UK House price charts?

“Much of the recent softness in measures of housing market activity and house prices is likely to relate to the expiry of the stamp duty holiday in late March. This provided a temporary boost to house prices in early 2012 as buyers brought forward purchases that would otherwise have taken place later in the year.

“This effect should fade in the months ahead, and measures such as the Government’s NewBuy scheme should provide some support to buyer demand. However, the challenging economic backdrop suggests that a significant acceleration in prices or activity is unlikely in the near term."

No sh!t Sherlock! For all those low interest rates and cries from the politicians about trying to ‘support’ the housing market, code for keeping prices artificially high, the market (or ‘reality’ as we like to look at it) always wins out in the end.

And so it is with the housing market in the UK. Despite all the best efforts of the central planners, the Nationwide have just announced that UK average home prices fell 0.2% for the month of April and are a nearly down 1% since last April.

what should be painfully obvious to one and all by now, that all government does when it intervenes to try and ‘support’ a market it ends up bringing forward demand, which gives a temporary boost that everyone cheers, and then ends with a slump.

I am glad I sold my property in the U.K. I might buy one again when the pound becomes worthless and I can buy a house with a few ounces of gold.:cheesy::smart:

“Much of the recent softness in measures of housing market activity and house prices is likely to relate to the expiry of the stamp duty holiday in late March. This provided a temporary boost to house prices in early 2012 as buyers brought forward purchases that would otherwise have taken place later in the year.

“This effect should fade in the months ahead, and measures such as the Government’s NewBuy scheme should provide some support to buyer demand. However, the challenging economic backdrop suggests that a significant acceleration in prices or activity is unlikely in the near term."

I am glad I sold my property in the U.K. I might buy one again when the pound becomes worthless and I can buy a house with a few ounces of gold.:cheesy::smart:

Sorry to hear that NT. Redbridge has seen stable and some rising prices. Not to mention rental income. South East likewise. Worthing has unbelievable development with new flats by the sea, swimming and fitness centre by the sea front and growing tourism.

I'm gearing up to buy my third dare I say. Also considering buying a small farm holding around Wessex way some place - with a view to growing English Walnut. I was thinking it would be good to leave something of substance to the children and a walnut tree farm sounds like a good idea.

Nuts to harvest and wood to sell on maturity. Possibly with some recreational grounds and events to host. What do you think?

I'd be careful about gold if I were you. I hope you got out when I called it... ;)

Sorry to hear that NT. Redbridge has seen stable and some rising prices. Not to mention rental income. South East likewise. Worthing has unbelievable development with new flats by the sea, swimming and fitness centre by the sea front and growing tourism.

I'm gearing up to buy my third dare I say. Also considering buying a small farm holding around Wessex way some place - with a view to growing English Walnut. I was thinking it would be good to leave something of substance to the children and a walnut tree farm sounds like a good idea.

Nuts to harvest and wood to sell on maturity. Possibly with some recreational grounds and events to host. What do you think?

I'd be careful about gold if I were you. I hope you got out when I called it... ;)

There you have it, Atilla pretends to support the 99% when in reality he is a budding member of the 1%. This is also the reason why he hates the free market. You see, if the free market were allowed to function as it should, property prices would be much lower, interest rates would be much higher and Atilla would be bankrupt.

any fool can see the UK property market is 30-50% over valued. a lot of sheeple still believe that property can only go up. only last week one of my friends said he wished he had bought a bigger house 3 years ago because the the profit you would make is higher. He still thinks the market is going up even when I showed in a house that sold for 350k in 2007 on the market for 250k all because there is a 2 bit chancer around the corner who has a similar house on the market for a stupid price. I own a couple of UK properties that I purchased in 2007 right at the peak so I have a vested interest in prices going up, I bought them through greed everyone was jumping on the bandwagon and I wanted a piece of the action. I wish I had never got involved. outside of London the economy is ****ed, people are not spending anything and we are only just getting started on the austerity/cuts. sometimes I wonder if most people are genuinely retarded or they just prefer to put the blinkers on and drink through it.

that said a home is a home not an investment and if you are buying with deep pockets and never intend to sell the price fluctuations are irrelevant. my plan is to wait for the inevitable falls and buy a huge tudor mansion out in the sticks with a min 50% deposit. If the price falls further I couldnt care less as I would never sell it, it would stay within the family trust.

