if the market continues to fall...

Also, if you do not have a small LTV against your home.. your chances of making a saving on a larger property are all but impossible unless you can stump up the deposit from somewhere...

1) The property bores will shut up, 'did you know how much my house has gone up' etc etc >> ( Agree)

2) People will realise that a house should be regarded as somewhere to live and if it goes up in value great, but if not then who cares. Basically it's not a speculative investment. ( But property has been hijacked by the speculators, i know of many many young guys and gals having 100+ property and who jumped on the BTL ladder, this has meant few properties for genuine FTB! They have simply been priced out. Also I somewhat agree with the author that in some ways if 9/11 did not occur then we would not have seen the low interest rates, which is what was used by the speculators to pounce. I would love to see these BTL investors slaughtered!
( agree, but when you trade up, the small house you sell will likely to be bought up by the speculators and investors, leaving the FTB still struggling!

What is needed is a really good meltdown to get rid of the speculators, because lets face you dont give a damn ifthe house you live in goes up or down, as it is your home!!!
However it is the investors and the stupif FTB who mortaged to 105% and 110% LTV who will suffer!

Once they are out of the system, we will have equilibrium!

some of you may remember this guy interviewed on TV boasting of having 850+ house!!!!
and this vulture is waiting for a meltdown so that he can benefit from the great recession!

Vultures like this are waiting for the poor to suffer
and once the poor are finished, the vultures will pounce and then increase their property portfolio

Vulture.jpg

True - millionnaires are made from the recessions