I was chatting to another numpty who was thinking of buying a villa in spain reduced from 250k to 100k euros. I told him the market has nowhere near bottomed over there, you will be able buy it for peanuts in new pesetas in 5-10 years time. He did have a point in that he could buy it for cash and didnt care if it fell further in value and planned to spend 2/3rds of his time there so I guess that is fine. Problems will come when you get stuck in an area which is totally derelict and mob rule sets in. Absolute nothing stopping 1000s of young spaniards marching into these empty places and just squatting, and starting the revolution. rofl.

Last edited:
you'd love it in Liverpool Atilla. 10% down y/y

Well there is the balance of life. Didn't want to say we are approximately 6-7% up here down in the South and Redbridge cause I didn't want NT to feel bad about selling his property short and buying gold at the highs.

Hang on in there chum. Good times just around the corner. (y)

Has anyone with property in london thought about protecting price, its back above 2007 levels and I was wondering is there a product such as an ETF that I can sell and hold against my property declining. Should I sell "Builders" ? but I feel a lot of them bought land in london when the price declined in 2007 and will not lose value like property prices and you could get a market rally on quantative easing

I would love some suggestions about any products out there without having to sell my property itself

Hey Atilla,

Close call again, 0.7 down for the year.

Hello Mr K,

Yes you win congratulations. Monies £200 will be deposited to your account in next few days.

Only consolation I have is that the falls in prices (accepting wide regional variations) have not been half as dramatic as some were predicting.

Steady as she goes. Once again well done. (y)

Good man.

Happy to go the same for next year?

No thank you as twice is enough for me. :)

I still favour increasing property portfolio over stocks and shares. I now have a preference for some land. Somewhere around Sussex perhaps 10-20 acres or so.

Be interested in your opinion. I get the impression you are still pessimistic about property?

Property in London will rise and continue to do so but not for obvious TA reasons. What I have been made aware of is that gazumping has started again and on a much greater level than previously, ie at £30K a time. Who are the buyers ? The answer is Chinese, Russians and Greeks but whether this will spread outwards to the rest of the UK remains to be seen.

Property in London will rise and continue to do so but not for obvious TA reasons. What I have been made aware of is that gazumping has started again and on a much greater level than previously, ie at £30K a time. Who are the buyers ? The answer is Chinese, Russians and Greeks but whether this will spread outwards to the rest of the UK remains to be seen.

Yes very true and including some of the rich French trying to escape taxation is likely to be searching too.

I think the move out of London will happen either for quality of life or downsizing reasons. It may take 5 to 10 years but the deflux out of cosmopolitan cities will start as a consequence of changing economic factors between East and West.

I've always thought with improved telecommunications one can work remotely from anywhere for many service based roles and more people are doing this - hot desking at work or between different sites. Mobile technology has also improved such that one could work off a tablet.

Manufacturing industrial based tasks need space and land which is far too expensive in London anyhow. The demographic factors and deflux from cities will start if not already imo.

There is so much free office space in London I'm surprised rental prices haven't collapsed already.

Just heard today that after an open day last Saturday, a friend has received 2 offers one of which was at the asking price. Not cheap either at £600K+

The buyers who offered the asking price have been accepted and they are from China. The couple also brought their mother to view the property on the second viewing - who also gave it her blessing. They have 1/3 deposit in cash and a letter with offer of a mortgage.

I'm not sure if it is just my impression but I'm seeing more sold signs on properties too.

We are very close to take off and I'm feeling positive vibes all around... Good news I'm hearing all around are increasing at exponential rates... (y)